1 2 3 >  Last ›

The Trouble With Trioonity

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3292
Joined  26-03-2013

25 March 2018 10:29

An obscure reference often clouded in misperception.  Which is odd considering it sets out to do the very opposite.  A clarification of the human perceptual system and how it allows us to relate to everything that surrounds us–including each other.  The catch is–you have to actually read it in order to understand. 

I read a version of it over the course of several hours one afternoon when I was profoundly ill and teetering on the brink of existence.  Although the subject matter was familiar, this take seemed to have something else.  It offered something different than the dusty classical textbook descriptions to which I’d become accustom.  The clinical interpretation of sensation and perception.  This definitely wasn’t that.  It strayed from the standard and ventured into a creative showcase of facts about ourselves.  A history of who we are and how we got here.  What it means to be human.  And how humans perceive.

As a new member of this forum, at the time, I looked forward to the discussions this must’ve spawned thinking that the metaphorical language could only help the communication process by establishing the fact that we share the same machinery–it just manifests differently.  Nope.  I thought it would spring everyone forward, leaping over the basics with the shorthand provided, into discussions nowhere to be found.  Nope.  I waited.  And I waited.  I watched thread after thread suffer slow painful deaths.  And it’s not what you think–if I know what you’re thinking.  Was it the fault of the author?  Nope.

When questions arose they were answered.  The same way you see happening here every day.  And the same problems that stood in the way then–still stand in the way now.  Patrons fail to listen.  They don’t want to take the time to read, absorb, interpret, consider, relate, compare, contrast, imagine, respond.  They want to arrive at the end with all the answers and take credit for knowing everything.  Taking the narrow view and controlling the light leaves you stranded with a limited number of rays.  It’s not very bright.  You can’t expect to spoon feed a generation and cultivate experts in anything.

These attempts to create common threads are frequently thwarted and commandeered instead.  As casualties of reason.  People want to own the floor.  People want to win the cockfight.  People need to be entertained in short manageable intervals where they can like what they like and hate what they hate and never–ever–need to know why.  They want a place to direct all the anger they keep inside, contained like a caged animal, scratching and clawing from the inside out as they wander around the party pretending to care what others think.

We’ve all read posts walking away with a certain feeling.  And, I’ve come to learn, that feeling has a lot more to do with factors unrelated to the content in the boxes.  Jumping the gun after reading the title.  Judging the poster instead of the post.  Assuming some sort of authority on a subject and condescending those who may know more than they’re given credit.  Patrons often select the point that strikes their fancy and take the tangent where they want it to go.  This lackadaisical approach often finds patrons responding to things that have nothing to do with the topic.  The tangent continues and the conversation gets lost in the shuffle. 

After suffering a number of permutations, since that first reading, the Trioon Scheme seems to have lost some of its charm through the editing process.  Very unfortunate.  And I’m still waiting.  A decent little conversation about the principles stated within.  A mere illustration of something each of us possess.  When we re-write what we read, while we are reading, we are no longer discussing the same thing.  Take the time or get out of the way.  There are people waiting.

There are times things don’t gain traction and there are times things get thrown off course intentionally.  And it compels people to pander when commissioned.  I figure, when you know you can’t please everyone, it’s best to honour the endeavour itself.  Artists don’t always know when to walk away from their work.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

25 March 2018 10:35

LadyJane - 25 March 2018 10:29 AM

An obscure reference often clouded in misperception.  Which is odd considering it sets out to do the very opposite.  A clarification of the human perceptual system and how it allows us to relate to everything that surrounds us–including each other.  The catch is–you have to actually read it in order to understand. 

I read a version of it over the course of several hours one afternoon when I was profoundly ill and teetering on the brink of existence.  Although the subject matter was familiar, this take seemed to have something else.  It offered something different than the dusty classical textbook descriptions to which I’d become accustom.  The clinical interpretation of sensation and perception.  This definitely wasn’t that.  It strayed from the standard and ventured into a creative showcase of facts about ourselves.  A history of who we are and how we got here.  What it means to be human.  And how humans perceive.

As a new member of this forum, at the time, I looked forward to the discussions this must’ve spawned thinking that the metaphorical language could only help the communication process by establishing the fact that we share the same machinery–it just manifests differently.  Nope.  I thought it would spring everyone forward, leaping over the basics with the shorthand provided, into discussions nowhere to be found.  Nope.  I waited.  And I waited.  I watched thread after thread suffer slow painful deaths.  And it’s not what you think–if I know what you’re thinking.  Was it the fault of the author?  Nope.

When questions arose they were answered.  The same way you see happening here every day.  And the same problems that stood in the way then–still stand in the way now.  Patrons fail to listen.  They don’t want to take the time to read, absorb, interpret, consider, relate, compare, contrast, imagine, respond.  They want to arrive at the end with all the answers and take credit for knowing everything.  Taking the narrow view and controlling the light leaves you stranded with a limited number of rays.  It’s not very bright.  You can’t expect to spoon feed a generation and cultivate experts in anything.

