I like this idea

Chaz

Chaz
Total Posts:  129
Joined  24-02-2018

13 April 2018 02:03

I had the idea that the Christian split from Judaism lead to the ability of the US to be established, but now we’re suffering from it’s reach to extreme, and the only way to fix it is to go back to Judaism. That would be fantastic. In effect, we would be regressing backwards through religious history and hopefully end up where religion is extinct, but I would be ok with Judaism as the main one in my life time. It’s obviously the best choice just by comparison to the others. Christians are running around maximizing the use of freedom and forgetting that it takes work to maintain a happy life, while Muslims are divided between “please accept us” and “please die for us” forces me to explain that if we can’t save the people and burn the institution, then reverting back has to be the next best thing.

Ola

Ola
Total Posts:  1110
Joined  12-07-2016

13 April 2018 02:14

I don’t agree that Judaism is so different from the other two abrahamic branches, not do I think that regression is the best progression. Take the qualities you admire in Judaism, I expect you’ll find them sitting inside Islam and Christianity too. As for the problems inside Christianity and Islam, you’ll find equivalents or parallels in Judaism, no doubt.
Surely the best available solution is to continue to move forward in a humanist, secular, self-aware manner? Improving it as we go? Isn’t regression begging for a repeat of history?

Chaz

Chaz
Joined  24-02-2018

13 April 2018 09:23

Not as I see it. There’s no going back to human sacrifice for society. I see that the people of today are clinging to Christianity and trying to keep it without the dogma, but isn’t it as obvious to you that the people of today are doing better when raised in a Jewish home? I’m not Jewish and I don’t know everything that I probably should know about it, but comparing the result of how well most people do in today’s world, Judaism wins. I understand that both Christianity and Islam were derived from Judaism, and honestly I see the connection between the two as the Quran being closer to the third testament. It’s a continuation of the holy bible after Jesus comes back to judge everyone. I had an argument articulated that Muhammad and Jesus was the same person, separated only by the resurrection. That was a decade ago but it still makes sense.

The regressing backwards idea was probably the wrong articulation of my thoughts but I hope the point wasn’t lost.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6504
Joined  15-02-2007

13 April 2018 09:39

Judaism has its own set of problematic believers too.  See the Hassidic communities of NY for example.

Chaz

Chaz
Joined  24-02-2018

15 April 2018 17:34

Jefe - 13 April 2018 09:39 AM

Judaism has its own set of problematic believers too.  See the Hassidic communities of NY for example.

Fair enough

lynmc

lynmc
Total Posts:  383
Joined  03-08-2014

15 April 2018 17:58

Chaz - 13 April 2018 02:03 AM

I had the idea that the Christian split from Judaism lead to the ability of the US to be established, but now we’re suffering from it’s reach to extreme, and the only way to fix it is to go back to Judaism. That would be fantastic. In effect, we would be regressing backwards through religious history and hopefully end up where religion is extinct, but I would be ok with Judaism as the main one in my life time. It’s obviously the best choice just by comparison to the others. Christians are running around maximizing the use of freedom and forgetting that it takes work to maintain a happy life, while Muslims are divided between “please accept us” and “please die for us” forces me to explain that if we can’t save the people and burn the institution, then reverting back has to be the next best thing.

Ditto for whoever said all the religions have their problems (including atheism).  Not to pick on Judaism, but genocide gets a lot of support among some of its adherents: see http://mondoweiss.net/2018/04/netanyahu-extermination-discussions/

Ola

Ola
Joined  12-07-2016

15 April 2018 22:17

Atheism is not a religion, of course.

Chaz

Chaz
Joined  24-02-2018

16 April 2018 08:53

You all have missed the point. People who are atheists are calling themselves christians even though they don’t believe the teachings of it and I’m saying it would be better to do that with Judaism.

Ola

Ola
Joined  12-07-2016

16 April 2018 23:03

But better than just being honest and being atheist? Really?

Chaz

Chaz
Joined  24-02-2018

17 April 2018 02:44

Ola - 16 April 2018 11:03 PM

But better than just being honest and being atheist? Really?

Nothing is better than being true to yourself, but if people must cling to religion, they’ve chosen the wrong one