1 2 > 

Does this make sense

Chaz

Chaz
Total Posts:  129
Joined  24-02-2018

09 March 2018 10:12

I had this idea, while trying to explain paranormal phenomena. I don’t believe in ghosts, nor any consciousness after death. This, however, is a contradiction to that entirely. The fact that we can only see one side of the moon, was a fun rabbit hole.

Imagine the moon as a type of lens rather than a mirror. It’s more like a laser eye in DVD players, transferring information through light and it’s reflection. It’s not just reflecting the sunlight to the earth, it’s reflecting what it shines on back to the sun, creating an echo. Recording and playing back the essence of life, allowing paranormal activity to manifest. It could also be the source of our consciousness. Consider, for a moment, the beliefs and superstition, about paranormal activity increasing at night. What if scientists can’t study it, because they can’t take into account, where the moon is, and how much of it is visible, and the earth’s location, in relation to it’s orbit around the sun?

The best I can describe this idea is by referring to some flashlights that didn’t need batteries. You only had to interact with one, for a moment, to get an electrical charge. There’s two kinds of these flashlights, the first are shake charge, and the second are crank charge. The first kind is where I got the idea. There is a magnet wrapped in a copper coil, that moves along the inside of another copper coil, creating an electrical charge, to use the flashlight. Imagine that on a cosmic scale, and instead of an electrical charge, the energy being produced is the support for life.

In this hypothetical, the Earth is the magnet, the moon is the coil wrapping around it, and the sun is the coil they move through. That’s the easiest way to imagine the idea, however the crank charge rotates in a circle, with more complicated layers, and imagining that on a cosmic scale, could be the entire solar system.

The idea stemmed from the fact that we only ever see one side of the moon, as it orbits earth. The religious say that’s a strong case for intelligent design, which it really is, but it couldn’t be done by metaphysical embodiments of any kind. Metaphysical has no ability to effect the physical, but I have a better explanation.

I add the paranormal aspect, because ghost activity happens mainly at night, at different levels, which could be depending on the moons location and state of visibility. Visibility would be the range of full moon, new moon, or any level of waxing/waning.

My idea suggests, that if aliens are so advanced they can travel through space at, or above, the speed of light, then it would make sense that the only thing they have left to learn about, is the afterlife, and we’re the test subjects. They’re creating echoes of life, that could reverberate indefinitely. What if that’s all paranormal activity is? Could our consciousness be maintained in the echo of our lives? Can the length and details of the echo be effected by what we do? How do you get an echo so strong, you keep your consciousness, and awareness?

People believe aliens have at least visited the planet, because of so much evidence they don’t know how to explain. The people who really believe, come up with crack pot theories, so here’s mine. While we’re looking for the Goldie Lox Zone, these assholes already found it. Welcome to Hell.

[ Edited: 09 March 2018 13:33 by Chaz]

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1779
Joined  31-10-2015

09 March 2018 13:17

Good fucking God, man!

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3292
Joined  26-03-2013

09 March 2018 13:51

nonverbal - 09 March 2018 01:17 PM

Good fucking God, man!

This is a revised version of what was posted here a couple of weeks ago under the title “Life in a Nutshell” (which I’m guessing is a metaphor) and relocated to The Hall of Holy Grails by Mr. Morley.  The reasons for which I think speak for themselves.

Welcome back, sir!

Chaz

Chaz
Joined  24-02-2018

09 March 2018 13:58

Shit.. Just delete this then

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6333
Joined  22-02-2005

09 March 2018 14:06

There is safety in The Hall of the Holy Grails.

Duplicate threading is discouraged. It rarely helps.

This is a naïve and incorrect view of technology applied to an imaginative cosmic woo structure. We have heard this one before.

This one has traction and an appearance by nv. Hang on, here we go…

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

09 March 2018 16:07

Sorry—I wasn’t aware of a previous post about this subject. I don’t want to interrupt anything that’s playing out here. It’s become difficult to know when a random (to me) paragraph has been written in the style of The Onion. For instance, Armstrong & Getty the other day discussed a story about a group of college students who objected to an author or lecturer referring to men as being, on average, taller than women. These students were saying that such a comparison is inaccurate. The story has some subtle background to it that explains things, but taken out of context, a paragraph can indeed appear nuts unless it’s being done in the spirit of The Onion or something.