These attempts to create common threads are frequently thwarted and commandeered instead.  As casualties of reason.  People want to own the floor.  People want to win the cockfight.  People need to be entertained in short manageable intervals where they can like what they like and hate what they hate and never–ever–need to know why.  They want a place to direct all the anger they keep inside, contained like a caged animal, scratching and clawing from the inside out as they wander around the party pretending to care what others think.

We’ve all read posts walking away with a certain feeling.  And, I’ve come to learn, that feeling has a lot more to do with factors unrelated to the content in the boxes.  Jumping the gun after reading the title.  Judging the poster instead of the post.  Assuming some sort of authority on a subject and condescending those who may know more than they’re given credit.  Patrons often select the point that strikes their fancy and take the tangent where they want it to go.  This lackadaisical approach often finds patrons responding to things that have nothing to do with the topic.  The tangent continues and the conversation gets lost in the shuffle. 

After suffering a number of permutations, since that first reading, the Trioon Scheme seems to have lost some of its charm through the editing process.  Very unfortunate.  And I’m still waiting.  A decent little conversation about the principles stated within.  A mere illustration of something each of us possess.  When we re-write what we read, while we are reading, we are no longer discussing the same thing.  Take the time or get out of the way.  There are people waiting.

There are times things don’t gain traction and there are times things get thrown off course intentionally.  And it compels people to pander when commissioned.  I figure, when you know you can’t please everyone, it’s best to honour the endeavour itself.  Artists don’t always know when to walk away from their work.

By saying this, I am at risk for being excommunicated.  but it is

it is

it is

oh never mind,

I have bigger fish to fry

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21484
Joined  11-03-2007

25 March 2018 10:57

As a fan of Trioonity who received an A- from the professor (I think LJ was number 1 in our class), I can say that Trioonity generally makes sense to me.  It seems to give me a framework for understanding my perceptions and thoughts. I could be wrong - I’ve been deceived many times.  To relate back to the title of this thread, the “trouble with Trioonity” is not the system itself, but Nhoj’s unorthodox way of communicating. That’s OK, because only an unorthodox mind could have come up with the scheme to begin with.  Nhoj needs an interpreter, like Aaron was to Moses.  Maybe it’s LJ, I dunno.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

25 March 2018 11:03

EN - 25 March 2018 10:57 AM

I can say that Trioonity generally makes sense to me.  It seems to give me a framework for understanding my perceptions and thoughts.

Really

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17531
Joined  15-02-2008

25 March 2018 12:00

I’ll call bullshit.

I genuinely don’t get Trioonity and Nhoj’s weird broken poetic style of writing doesn’t help make things any clearer.

Where you say the below, that is the same argument apologists use, if you knew what I know, if you read what I read, if you studied for years like have etc etc. A 1000 posters have come through here trying to sell their shit with this same argument and all of them were pommeled fiercely. If you like Trioonity and it makes sense to you, great, but don’t blame us for not getting it, we tried, we didn’t get it.     

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

25 March 2018 12:13

GAD - 25 March 2018 12:00 PM

I’ll call bullshit.

I genuinely don’t get Trioonity and Nhoj’s weird broken poetic style of writing doesn’t help make things any clearer.

Where you say the below, that is the same argument apologists use, if you knew what I know, if you read what I read, if you studied for years like have etc etc. A 1000 posters have come through here trying to sell their shit with this same argument and all of them were pommeled fiercely. If you like Trioonity and it makes sense to you, great, but don’t blame us for not getting it, we tried, we didn’t get it.     

okay okay its
aromatic hyperdigested bovine food

but I bet its initial intent was similar to what a cow would consider gourmet Poa Prentesis (Kentucky Bluegrass)

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6719
Joined  08-12-2006

25 March 2018 12:41

The trouble with Trioonity, for me, is the “tri.” If it was Bioonity I’d be on board.

“Tri not. Aware, or aware not. There is no tri.”

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6336
Joined  22-02-2005

25 March 2018 13:31

I’m wondering which would be the most dignified moment to post.

Not to disagree with LJ but it is a matter of perspective. I think I have done really well here and I am grateful that it has played out with a discernable continuity for me at least. I hold no ill will over anyone’s reaction to trioon over the years. I will make use of it all including calls from Mr. GAD. When some resonance is achieved, I do my best to harvest it.

This forum is and has been my mental police force. I feel much less likely to go off the rails after absorbing years of cautions from a broad range of minds. And Jeff. It adds up to a vast expanse of things to be considered that might otherwise be missed. Not just book and articles that patrons reference but their POV’s as well. Understanding objections is empowering. Trioon sharpens as it scrapes against you.

Where some casual observers see a confusing mess, I see growth. I know it is more growth than would have if I wasn’t a part of this community. I came here convinced of all the same things as the average Harris fan. Now they are gone and I lost them here. Blame yourselves for leading me astray.

I am very aware of the Internet Nut phenomena and part of the FUN is navigating those waters. For there is only them waters to navigate. Good forum-keeping is the only priority that tops trioon.  If things get too polarizing, I’ll have to withdraw but it is at least something to do on a slow day. 

Jeff is a nice guy and FUN to talk to. Any apparent feud between us is a fine format for a presentation, too. My intent is run a tidy forum. It includes a long and intact trail of his ‘objections’. He deserves a chance to slay either me or trioon.

