Forum Guidelines 2018

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4856
Joined  19-08-2010

14 April 2018 12:04

Nhoj Morley - 14 April 2018 11:30 AM

Mart and I are finally catching up.

We might need more than the last hour to catch up properly.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1237
Joined  31-10-2015

14 April 2018 16:40

MARTIN_UK - 14 April 2018 12:04 PM
Nhoj Morley - 14 April 2018 11:30 AM

Mart and I are finally catching up.

We might need more than the last hour to catch up properly.

At this early stage of human evolution, each gender has managed to obtain some visceral though limited understanding of its respective members. That’s right—men do know certain things about how other guys think, and women seem similarly to be able to understand their own gender. Distant reports indicate some modicum of understanding does bridge the genders, but this population can only be found on a minuscule island that lies off of a tiny island located quite a ways from a small island just off the Indian Ocean.

LJ efficiently describes an understanding gap of sorts between the genders. As usual, she’s perfectly willing and able to colorfully tell the truth.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4856
Joined  19-08-2010

15 April 2018 00:11

Well, I am starting to get the gist of the situation now.

The problem is, if it is a problem, I actually see it as being quite a healthy thing… the problem is, and folk may or may not have picked up on this over the years, but… the problem is, Nhoj and I, although good friends and fellow fans of forum FUN, quite often see things very differently. It’s a great way to gain perspective, middle ground, balance at times.
You see, I’m all for less rules, suck it and see, take each situation on it’s merits. Whereas Nhoj likes things pinned down more. I completely see the logic in that, I do, people know where they stand, they understand limits, but for me often a broad brush doesn’t always cover all areas, then you get into regulations, sub-regulations and local policy… ZZzzzz sorry I nodded off just then.
I see the advantage and pitfalls of both systems, plus we have already got an established forum where folk have deep rooted expectations and many years of custom and practice which they see as normal and probably won’t like that being adjusted too much, not saying it shouldn’t or won’t be adjusted, just that it usually causes grief.

Anyone can step in here at any time…

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20535
Joined  11-03-2007

15 April 2018 08:49

I’m in favor of few or no rules. Either we police ourselves or you guys decide.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3468
Joined  20-11-2013

15 April 2018 09:02

While this is a free and open Forum, its existence and maintenance are not free; there is a patron who pays the bills.

With the above in mind, the Admins are arbiters of the following (edited 2016) guidelines:

#1: Threads have topics to which posters must attempt to adhere.

#2: Thread topics are not limited to Dr. Harris’s material or most recent podcast.

#3: This is not an atheist-only forum.

#4: Every post and every thread of the forum will be mixed-company work-place friendly.

#5: Language restrictions must reflect best mixed-company work-place behavior.

#6: Vigorous intellectual combat over forum topics is allowed and encouraged, civility is expected. Intellectual combat can and will be civilized.

#7: No poster may carry on in a manner exemplified by The Brother Mario.

Guideline #7 elicits the question, why is Mario exempt?

Should additional Mods/Marshalls be deemed necessary, selection and solicitation of same shall be at the discretion of the Admins sans the advice and consent of Forum members.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

15 April 2018 15:29

MARTIN_UK - 15 April 2018 12:11 AM

Well, I am starting to get the gist of the situation now.

The problem is, if it is a problem, I actually see it as being quite a healthy thing… the problem is, and folk may or may not have picked up on this over the years, but… the problem is, Nhoj and I, although good friends and fellow fans of forum FUN, quite often see things very differently. It’s a great way to gain perspective, middle ground, balance at times.
You see, I’m all for less rules, suck it and see, take each situation on it’s merits. Whereas Nhoj likes things pinned down more. I completely see the logic in that, I do, people know where they stand, they understand limits, but for me often a broad brush doesn’t always cover all areas, then you get into regulations, sub-regulations and local policy… ZZzzzz sorry I nodded off just then.
I see the advantage and pitfalls of both systems, plus we have already got an established forum where folk have deep rooted expectations and many years of custom and practice which they see as normal and probably won’t like that being adjusted too much, not saying it shouldn’t or won’t be adjusted, just that it usually causes grief.

Anyone can step in here at any time…

If you are saying leave things as they are, I agree with you.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

16 April 2018 14:10

So, how will this finally be decided?  And when will we know?