Please don’t let me interrupt.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21484
Joined  11-03-2007

09 March 2018 17:51

nonverbal - 09 March 2018 04:07 PM

Sorry—I wasn’t aware of a previous post about this subject. I don’t want to interrupt anything that’s playing out here. It’s become difficult to know when a random (to me) paragraph has been written in the style of The Onion. For instance, Armstrong & Getty the other day discussed a story about a group of college students who objected to an author or lecturer referring to men as being, on average, taller than women. These students were saying that such a comparison is inaccurate. The story has some subtle background to it that explains things, but taken out of context, a paragraph can indeed appear nuts unless it’s being done in the spirit of The Onion or something.

Dave!  Nice to see you.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

10 March 2018 05:53

Thanks, folks. I got carried away with being succinct till my unexpected 4-word exertion yesterday.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

10 March 2018 07:53

NV!

nonverbal - 10 March 2018 05:53 AM

Thanks, folks. I got carried away with being succinct till my unexpected 4-word exertion yesterday.

Heh ... nice.

Good to see you back in here man!

Chaz

Chaz
Joined  24-02-2018

10 March 2018 08:54

Nhoj Morley - 09 March 2018 02:06 PM

There is safety in The Hall of the Holy Grails.

Duplicate threading is discouraged. It rarely helps.

This is a naïve and incorrect view of technology applied to an imaginative cosmic woo structure. We have heard this one before.

This one has traction and an appearance by nv. Hang on, here we go…

How am I naive and how am I incorrect? And yeah, I like to use analogies, it’s a good way to paint a picture, so it can best be understood. I don’t know why you said cosmic woo structure, either.

Chaz

Chaz
Joined  24-02-2018

10 March 2018 10:38

nonverbal - 09 March 2018 04:07 PM

I was drunk the first time and when I didn’t see the thread I assumed I was remembering a dream.

I don’t know what you mean by the style of the onion,  but I think I got the point about random paragraphs. I did try lengthening the over all descriptions, and imaginative language trying to make it understandable so, yeah could have random parts

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6333
Joined  22-02-2005

10 March 2018 21:06

Chaz - 10 March 2018 08:54 AM

How am I naive and how am I incorrect? And yeah, I like to use analogies, it’s a good way to paint a picture, so it can best be understood. I don’t know why you said cosmic woo structure, either.

Fair enough, Mr. Chaz.

Laser disc readers use a confined tangent of reflected light that is modulated (reflected or not) by the pits of the disc. Information is passed through a human invented code. Light reflected off the earth would be of no informational use unless there was a giant cosmic EYEBALL to take it in and a matching brain to ‘know’ what the info is. Light bouncing off the earth is not analogous to to a disc reader.

IMO, paranormal activity is miss-perceived normal activity or a failing of perception. Failings of human perception are more likely to occur in the dark of night. If paranormal activity does not have EYEBALLS, then how does it know if it is dark out? How does paranormal activity know it is being seen?

Crank flashlights convert your calories to an electrical charge. There is no cranking force in the solar system.

To imagine such workings is to create a cosmic woo machine. They are FUN to drive around for a bit but they break down quickly.

Chaz

Chaz
Joined  24-02-2018

11 March 2018 15:13

Nhoj Morley - 10 March 2018 09:06 PM

Fair enough, Mr. Chaz.

Laser disc readers use a confined tangent of reflected light that is modulated (reflected or not) by the pits of the disc. Information is passed through a human invented code. Light reflected off the earth would be of no informational use unless there was a giant cosmic EYEBALL to take it in and a matching brain to ‘know’ what the info is. Light bouncing off the earth is not analogous to to a disc reader.

IMO, paranormal activity is miss-perceived normal activity or a failing of perception. Failings of human perception are more likely to occur in the dark of night. If paranormal activity does not have EYEBALLS, then how does it know if it is dark out? How does paranormal activity know it is being seen?

Crank flashlights convert your calories to an electrical charge. There is no cranking force in the solar system.

