jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

01 April 2018 12:00

LadyJane - 01 April 2018 11:20 AM
jdrnd - 01 April 2018 10:55 AM
LadyJane - 01 April 2018 10:25 AM

You’d have to be crazy not to be inspired by a guy willing to assist Americans wanting to kill themselves.

If only he had stuck with truly terminal patients.

“On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.”  Tyler Durden

Yes I often have to remind a few of my patients that a well know but little discussed fact is that everybody dies.
However, Kevorkian interceded on at least one person who was not terminally ill in the short run

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3905
Joined  20-11-2013

01 April 2018 12:34

jdrnd - 01 April 2018 10:57 AM
bbearren - 01 April 2018 10:14 AM
jdrnd - 01 April 2018 06:27 AM

Note: I’m in private practice, I only have partners.

My condolences for your partners…

Its even worse than that,
I’m the managing partner.

That was my assumption; you present as a “Managing” partner.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21959
Joined  11-03-2007

01 April 2018 16:22

jdrnd - 31 March 2018 08:28 PM

You’re crazy.

Ouch.  Is that an official diagnosis sanctioned under the DSM?  If so, can I have a prescription?

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

01 April 2018 16:59

EN - 01 April 2018 04:22 PM

You’re crazy.

Ouch.  Is that an official diagnosis sanctioned under the DSM?  If so, can I have a prescription?

Name your drug.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3520
Joined  26-03-2013

01 April 2018 17:34

This was a last ditch effort to spark a conversation about the roadblocks we encounter when communicating.  It feels too much like a wrestling match at a stalemate.  Quel dommage.

I’ve been watching closely over the years and there has never been a consistent explanation in content and tone.  Intelligent people asked fair and poignant questions and were often snubbed for not getting it perfect yet never steered in any logical direction.  Total fuckoffs were given gold stars for showing up and talking shit and this time wastage put a dent in its credibility, from my perspective, while creating confusion about the desire for honest feedback.  And there must be something to that as those aren’t the threads highlighted to showcase the scheme.  These conversations do more harm than good and if the author could explain it, to any satisfactory degree, he’d probably have done it by now.  That window of opportunity is slowly disappearing and things are very different now.  Reading it to yourself is still an option, I guess, although we are no longer reading the same thing.

There are a million ways to talk about this using whatever terminology we like.  I do it all the time.  Just not here.  Where there’s a chance of landing on the same page.  And it’s fun.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

01 April 2018 17:39

jdrnd - 01 April 2018 04:59 PM

You’re crazy.

Name your drug.

I need a three month supply of Hippodone, Nowcane, and Flashocil.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

01 April 2018 18:13

EN - 01 April 2018 05:39 PM

You’re crazy.

Name your drug.

Hmmmm.

Well Hippodone is on back order.  Apparently the last batch caused intracoital flatulence and had to be reconfigured.  It will be back on the shelves in about 3 months. 
Can I interest you Rhinodid, it will increase your curb appeal without increasing unanticipated eructions.

Nowcane is available.  Do you want the 25 microgram/tabs or 569.01 kilogram/tabs.  The lower dose tabs are easier to digest.
Let me know

Now you do know that Flashocill is a controlled substance.  That will cost you.
I will need a notarized document claiming you don’t have Unverricht-Lundborg disease, 3 drops of your blood preserved in a titanium cylinder, six 2-inch lengths of hair undyed, from your head, preserved in Pusser’s British navy rum, a signed affidavit that you don’t own any pandas,
and a bankers check for a lot of money, the amount to be determined once I have the other documents.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

01 April 2018 18:45

jdrnd - 01 April 2018 06:13 PM

You’re crazy.

Name your drug.

Hmmmm.

Well Hippodone is on back order.  Apparently the last batch caused intracoital flatulence and had to be reconfigured.  It will be back on the shelves in about 3 months. 
Can I interest you Rhinodid, it will increase your curb appeal without increasing unanticipated eructions.