Mr. ASD often lurks close. “Tis but another step to turn that bi-view into two ongoing interactions of three sets of gears. 

And now, I shall resume preperations for the New Forum Guidelines. (insert sinister laugh and doom-like sound fx)

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1781
Joined  31-10-2015

25 March 2018 14:14

LadyJane - 25 March 2018 10:29 AM

. . .

One problem with Nhoj’s Trioon is that—it seems to me, at least—you can never fluently understand it unless you actually adopt it for yourself (a drastic endeavor) and allow it to migrate into your everyday thought processing. Or is it only me? LJ, did you need to apply Nhoj’s words to your own mental realm in order for you to understand them in a practical sense? Bruce, have you needed to reconstruct any of your mental functioning in order to understand Trioon?

As I’ve said before, some sort of exposure to a system such as Trioon would have spared me a hell of a lot of difficulty back when I was a teenager. From my point of view, Trioon has a ton of potential for atheistically inclined teenagers who’ve been taught by pre-Vatican II nuns . . . and it might help others, as well.

How can I be confident about this if I’ve yet to adopt and thereby understand Trioon? I’m confident because I don’t see anything of significance within it that’s in verbal conflict. As a system, it makes sense. It could be an entirely different system, and I’d say the same thing as long as it was internally consistent and understandable to an insanely educated teenager, and I suspect that plenty of insanely educated teenagers continue to walk the streets!

I recommend to Jeff, if he’s actually interested, to sort through Nhoj’s work and make note of inconsistencies and specific apparent problems whether in wording or in the shape of an idea, and perhaps point them out for discussion with Nhoj.

At any rate, it does seem to me that Nhoj’s system will some day have a limited but highly appreciative audience. I’m confident that it, or something akin to it, will eventually be widely used by all who have a need for such a thing. Freud, though discredited in many fundamental ways, had yet to be surpassed as far as mind nomenclature, till Trioon.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

25 March 2018 15:23

There’s no belief system nor faith required with respect to human perception.  There’s nothing to be convinced of and nothing to defend.  As a whole.  The intricacies we endure individually must be figured out on our own.  Through our perspective.  There’s no product to sell.  What would be the sales pitch?  Are you buying what you’re seeing?  Did someone teach you how?  They can tell you what to look at but are you seeing what they see?  Are you aware of your own deception?  Can you tell when you’re being lied to?  Can you tell when liars are deceiving themselves?  Does that sound about right?  A thousand voices spoken in a foreign tongue don’t mean a thing if you can’t understand what they say.  Are we deaf or just not listening?  It isn’t so much what we’re communicating–it’s how.

I was never involved much in the conversations surrounding Trioon.  They went awry and turned me off.  I never adopted anything other than a few fun word replacements which can be said for pretty near any given day.  This was merely another way of looking at something I already knew.  Like Bioonity.  It’s already on board.  We just have an additional enhancement that rounds up to three.

There’s a strange element to this scheme that makes people recoil.  Ask yourselves why.  Jeff took six whole minutes to log in, pretend to read the original post, quote it and find the spot to begin typing.  What must be going through the noodle of a person unable to control themselves to this extent?  When you consider the option of taking the time, through the tickety ticks, to talk yourself out of it and avoid looking like a goof.  A lot of stupid threads materialize in this joint.  What doesn’t pique your interest now may soon be followed by one that does.  There are plenty of tables to be found.  Please keep this in mind and show a little respect.  I guess some folks can’t stop sabotaging other people’s shit.  Anything to avoid that mirror, eh?

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

25 March 2018 15:34

LOL! IOW only post to threads that you agree with, if you don’t agree it’s because you didn’t spend enough hours, days, years teaching yourself to understand it.  Yeah, like anyone is going to buy that.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21484
Joined  11-03-2007

25 March 2018 15:35

jdrnd - 25 March 2018 11:03 AM
EN - 25 March 2018 10:57 AM

I can say that Trioonity generally makes sense to me.  It seems to give me a framework for understanding my perceptions and thoughts.

Really

Yes.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

25 March 2018 15:40

GAD - 25 March 2018 03:34 PM

LOL! IOW only post to threads that you agree with, if you don’t agree it’s because you didn’t spend enough hours, days, years teaching yourself to understand it.  Yeah, like anyone is going to buy that.

You can respectfully disagree.  Well, some of us can.

brazen4

brazen4
Total Posts:  184
Joined  09-08-2017

25 March 2018 15:46

Principia Trioonica: an excellent read of which I figure I grasped about 20-30 % and will re-read more slowly and patiently which is the way I do things. At 1st blush it looks very common sensical and a well thought out way of approaching consciousness/ awareness. I have been lead in many good directions from this forum.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

25 March 2018 15:47

LadyJane - 25 March 2018 03:40 PM

I think we did. This is dynamic and informal arena for thought, debate and socializing, that’s what makes it interesting.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

25 March 2018 18:49

LadyJane - 25 March 2018 03:40 PM

I’m with Gad

signed
David Dennison

1 2 3 >  Last ›