To imagine such workings is to create a cosmic woo machine. They are FUN to drive around for a bit but they break down quickly.

Oh! I see the problem. You’re an idiot. I don’t know why you read it literally, as if it was about the electronics instead of the functions they perform, and using them as references to imagine an idea. I just said I like using analogies, the purpose for them is to form a relatively close image for the readers’ imagination. Further more, I started with saying I don’t believe in ghosts, or an afterlife, and I don’t believe in aliens. What part of this said nonfiction to you? What makes you think that you know anything about what you said? You honestly don’t think light has information? It’s the purest form of information in existence. You would be blind without the information light transmits.  How do you think you can tell the difference between colors? And why the hell would there have to be a cosmic eyeball to receive the data? You don’t know anything about smoke and mirrors? How can they tell it’s dark out and how can they tell they’re being seen are the stupidest questions possible for this hypothetical. What difference could it possibly make? If ghosts are real you actually think what they’re aware of would change something? I said the moon could be the cause, not that they wait for it to be pitch black out. You’ve never seen the moon up before the sun goes down? And holy shit that was a stupid comment about a cranking force, you should check out Einstein’s work. Turns out the earth isn’t pulling us to it, the universe is pushing us to it..

You’ve ruined it for me. I was hoping to have an entertaining discussion on something that nobody cares about, but your attitude, personality, or something, is stuck in high gear, and you don’t know how to relax for pleasant conversation. I would like to know what made you turn into a prick

Also, you are correct about paranormal just being normal. We have to wait for string theory to come around to know the truth, but it should be within our lifetime.

[ Edited: 11 March 2018 17:04 by Chaz]

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

12 March 2018 09:44

There’s a veritable goldmine of metaphors and analogies to be found.  You’ve got to keep yer EYELIDS peeled in order to notice.

LadyJane - 01 June 2016 04:41 PM

There’s more meaning to be found behind the eyeballs of non-human animals than in the shallow pools of the delusional minds of most humans.

Mr. Morley’s balloon animal idea got me to thinking.  Then, fortunately (or unfortunately), the thinking morphed into action and off I went to the party supply store.  There happens to be an ice cream parlour between it and the flower shop which I seemingly entered before realizing…I don’t even like ice cream all that much.  It was a roll-with-the-punches kind of a day so I was game.  I couldn’t decide on a flavour, however, so I opted for cotton candy instead before backtracking in the direction of those balloons.  I chose to deviate from the “air-dog” version of the experiment and purchased enough balloons to represent all the regular patrons of this forum.

You heard me.  Balloon-people.

The new plan involved drawing faces on the balloons, with a sharpie, and the names of posters on the back.  After a confusingly crowded drive home I fashioned each string with fishing weights encumbering each balloon-person with a weight corresponding to the length of their time as a member.  The longer the membership, the heavier the burden.  There were a few exceptions.  I figured long term woo-heads would have their noggins closer to the clouds, for instance, while critical thinking veteran members would be way more down-to-earth. 

Taking it a step further…I decided to take the experiment outside…and arm myself with a slingshot.  And my pockets filled with jagged stones.

The first thing that happened was one dominating balloon seemed to be butting heads with all the others.  It wasn’t wind related as all the others were hovering as you’d expect.  It was as though this particular balloon was filled with some other element absent in the rest.  It became increasingly disruptive, and as it began to distract the other balloons off course, it was clear this presented a risk of compromising the entire experiment.  So I shot it in the face.

Watching the other balloons was interesting.  Some swayed comfortably in the breeze.  Some flighty types lost track of their weights while looking at the birdies and cluelessly drifted away.  Others seemed to fight it without knowing why.  Every time they wrestled for position it failed to deliver the comfort they sought.  They’d travel around getting in the faces of others then bounce right back with zero ability to maintain focus.  The lightweight balloons were more concerned about reporting their observations at break neck speed as though they were the first balloons to ever see sky in the history of balloonkind.  They failed to notice they were too high to be heard.  As they migrated within range of the others they were given every opportunity by anyone willing to listen.  If they repeated the same bullshit story more than three times…thwap went the slingshot.  Those unable to take constructive criticism…thwap went the slingshot.  Those making disparaging remarks to fellow floating balloon-people…thwap went the slingshot.  A rocky lesson in “Pop” Culture.

