Total Posts:  5970
Joined  09-11-2012

03 March 2018 18:00

unsmoked - 03 March 2018 12:59 PM
NL. - 03 March 2018 12:05 PM
unsmoked - 02 March 2018 11:49 AM
NL. - 01 March 2018 12:50 PM
unsmoked - 01 March 2018 09:58 AM

At mealtime, do you use right effort to taste the soup?

At mealtime today, I mistakenly poured my salad dressing on my black beans (and was going to go ahead and do a full switch, saying to heck with it and putting the sour cream on the salad, except I wasn’t hungry by the time I finished the beans, which were surprisingly not bad covered in salad dressing.)

So… yeah.

This summer, your bean salad gets a ribbon at the County Fair.  (don’t let on you used Newman’s Own Italian)

Sweet. Now I just have to create a market for my innovative sour cream salad dressing.

Here’s a photo.  Tweek this by the addition of slivered Greek olives?  https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/how-to-give-your-salad-dressing-a-creamy-upgrade-article 

On Discovery Channel’s Shark Tank, entrepreneurs say they invested their kids’ college fund and their parents’ nest egg to get started.  (admitted, their ideas aren’t as good as an innovative sour cream salad dressing).

Lol, perhaps I won’t make millions, but thanks for the salad dressing tip. I would try it this evening, except I am ceremoniously making the traditional food of my people. Ok, that’s only half true, if I were doing it ceremoniously I would be wearing Lululemon yoga pants. I am, however, wearing cloth shoes, which I think counts as an informal ceremony (seriously, I have heard so much about these chickpeas in my cohort that they could have their own talk show.)

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8636
Joined  20-02-2006

04 March 2018 11:17

NL. - 03 March 2018 06:00 PM
unsmoked - 03 March 2018 12:59 PM
NL. - 03 March 2018 12:05 PM
unsmoked - 02 March 2018 11:49 AM
NL. - 01 March 2018 12:50 PM
unsmoked - 01 March 2018 09:58 AM

At mealtime, do you use right effort to taste the soup?

At mealtime today, I mistakenly poured my salad dressing on my black beans (and was going to go ahead and do a full switch, saying to heck with it and putting the sour cream on the salad, except I wasn’t hungry by the time I finished the beans, which were surprisingly not bad covered in salad dressing.)

So… yeah.

This summer, your bean salad gets a ribbon at the County Fair.  (don’t let on you used Newman’s Own Italian)

Sweet. Now I just have to create a market for my innovative sour cream salad dressing.

Here’s a photo.  Tweek this by the addition of slivered Greek olives?  https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/how-to-give-your-salad-dressing-a-creamy-upgrade-article 

On Discovery Channel’s Shark Tank, entrepreneurs say they invested their kids’ college fund and their parents’ nest egg to get started.  (admitted, their ideas aren’t as good as an innovative sour cream salad dressing).

Lol, perhaps I won’t make millions, but thanks for the salad dressing tip. I would try it this evening, except I am ceremoniously making the traditional food of my people. Ok, that’s only half true, if I were doing it ceremoniously I would be wearing Lululemon yoga pants. I am, however, wearing cloth shoes, which I think counts as an informal ceremony (seriously, I have heard so much about these chickpeas in my cohort that they could have their own talk show.)

I could win a contest for the fastest preparation of chick peas.  What I do is open a can of organic garbanzos, empty half of it into a bowl and voila!  Serve.

It is interesting to see what people from other cultures do with our staple foods.  Sitting down in a Japanese ‘snack’ (pub) in Nagoya I was surprised to see on the menu that I could order a serving of raisin-butter.  This was a small dish of chilled butter slices impregnated with raisins.  A Japanese couple were visiting here and Hisae volunteered to prepare dinner.  “Hisae is a master chef!” her husband declared.  One of the side dishes she served was half an avocado with a dollop of vanilla ice cream in the seed cavity.  In Japan, I found out that Hisae was indeed a master chef when using familiar ingredients.

In Japan, when I broached the subject of Zen in social encounters, people shook their heads.  “Too difficult!  Too difficult!”  (Muzukashi sugiru!)

During a Zen masters’ lecture, I noticed his frequent use of the word, “muzukashi’.  Wondering what it meant I turned to my translator.  Making a hand gesture for me to be quiet, she consulted her dictionary and whispered, “Difficult!”  Since she used her dictionary, I thought she meant it was too complex to explain to a gaijin, especially in the middle of a talk.  (gaijin = foreigner)

[ Edited: 04 March 2018 11:19 by unsmoked]

< 1 2