Nowcane is available.  Do you want the 25 microgram/tabs or 569.01 kilogram/tabs.  The lower dose tabs are easier to digest.
Let me know

I will need a notarized document claiming you don’t have Unverricht-Lundborg disease, 3 drops of your blood preserved in a titanium cylinder, six 2-inch lengths of hair undyed, from your head, preserved in Pusser’s British navy rum, a signed affidavit that you don’t own any pandas,
and a bankers check for a lot of money, the amount to be determined once I have the other documents.

Crap. I DO have U-L Disease.  And pandas.  I’ve decided to go with Chinese Medicine.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

01 April 2018 18:53

EN - 01 April 2018 06:45 PM

You’re crazy.

Name your drug.

Hmmmm.

Let me know

Crap. I DO have U-L Disease.  And pandas.  I’ve decided to go with Chinese Medicine.

You have Unverricht-Lundborg disease?

There are only 12 known cases in the world.
I can’t believe you are one of them.
oh and when you use the chinese medicine
get the Pork and crab eggroll with it.
Its excellent.
You own a Panda? I knew you were weird.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6546
Joined  22-02-2005

01 April 2018 22:36

Oh, you hoped for exposition. We provided an historical reenactment as an affirmation.

Quayle-Palin

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

02 April 2018 04:16

Getting back to the theme of this thread.
I think that a philosophic world view using cinematic terminology is silly.

Cinema as we know it has only been around for a hundred years.

It would have been better for nhoj, to have used food based terminology for his Trioonity.
After all, Food has been around since the dawn of civilization.

Instead of pre-cinema and post cinema, (and what ever is in between),

we would have:

Precooked, cooking, and Postcooked, each with a different way of looking at how we think.

The term “chunk limit” would have a whole new meaning.
The 7 chunk limit would no longer apply.

We could rename this quasi-philosophy Trifoodity

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

02 April 2018 05:28

EN - 01 April 2018 06:45 PM

You’re crazy.

Name your drug.

Hmmmm.

Let me know

It’s llamas, not pandas.

Comeon!

Oh, never mind.

This ... ‘tis a silly place.

[ Edited: 02 April 2018 05:30 by SkepticX]

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

02 April 2018 07:19

You lads realize I’m working on the new forum guidelines, eh?

I must not shape rules to solve problems that I create. Nevertheless, some improvements in method and structure must be found to ease constructive conversations, accommodate the fluffy stuff and establish a floor for downward spirals.

This week, we are taking suggestions from patrons for the new forum guidelines. We will welcome input on wording and content or just express a concern to us. Send a PM to me or Mart.

I would like to see more folks involved in forum management. we could create a role that is less than the fearsome admin or mod status but carrying a clear authority to be harshly helpful if necessary. Perhaps temps on a rotation.

The Guidelines Advisory Panel will have final approval. Applications for the now three member panel will be taken this week.

As for inconsistentcies, at least since the principia started, I would be very interested to have any brought to my attention.

[ Edited: 02 April 2018 07:34 by Nhoj Morley]

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6956
Joined  08-12-2006

02 April 2018 17:04

Nhoj Morley - 31 March 2018 09:33 AM

Mr. ASD:
The self is the illusion created when Mr. Flashlight explains Mr. Flashlight. Free will is the illusion created when Mr. Flashlight selfishly takes credit away from Mr. Hippo. Isn’t it possible that Mr. Now is the illusion created when an “enlightened” Mr. Flashlight magnanimously tries to make sense of Mr. Hippo?

Nope. Mr. Now is a cartoony characterization of our cinematic or ‘following’ perception in action. Following is not an illusion. It is a percetual ability. Mr. Hippo is a cartoony characterization of our sub-cinematic or primary perception and is blind to explanations of anything. Our ability to internally shepherd our perceptions after we have perceived them is the function of the third eye or post-cinematic perception and our only means of hosting explanations or knowing that we know them. Mr. Flashlight is a cartoony characterization of over-trained and excessive self-shepherding. Excessive auto-narration (from poor training) leads to short-sightedness, emotionally driven thinking and religious experiences.

Forgive the tardy reply. I am having a spell of trouble with typing. I may have to try one of those damn voice thingies again.