The balloons hovering closer to the ground developed an extremely talented way of communicating.  They somehow figured out if they arranged themselves in such a way, by stacking themselves like a tower, the top balloon could see farther than the rest.  From that vantage point the top balloon was able to describe the view to the other balloon-people where they patiently waited for that information to come down the line.  After a significant passage of time the top balloon descended to the lowest rung, allowing the next balloon to rise up, appreciate the view and confirm what they’d learned.  One by one they took turns occupying that space and sharing their perspectives until, eventually, they developed a consensus.  A platform from which to build.  Sure there were arguments.  Minor things really.  Quibbling over the difference between hawks and vultures.  Mathematical equations related to wing spans.  Hunting habits.  Balloon-to-bird ratios.  That kind of thing.  Anyone found to be commandeering the top position for too long or refusing to yield to the next balloon…thwap

The clouds up there don’t possess the answers like Google.  Leaving more room for thoughtful balloon-people to sort things out for themselves.  Once they tired of that they fell back into their previously determined individual states of suspension.  The looks on their faces lead me to believe they know their time is fleeting.  That any fun to be found exists within our various levels of awareness where we feel free to make choices and engage in friendly discussions before ultimately ending up in the ground.  In the meanwhile…it’s pretty evident one balloon alone can’t see and know everything.  You need other balloons for that.

What a beautiful day it was.  It was nice to hear the regulars make some of the most clever and insightful comments they’ve never made.

Maybe it’s just me.

Chaz

Chaz
Joined  24-02-2018

14 March 2018 16:01

LadyJane - 12 March 2018 09:44 AM

There’s a veritable goldmine of metaphors and analogies to be found.  You’ve got to keep yer EYELIDS peeled in order to notice.

I like the story, mainly because it can be changed and used to help kids understand, but I don’t think it’s a good one to use with adults, because it’s not a proper analogy, or metaphor. There’s obvious meaning behind it, but most adults would probably reject the lessons from it, as it’s a work of fiction to be used however the speaker wants, rather than something concrete that they are sure to recognize.

There’s a ton of better examples that could be more beneficial to the idea I posted, but I wanted to keep it as close to home as possible, and I did my best not to lose anyone reading it.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

14 March 2018 19:13

Chaz - 14 March 2018 04:01 PM
LadyJane - 12 March 2018 09:44 AM

I like the story, mainly because it can be changed and used to help kids understand, but I don’t think it’s a good one to use with adults, because it’s not a proper analogy, or metaphor. There’s obvious meaning behind it, but most adults would probably reject the lessons from it, as it’s a work of fiction to be used however the speaker wants, rather than something concrete that they are sure to recognize.

There’s a ton of better examples that could be more beneficial to the idea I posted, but I wanted to keep it as close to home as possible, and I did my best not to lose anyone reading it.

That was a view of the place you didn’t care to learn about before regaling us with several of your thoughts.  Thoughts many patrons took the time to consider and respond to and that were rudely dismissed when they dared to disagree.  Time you never took.  Time to investigate your audience to get a sense of how those thoughts might land.  So your concern about losing the reader rings hollow.  If it wasn’t your grand entrance announcing your new found faith it was your disbelief in The Big Bang Theory.  And if it wasn’t your disbelief in The Big Bang Theory it was your take on morality.  And if it wasn’t your take on morality it was your odd views on socialism.  And maybe it wasn’t.  Maybe it wasn’t the vague interpretations of these ideas.  Maybe it wasn’t the lack of follow through in sifting through specifics.  Maybe it wasn’t the defensiveness when questioned, or the overreaction to this woo headed thread that showed up on four separate occasions, or even the deceitful claim you were drunk when you wrote it.  And even if we were willing to set all those things aside, as asinine and ridiculous as most of it seems to be, there would still be the wee matter of the way you treated our kindly moderator.  The administrator of a forum you so recently joined.  I don’t know quite what to say about that.  That, sir, is a dealbreaker.

1 2 >