Anti-depressants/anti-anxiety

Threads

Threads
Total Posts:  9
Joined  20-11-2015

16 April 2018 09:17

I thought I would ask about this here since I thought (and I hoped) this forum might be populated with people that think a lot and may be more aware of themselves and their internal movements and thus might have some light to shed on this topic from any personal experience they have had.

I have anxiety and have gone many years without taking any medication - (I’m 33, male, live in Bay Area, CA). About maybe 7 months ago I started taking Prozac. I was in my new relationship with my current girlfriend and I felt like I needed some help and boosting to help me. The Prozac helped but gave me some sexual side effects. I also experienced weird anxiety/racing heart at night. I went off that - after talking with my psychiatrist - and then didn’t take anything else.

Recently I started taking Mirtazapine. It seems to have started to work (went from 15mg to 30mg) but I’ve been experiencing some restlessness that has felt a little overwhelming.

I’m trying to get into meditation seriously. When I have engaged in it I always felt it bore fruit, I just never stayed consistent with it.

Ideally i don’t want to take any medication if I can manage my mental health with meditation, diet and exercise. For now, however, I feel like I could use something to help me while I establish roots in the aforementioned practices.

Have any of you had experience with anti-depression/anxiety medications? I have more anxiety than I do depression but there is definitely presence of the latter there. I have some life stresses occurring that also affect me - my father died a few years ago suddenly and that was and still is hard. Inheriting a house that needs lots of work I’ve been working on it myself. Other close family issues.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2289
Joined  21-10-2016

16 April 2018 09:48

Hi Threads,

I am very sympathetic to your situation as I have had experience with depression and anxiety.  However, I would not want to give any advice as I would be concerned about saying the wrong thing and possibly doing more harm than good.  The only thing I will say is that you should be wary of any advice you receive from anyone who does not know you personally, does not have a thorough knowledge of your situation, and is not qualified to give such advice.  I am fairly sure that anyone here at the forum who does have expertise would be reluctant to give specific advice without knowing you.

But please continue to look for the help you need.

Jan

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6416
Joined  15-02-2007

16 April 2018 10:56

Jan_CAN - 16 April 2018 09:48 AM

Hi Threads,

I am very sympathetic to your situation as I have had experience with depression and anxiety.  However, I would not want to give any advice as I would be concerned about saying the wrong thing and possibly doing more harm than good.  The only thing I will say is that you should be wary of any advice you receive from anyone who does not know you personally, does not have a thorough knowledge of your situation, and is not qualified to give such advice.  I am fairly sure that anyone here at the forum who does have expertise would be reluctant to give specific advice without knowing you.

But please continue to look for the help you need.

Jan

Agreed.  Don’t rely on impersonal internet advice.  Continue to work with your Doctor until you find a course of treatment that works best for you.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1185
Joined  31-10-2015

16 April 2018 11:44

Threads - 16 April 2018 09:17 AM

I thought I would ask about this here since I thought (and I hoped) this forum might be populated with people that think a lot and may be more aware of themselves and their internal movements and thus might have some light to shed on this topic from any personal experience they have had.

I have anxiety and have gone many years without taking any medication - (I’m 33, male, live in Bay Area, CA). About maybe 7 months ago I started taking Prozac. I was in my new relationship with my current girlfriend and I felt like I needed some help and boosting to help me. The Prozac helped but gave me some sexual side effects. I also experienced weird anxiety/racing heart at night. I went off that - after talking with my psychiatrist - and then didn’t take anything else.

Recently I started taking Mirtazapine. It seems to have started to work (went from 15mg to 30mg) but I’ve been experiencing some restlessness that has felt a little overwhelming.

I’m trying to get into meditation seriously. When I have engaged in it I always felt it bore fruit, I just never stayed consistent with it.

Ideally i don’t want to take any medication if I can manage my mental health with meditation, diet and exercise. For now, however, I feel like I could use something to help me while I establish roots in the aforementioned practices.

Have any of you had experience with anti-depression/anxiety medications? I have more anxiety than I do depression but there is definitely presence of the latter there. I have some life stresses occurring that also affect me - my father died a few years ago suddenly and that was and still is hard. Inheriting a house that needs lots of work I’ve been working on it myself. Other close family issues.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I’m not a medical professional and as a result could be fined by my state’s authorities for recommending a medication for you to try. I’ll just say that a UCSF doctor once recommended BuSpar for someone I was connected with, as the safest—by far—anti-anxiety medication available due to its minimal side-effects and lack of addiction potential. If you have a somewhat addictive personality, I’d avoid true benzodiazepines.

(That’s not a medication recommendation, is it?!?)

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

16 April 2018 15:24

The only thing I will say is that you should be wary of any advice you receive from anyone who does not know you personally, does not have a thorough knowledge of your situation, and is not qualified to give such advice.

What Jan said.

A forum such as this is not a place to ask for medical or behavioral health advice.

...but it is a good place to shoot the breeze.
Welcome to the forum…
GET OUT OF HERE before its too late. There are monsters that can come out of the computer at any time.  Monsters from the Id
This is a safe place to speak your mind about anything.
Everyone is accepting and kind   Except for the Nazi aliens from planet Zevlon, who eat human livers for breakfast

I look forward to engaging you in cheerful political repartee   and also to find out if you are an alien spy from the planet Jupiter looking to subvert our civilization

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1185
Joined  31-10-2015

17 April 2018 14:48

jdrnd - 16 April 2018 03:24 PM

The only thing I will say is that you should be wary of any advice you receive from anyone who does not know you personally, does not have a thorough knowledge of your situation, and is not qualified to give such advice.

What Jan said.

A forum such as this is not a place to ask for medical or behavioral health advice.

...but it is a good place to shoot the breeze.
Welcome to the forum…
GET OUT OF HERE before its too late. There are monsters that can come out of the computer at any time.  Monsters from the Id
This is a safe place to speak your mind about anything.
Everyone is accepting and kind   Except for the Nazi aliens from planet Zevlon, who eat human livers for breakfast

I look forward to engaging you in cheerful political repartee   and also to find out if you are an alien spy from the planet Jupiter looking to subvert our civilization

Jeff, aren’t you the guy who once proposed that lots more people would be better off if they started taking speed? Am I misremembering? (Don’t make me search for it!)

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4848
Joined  19-08-2010

18 April 2018 12:07

Lot’s of people benefit from Beta-Blocking medication who suffer from anxiety. It seems to make sense.

But what would I know… wink