If it’s not too personal a question, what kind of trouble are you having with typing? Do you touch type? (Touch typing being a function of Mr. Hippo, IMO.) My theory is that maybe you have something going on that leads you to perceive Mr. Now, a third state of . . . what do you call Mr. Hippo, Mr. Now and Mr. Flashlight?

On the other hand, maybe I have something going on that prevents me from recognizing Mr. Now. Or maybe Mr. Now is superfluous for the purposes of sports psychology, which is where my interest in consciousness comes from. Because it seems like I can explain all my perception and behavior and awareness/non-awareness without him.

Mr. Hippo is the good driver and the touch typist. Mr. Flashlight (that’s “me”) is Mr. Hippo’s micromanaging boss who can’t keep from doing Mr. Hippo’s job for him, poorly, whenever the stakes are high. Mr. Hippo perceives everything directly; Mr. Flashlight perceives everything indirectly, second-hand. The best he can do is construct a model of reality that includes not only sensory inputs, but expectations, biases and beliefs.

The difference between recalling something and looking at it isn’t the difference between Mr. Flashlight and the illusory Mr. Now, it’s merely a matter of how detailed Mr. Flashlight’s model is. Looking at something and “seeing” it down to the last detail makes the model more “realistic” than recalling it, but doesn’t bypass the model. You can prove this to yourself by covering one eye and looking for the optic nerve blind spot that we know exists. Why can’t we “see” it? Because Mr. Flashlight isn’t expecting to see it, so fills it in for the model.

You can also prove it to yourself with timing: Mr. Flashlight takes longer than Mr. Hippo to respond to stimuli because the process of incorporating stimuli into the model takes time. That’s why Mr. Flashlight is a slow typist and a poor driver. And why he only realizes, after the fact, that his finger got burned on a hot stove and that Mr. Hippo pulled it away.

But wait! you say. If Mr. Flashlight knows the optic nerve blind spot is there, why doesn’t he incorporate it into the model when I cover one eye and look around the room? (I can “see” it when I do the finger test; that is, my finger disappears when it moves into the blind spot.) If I know placebos are efficacious, why don’t sugar pills make my sore back feel better even when I know they’re sugar pills? I don’t know. Maybe that’s where Mr. Now comes in. He prefers vodka.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

02 April 2018 20:00

Antisocialdarwinist - 02 April 2018 05:04 PM

If it’s not too personal a question, what kind of trouble are you having with typing? Do you touch type? (Touch typing being a function of Mr. Hippo, IMO.) My theory is that maybe you have something going on that leads you to perceive Mr. Now, a third state of . . . what do you call Mr. Hippo, Mr. Now and Mr. Flashlight?

Sure. The short answer is that I hit the wrong key and pile up errors. Ten minutes of correcting for every minute of typing. The long answer is trickier.

I am a two fingered typist who looks at the keyboard and not the screen. I can see the next key. I can see my finger. There is a subtle and very quick sensation of confirmation that my finger will soon connect with the recognized correct key. It is a subliminal confidence that is unseen while thinking about what to type. I call it EYEBALL JUICE as in fuel or stamina. The day starts on a full tank. Then the sensation become intermittent or incorrect and I hit the neighboring key instead which somehow earned a ‘correct’ signal. When the juice runs out, I can look right at the key and have no idea where it is. The info is not part of the picture. However, my picture contains the elements from which the info can be derived. I know what an F looks like but why do I need to bother recalling and recognizing conspicuously?

It goes from seeing myself type to typing by seeing. Or driving. Or drumming. Or navigating around the house.

A few years ago I t-boned the edge of an open door and did harm to the right side of my face. I read and write one-eyed now (it is still there but all blurry) and that has actually improved the situation all around.

Since then, I am much more careful and more aggressive about telling my werkmates when I need to quit. If I push it, I’m walking into doors or falling down the stairs chasing the efing werk phone. I’m sure werking with light fixtures is catching up with me, too (I get to test LED display case and cooler fixtures and damn highbays right here in my black-felt lined home theater).

I’m sure this contributed to the concept of a mid-perception.

Your worthy comments will be addressed next round.

‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 8 >