1 2 > 

Any secular ideas for celebrating Easter?

john76

john76
Total Posts:  701
Joined  15-12-2008

26 March 2018 10:08

Happy upcoming Easter!

I am wondering if anyone has any secular suggestions to celebrate Easter with their kids?  I’m definitely doing the Easter Egg hunt!

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2424
Joined  19-01-2015

26 March 2018 10:53

There is literally nothing Christian about the Easter Bunny.
Have a great time!

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6011
Joined  31-01-2012

26 March 2018 11:51

Zombies

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6416
Joined  15-02-2007

26 March 2018 12:01

Big family dinner where we all gather and celebrate how close we all remain, celebrate our triumphs, commiserate over our failures and challenges and enjoy each other’s company.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  2903
Joined  26-03-2013

26 March 2018 12:36

Easter Sunday falls on All Fools’ Day.  I suggest getting a head start on planning those pranks.  Like the one with the Zombie Messiah. 

That’s the one to beat!

john76

john76
Total Posts:  701
Joined  15-12-2008

26 March 2018 19:12

Jb8989 - 26 March 2018 11:51 AM

Zombies

Your point brings up another issue.  I would be interested as to what you think a secular person is to make of the Easter resurrection claims in the New Testament.  I have shared some of my ideas on the topic in a blog post here: http://palpatinesway.blogspot.com/2018/03/examining-easter-peering-behind-veil-of.html

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9070
Joined  20-10-2006

26 March 2018 20:40

You make it sound like celebrating Easter in the Christian way is the only option.  It’s just another Sunday for everyone but Christians, and I would like to spend the day sailing.

Ola

Ola
Total Posts:  1107
Joined  12-07-2016

27 March 2018 01:33

Ireland has changed its law about Good Friday this year. For the first time in most people’s memories the pubs and off licences will be open on Good Friday. Normally, the sale of alcohol is strictly forbidden from midnight to midnight. It has previously resulted in quality time spent drinking with friends, family, neighbours, random strangers, in people’s homes. Now we no longer need to visit each other on Good Friday. Hurrah!

Ola

Ola
Total Posts:  1107
Joined  12-07-2016

27 March 2018 01:37

LadyJane - 26 March 2018 12:36 PM

Easter Sunday falls on All Fools’ Day.  I suggest getting a head start on planning those pranks.  Like the one with the Zombie Messiah. 

That’s the one to beat!

:D

Thanks for reminding me! We always do an Easter Egg hunt for the kids, but this year’s one definitely needs some pranks. Thinking cap on….

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16436
Joined  15-02-2008

27 March 2018 07:59

I always did the egg hunt and candy with the kids, but they are big now and phones and video games are more fun for them.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

27 March 2018 08:03

Skipshot - 26 March 2018 08:40 PM

You make it sound like celebrating Easter in the Christian way is the only option.  It’s just another Sunday for everyone but Christians, and I would like to spend the day sailing.

I want to learn how to sail!

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2310
Joined  21-10-2016

27 March 2018 09:09

Jefe - 27 March 2018 08:03 AM

As there aren’t currently small children in our family, Easter is a time for a family dinner.  As with Christmas (the whole Santa thing), there are ‘secular’ activities (Easter egg hunts) for small children.

Sailing is fun!  Several years ago, I got it in my head that I wanted to learn how to sail.  My husband and I took adult beginner lessons, over several weeks, on a 26’ keel sailboat.  As with many things, I think it’s easier to learn when young, but we had great fun.  I ‘flunked’ the ‘man overboard’ lesson though; it’s really tricky to turn a sailboat in a circle, steering with the tiller arm between your knees while managing the sails.  If I’m on the helm, you better be able to swim to shore (we always wear lifejackets), haha.  We later bought a small centreboard sailboat (an Albacore) and kept it for a few years at a family cottage on a back lake (maintenance and mooring fees for a larger boat are expensive).  This smaller sailboat was a lot of fun, but a little scarier as it is easily capsized.

Note:  There are a lot of sailing terms to learn.  For example, the term ‘sheet’ refers to the ropes controlling the sails, not the sails themselves.

[ Edited: 27 March 2018 11:26 by Jan_CAN]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

27 March 2018 12:04

Jan_CAN - 27 March 2018 09:09 AM

As there aren’t currently small children in our family, Easter is a time for a family dinner.  As with Christmas (the whole Santa thing), there are ‘secular’ activities (Easter egg hunts) for small children.

Sailing is fun!  Several years ago, I got it in my head that I wanted to learn how to sail.  My husband and I took adult beginner lessons, over several weeks, on a 26’ keel sailboat.  As with many things, I think it’s easier to learn when young, but we had great fun.  I ‘flunked’ the ‘man overboard’ lesson though; it’s really tricky to turn a sailboat in a circle, steering with the tiller arm between your knees while managing the sails.  If I’m on the helm, you better be able to swim to shore (we always wear lifejackets), haha.  We later bought a small centreboard sailboat (an Albacore) and kept it for a few years at a family cottage on a back lake (maintenance and mooring fees for a larger boat are expensive).  This smaller sailboat was a lot of fun, but a little scarier as it is easily capsized.

Note:  There are a lot of sailing terms to learn.  For example, the term ‘sheet’ refers to the ropes controlling the sails, not the sails themselves.

Don’t scare him!  Sailing is like chess.  It’s easy to learn the basics but difficult to master.  I learn something new every time I go out, even on the days I wish I didn’t go.

Jefe, if you have a lake nearby see if they offer lessons.  I learned the basics in one day and have been fine tuning ever since.  Also, I really like catamarans because they are fast and a real challenge to keep upright.  But if the boat capsizes you just get wet, then right it and carry on.  I sail a Hobie 18, and am bored on monohulls.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

27 March 2018 13:12

Skipshot - 27 March 2018 12:04 PM

Don’t scare him!  Sailing is like chess.  It’s easy to learn the basics but difficult to master.  I learn something new every time I go out, even on the days I wish I didn’t go.

Jefe, if you have a lake nearby see if they offer lessons.  I learned the basics in one day and have been fine tuning ever since.  Also, I really like catamarans because they are fast and a real challenge to keep upright.  But if the boat capsizes you just get wet, then right it and carry on.  I sail a Hobie 18, and am bored on monohulls.

I want a 45’ Cat for a retirement toy!  A fancy french one.
Or to charter one.  Or to buy a 65 footer, get my sea-captain’s license and run charters out of the Caribbean for a few years.

(Note that the practical side of me recognizes that purchase of a large asset like this - a depreciating asset at that - is not the wisest choice.)

Edit: I also want to teach myself how to weld….but I’m tossed between arc welding and mig/gas welding.  (And probably should learn both…)

[ Edited: 27 March 2018 13:19 by Jefe]
Image Attachments

lipari.jpg

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

27 March 2018 15:44

Jefe - 27 March 2018 01:12 PM
Skipshot - 27 March 2018 12:04 PM

I want a 45’ Cat for a retirement toy!  A fancy french one.

PM me when you need crew!

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

27 March 2018 18:43

We actually do what Jesus did,
and we do it in a non-christian way.
we eat matzoh, drink sweet grape wine, and tell stories.

....oh and we eat the Rabbit     tastes like chocolate

1 2 >