EN

EN
Total Posts:  20699
Joined  11-03-2007

27 March 2018 08:35

Eleven years is a long time.  I have been on this forum for 1/6 of my life.  After 20,000 posts, I felt like I owed it everyone to say something at least partially significant, although “profound” is probably out of my reach.  I came here after reading “The End of Faith”, as it challenged a lot of concepts that I had taken for granted.  I wanted to know more about people with Sam’s mindset and how they viewed the world.  During the process, I’ve made some friends and even an enemy or two, but it’s been a wonderful experience.  My faith has been challenged mightily and has changed dramatically, but now I understand it better.  So I guess the first thing I would say is “thanks”.  Thanks to everyone for letting me hand out here and for putting me through the ringer.  I’ve met over a dozen members or former members, and traveled from California to New York in the process.  It’s been fun.

So here are my Top 10 Highlights of the last 11 years and 20,000 posts, in no particular order:

Meeting new friends
      Having stimulating conversations about a variety of topics
      Learning new points of view, so different from mine that I consider it similar to living in a new culture far away from home
      Having my positions challenged
      Learning more about critical thinking and logical fallacies
      Traveling to some of your home towns, and even homes (Dave, among others)
      Learning more about myself and why I believe what I believe and think what I think
      Being exposed to nhoj’s “Trioonity”
      Being exposed to burt’s concept of consciousness being part of reality
      Laughing my ass off

So this is post 20,000.  Kinda pitiful that a grown man would post this much – I never contemplated getting here.  I think I’ve dropped out for several months 2 or 3 times, but always found my way back.  I guess I missed the place – and the people.  So, once again, thanks.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1267
Joined  31-10-2015

27 March 2018 12:19

Tip of the wine glass to you, Bruce. You’re my favorite out of all your high-post count peers. Wait a second . . . that doesn’t sound right. You know what I mean!

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2524
Joined  21-10-2016

27 March 2018 12:39

Cheers, EN (Bruce)!  Although I’m a relative newbie here, I can see that you’re a big part of the personality of this place.  I especially enjoy your humour.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9142
Joined  20-10-2006

28 March 2018 14:59

I guess this means we’re stuck with you despite all our efforts to run you off?  Well, in your defense, you did start the “What are you drinking now?” thread.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6857
Joined  15-05-2009

28 March 2018 15:04

If anyone ever claims that theism engenders ignorance, intolerance, or close-mindedness, you are the counter-example.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20699
Joined  11-03-2007

28 March 2018 16:43

Thanks, all.  Hope you are having a wonderful Spring!

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16739
Joined  15-02-2008

28 March 2018 20:27

Congrats, you are the only person in history to have achieved this so far!