Westworld experiment

Giulio

Giulio
Total Posts:  259
Joined  26-10-2016

15 April 2018 04:53

Waiting for Season 2.

What is the ‘experiment’ alluded to (eg at the 12min mark in episode 7 of Season 1)? Is it about AI?  Or is it the observation of human behaviour (perhaps to deconstruct the human psyche) in the ultimate VR setting?

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  2679
Joined  26-03-2013

15 April 2018 06:16

I recall Ford and Arnold coming to blows over Arnold’s desire to create a world wherein the hosts become self aware.  That was the experiment and the reason Arnold designed the theme park in the first place.  After his death Ford made it his mission to continue the experiment using Bernard, the AI version of Arnold, as a crucial component to facilitate this endeavour.  Of creating sentient beings from scratch.  At least, that’s my take.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3192
Joined  20-11-2013

15 April 2018 09:10

Westworld season 2: “The puppet show is over and we are coming for you”

Giulio

Giulio
Total Posts:  259
Joined  26-10-2016

19 April 2018 04:02

LadyJane - 15 April 2018 06:16 AM

I recall Ford and Arnold coming to blows over Arnold’s desire to create a world wherein the hosts become self aware.  That was the experiment and the reason Arnold designed the theme park in the first place.  After his death Ford made it his mission to continue the experiment using Bernard, the AI version of Arnold, as a crucial component to facilitate this endeavour.  Of creating sentient beings from scratch.  At least, that’s my take.

Yes, but my reference involved a quote from the young company woman (forgotten her name); and it wasn’t clear to me she was aware of Ford’s experiments. In fact I would surprised if she was. So it occured to me (in rewatching this scene) if another experiment, which involved collecting data on humans, was involved.

But it is very possible I have been overly influenced by Yuval Harari’s talk at the last Davos (World Economic Forum) conference on datafication and the end of humanity. (If you haven’t seen this talk, available on youtube etc, I recommend it. Especially the point 2-3 mins before the end where he conjectures the role health care will play in the deconstruction of humanity.)

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  2679
Joined  26-03-2013

19 April 2018 06:17

Giulio - 19 April 2018 04:02 AM
LadyJane - 15 April 2018 06:16 AM

Yes, but my reference involved a quote from the young company woman (forgotten her name); and it wasn’t clear to me she was aware of Ford’s experiments. In fact I would surprised if she was. So it occured to me (in rewatching this scene) if another experiment, which involved collecting data on humans, was involved.

But it is very possible I have been overly influenced by Yuval Harari’s talk at the last Davos (World Economic Forum) conference on datafication and the end of humanity. (If you haven’t seen this talk, available on youtube etc, I recommend it. Especially the point 2-3 mins before the end where he conjectures the role health care will play in the deconstruction of humanity.)

Are you suggesting the thirty five years worth of data they’ve collected was primarily gathered to examine human behaviour rather than the hosts’?  That is quite the elaborate experiment of rats in a maze.  They are desperate to salvage the information, in any case, from the clutches of Ford and I don’t think they knew about Ford’s plans.  Wouldn’t creating storylines, seemingly off the cuff, skew the results of such an experiment toward preconceived conclusions?  When the drunk writer was crafting them patrons selected from a menu of scenarios and the feedback he received influenced the writing.  Which seems more like marketing than science.  Could there be another layer involving the corporate overlords conducting an overarching experiment that Ford never knew about?  When the tables turn and the hosts become self aware the original experiment comes to fruition and the hosts write the story.  And a rat would likely create a maze consisting of a straight hallway leading to the cheese.

Thanks for the Harari reference.  I’ll be sure to check it out when I get the chance.

[ Edited: 20 April 2018 10:59 by LadyJane]