Observation: If you guys make up the rules, interpret the rules, and enforce the rules, that is functionally equivalent to just letting you be king, so we might as well just skip the foreplay.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5971
Joined  22-02-2005

16 April 2018 22:54

So be it. I shall perform as Judge, Judy and Executioner.

Thank The Simpsons for the gag. Like Judge Judy, I will retire to chambers and do the deed. I think everyone will be surprised. If that is still possible these days.

The Ruling shall then be submitted to the Advisory Board for help with the typos.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

17 April 2018 06:48

Hail to the King!

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19789
Joined  20-07-2007

17 April 2018 17:36

bbearren - 15 April 2018 09:02 AM

While this is a free and open Forum, its existence and maintenance are not free; there is a patron who pays the bills.

With the above in mind, the Admins are arbiters of the following (edited 2016) guidelines:

#1: Threads have topics to which posters must attempt to adhere.

#2: Thread topics are not limited to Dr. Harris’s material or most recent podcast.

#3: This is not an atheist-only forum.

#4: Every post and every thread of the forum will be mixed-company work-place friendly.

#5: Language restrictions must reflect best mixed-company work-place behavior.

#6: Vigorous intellectual combat over forum topics is allowed and encouraged, civility is expected. Intellectual combat can and will be civilized.

#7: No poster may carry on in a manner exemplified by The Brother Mario.

Guideline #7 elicits the question, why is Mario exempt?

Should additional Mods/Marshalls be deemed necessary, selection and solicitation of same shall be at the discretion of the Admins sans the advice and consent of Forum members.

Agree

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9274
Joined  29-01-2010

18 April 2018 08:18

Haven’t we discussed the Mario dilemma a dozen times?  The same predictable people cry “Lock him up”!”  or, to be more precise, “Lock him out!”

The other predictable people, of whom I am one, protest expelling him.

My view is that, unless he threatens someone, let him stay.  He is a fixture that makes the Forum unique.  Without him, the forum would just be a humdrum forum, similar to all the other run-of -the-mill atheist-theist debate forums. 

Newbies will soon see the outrage and controversy he provokes and conclude that he is a jerk and take him on or avoid him.

The regulars should be tough enough to tolerate the “Mario-style” and do the same thing as the newbies.  Take him or leave him and/or find a more congenial forum in which the members are more congenial.  There are many to choose from. 

Either that or join the Buddhist thread, meditate, and view him as “manure for enlightenment.” Or the philosophy thread and practice stoicism.

To generalize, I prefer a forum, which allows controversial posters to express themselves.

[ Edited: 18 April 2018 08:22 by saralynn]

Ola

Ola
Total Posts:  1110
Joined  12-07-2016

18 April 2018 11:05

I’m sure there’s a way to create a sub board area, password protected, viewable only by logged in members, where controversial or confrontational posters could play happily to a self selecting audience thus removing the rather odd and possibly rude suggested choice of
“Take him or leave him and/or find a more congenial forum in which the members are more congenial”.

Ola

Ola
Joined  12-07-2016

18 April 2018 11:08

(I find the members here to be reasonably congenial. I’ve really only met one permanently obnoxious type, went by the name of Mario….)

To generalize, I prefer a forum, which allows controversial posters to express themselves.

Sounds good in theory. In reality though, such posters’ activities can often deter many other posters from expressing themselves.

[ Edited: 18 April 2018 11:12 by Ola]

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1237
Joined  31-10-2015

18 April 2018 11:20

Ola - 18 April 2018 11:08 AM

(I find the members here to be reasonably congenial. I’ve really only met one permanently obnoxious type, went by the name of Mario….)

Sounds good in theory. In reality though, such posters’ activities can often deter many other posters from expressing themselves.

I don’t doubt that’s true. You’ve got to admit, though—it’s refreshing for an atheism-inclined forum to have a screaming religionist locked up in its cellar. My apologies, Mario. I use the word “religionist” generally here.

Ola

Ola
Joined  12-07-2016

18 April 2018 11:34

A cellar seems a good place to keep one. Attics are also handy. At the moment, though, he appears to be in the spare room and the walls are pretty thin.
:/

‹ First  < 7 8 9 10 11 >  Last ›