1 2 3 >  Last ›

Succinct

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

02 March 2018 17:35

Succinct communication uses the necessary number of words to describe the idea or point it is trying to make. 

Succinctness in communication reflects 2 main properties.

1. It shows a precise understanding of what one is trying to say.
2. It demonstrates that the person who is communicating respects the time of its audience.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  19-08-2010

03 March 2018 02:01

Terse verse.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

03 March 2018 05:34

MARTIN_UK - 03 March 2018 02:01 AM

Terse verse.

It is concise.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  8994
Joined  20-10-2006

03 March 2018 06:14

Curt words.
Ungracious sagacious.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2148
Joined  21-10-2016

03 March 2018 06:33

Skipshot - 03 March 2018 06:14 AM

Curt words.
Ungracious sagacious.

Yup.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  19-08-2010

03 March 2018 06:38

Short report.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

03 March 2018 07:47

My point about being succinct has nothing to do with speaking in monosyllabic banter.
I can equally argue why well written narrative conveys useful but different information.

Much of what we (ALL OF US) write in our posts is superfluous. Some of what is written is hard to follow. It detracts from the point we are trying to make.
To be diplomatic to those of us who “overwrite”, it is probably because in the enthusiasm of the moment we “do” stream of consciousness writing.
To be more critical many of us do not aggressively edit what we write.
This current discussion of succinctness stems from some friendly (at least I considered it friendly) banter on the “stupidity thread”
It specifically is a response to Nhoj’s comment on post #119

Nhoj:
”...It means someone lacks the stamina or patience to perceive something in its entirety. It means the topic is now sanitized and boring and of no interest to me. It means that this sentence, place far into this paragraph, is unlikely to be read. It means that the second half of this last sentence of the paragraph is more likely to be read than its first half.
Communication is reduced to coarse meanings and short-scale malarkey.”

In particular this comment
“Personally, I don’t care for succinctness.”
is what triggered this thread.

When I mean something is written succinctly, I mean a reader can easily understand the point being made.
If it takes a few paragraphs as this post does, then so be it.
Excess writing contributes to misunderstanding.
Nhoj is correct about one thing,
when I try to read long and windy posts in which the topic becomes obscured by non-pertinent words,
I often stop reading it after the third sentence.

I edited this post multiple times.
It took me 50 minutes to write.

Let me give an example of lack of succinctness
It took me a while to try to understand what Nhoj was trying to say, because of his embracement of word embellishment.
I decided to rewrite his post.
Keep in mind that i don’t agree with all of what I think he is trying to say.
also please note that this post is longer than his post.
Succinctness is not just about using few words, its about using the necesary number of words to make the point.

see the next post

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

03 March 2018 07:50

From Post #82 on the Stupidity thread

Nhoj Morley - 17 February 2018 12:13 PM

Should any fawning chorus line-like formations occur, it is up to the troubadours and bards to remind that, while our perceptions may be simple, reality is not.

To wit. I shall now, in front of everyone, equate the two following remarks and declared them both to be a mental folly.

“My theism is based a personal experience of God that cannot be contested by any logical argument”

“Other people see the world differently than I do because they are stupid.”

Academia has yet to free itself from the notion that information bestows ‘smartness’. It is a matter of liberty. Intelligence is left unharvested by restrictions imposed on our perceptions, a trained auto-blinding of our perceptual abilities and purposefully stunting those abilities in childhood. It adds up to stupidity but the main ingredient is frustrated intelligence.

rewritten by me

Nhoj Morley - 17 February 2018 12:13 PM

While our perceptions may be simple, reality is not.

These remarks are both mental folly.

“My theism is based a personal experience of God that cannot be contested by any logical argument”

“Other people see the world differently than I do because they are stupid.”

