Trouble telling who is talking

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8006
Joined  20-02-2006

06 March 2018 10:49

In this present format, i often have trouble telling who is talking - those vertical lines don’t do it for me.  I forget what previous formats were like, but in the old days I always knew who was talking.  Is it just me?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6030
Joined  22-02-2005

06 March 2018 11:12

What format are you looking at? What does the white box at the bottom of the page say?

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4857
Joined  19-08-2010

06 March 2018 12:08

I know what Smokey means. We used to have boxes.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6030
Joined  22-02-2005

06 March 2018 12:40

I still see boxes. Developer has enough varied grey scale to suggest a containment graphic around each post.

I use an old fashioned computer with a ‘browser’ and not one of those far out shoe implants where you have to dance around to navigate.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2614
Joined  21-10-2016

06 March 2018 12:56

I also use an old fashioned computer with a browser.  The themes that I see as available are ‘Default’ and ‘Developer’.  With the Default theme, somewhat faint verticle lines must be followed to see whose post it is, but in the Developer theme quotes are separated by boxes.
(The theme is selected at the bottom of the forum homepage.)

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8006
Joined  20-02-2006

08 March 2018 12:27

Jan_CAN - 06 March 2018 12:56 PM

I also use an old fashioned computer with a browser.  The themes that I see as available are ‘Default’ and ‘Developer’.  With the Default theme, somewhat faint verticle lines must be followed to see whose post it is, but in the Developer theme quotes are separated by boxes.

Yes.  Thanks to you and Nhoj.

On another subject: In the old days I had Windows XP and could do all kinds of things on the paint program etc.  Now with Windows 10 it’s hopeless.  It’s like sitting down at a typewriter where all the keys are different; or getting into a car where the gas pedal is now for the left foot and the brake is operated by the right foot.  Also you’re supposed to drive on the left side of the road, and all the road signs have different icons, and you stop when the light is green etc.  You find yourself on a drawbridge while it’s going up.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2614
Joined  21-10-2016

08 March 2018 14:18

unsmoked - 08 March 2018 12:27 PM
Jan_CAN - 06 March 2018 12:56 PM

Yes.  Thanks to you and Nhoj.

On another subject: In the old days I had Windows XP and could do all kinds of things on the paint program etc.  Now with Windows 10 it’s hopeless.  It’s like sitting down at a typewriter where all the keys are different; or getting into a car where the gas pedal is now for the left foot and the brake is operated by the right foot.  Also you’re supposed to drive on the left side of the road, and all the road signs have different icons, and you stop when the light is green etc.  You find yourself on a drawbridge while it’s going up.

Yes, it’s quite a nuisance when programs we like change without necessarily offering any noticeable improvement.  We have to learn all over again how to do what we already knew how to do before.