Some people think these are true because of a trained and purposeful stunting of perceptual abilities beginning in childhood. This type of thinking is not stupidity but rather frustrated intelligence.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6257
Joined  08-12-2006

03 March 2018 08:11

I nominate GAD for Most Succinct Poster.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3305
Joined  20-11-2013

03 March 2018 08:11

jdrnd - 03 March 2018 07:50 AM

From Post #82 on the Stupidity thread ...

rewritten by me ...

I prefer the original.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  6458
Joined  22-02-2014

03 March 2018 08:35

jdrnd - 02 March 2018 05:35 PM

Succinct communication uses the necessary number of words to describe the idea or point it is trying to make. 

Succinctness in communication reflects 2 main properties.

1. It shows a precise understanding of what one is trying to say.
2. It demonstrates that the person who is communicating respects the time of its audience.

One of my main gigs is to teach new technical authors how to teach. Point #2 is crucial in this regard, remembering that everyone on this forum is smart AND busy.

But striving for “concise” and “succinct” can easily create false economies. If done well, they do indeed save the reader some time. But they are hard to get right. If the writer’s goal really is to make sure his readers are “getting it”, then the occasional “in other words…” can help clear up any unintentional confusion or ambiguity.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

03 March 2018 08:44

icehorse - 03 March 2018 08:35 AM

If the writer’s goal really is to make sure his readers are “getting it”, then the occasional “in other words…” can help clear up any unintentional confusion or ambiguity.

I am in complete agreement with you.
Succinct writing uses the necesary amount of words needed to convey the point.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2148
Joined  21-10-2016

03 March 2018 09:02

Some points that come to mind (in no particular order):

— The manner of writing should depend on the medium; i.e. discussions on a forum are very different than what one would want in an essay/paper.
— What someone might consider superfluous information also provides insight into another’s personality, gives character to writing, and can help the reader understand how and why the writer holds a particular point of view.
— Descriptive language can provide nuance.  (This point may be superfluous to the one above – oh well.)
— The reader should have the courtesy and patience to hear another out; if not willing to do so, they can simply ignore that poster.
— I love how Nhoj writes and wouldn’t want one word removed or changed.
So-called ‘succinctness’ has been used on this forum to ridicule others in a dismissive manner.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5866
Joined  22-02-2005

03 March 2018 09:06

jdrnd - 03 March 2018 07:50 AM

rewritten by me

I appreciate the hard work. I’ll compose an appropriate response.

In the meantime, Jeff can announce his new series of popular books retold for people on fire.

“I don’t have time for embellishments or good grammar! I’m on fire!”

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  2827
Joined  26-03-2013

03 March 2018 09:11

How many threads about the same topic can a patron start while still remaining succinct? 

We don’t get to decide what other people are thinking or twist what other people are saying let alone rewrite what people have written.  Like some sort of lunatic.  Long winded posters tend to exhaust their audience, when they don’t deliver on the goods, compelling them to stop reading.  Just as patrons that routinely take things out of context, to control the conversation, tend to lose the trust of their audience compelling them to stop reading.  Style and form are the dealers choice.

It’s all about knowing your audience.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

03 March 2018 09:20

Jan_CAN - 03 March 2018 09:02 AM

So-called ‘succinctness’ has been used on this forum to ridicule others in a dismissive manner.

all words can be used in a dismissive manner.

The thread and the topic of succinctness refers to clarity in writing.

Jan_CAN - 03 March 2018 09:02 AM

The reader should have the courtesy and patience to hear another out; if not willing to do so, they can simply ignore that poster.

If a poster is trying to communicate, one would assume he is trying to get his message to as many people as possible.
If there is a problem with his method isn’t it the correct thing, to give feedback.
Said differently using Icehorse’s suggestion “in other words”
If a person has chocolate on his face, isn’t it kinder to tell him about it, rather than let him walk around with the stain on his face all day?

As Icehorse pointed out   [“Respecting the time of the audience”] is crucial ....remembering that everyone on this forum is smart AND busy.
There is a responsibility of the poster not to waste the reader’s time.

1 2 3 >  Last ›