1 2 3 >  Last ›

Mario

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20788
Joined  11-03-2007

19 April 2018 17:56

This thread is about all things Mario, but without Mario, so he can not ruin it with his poison. He will be commenting from the Jar, if anyone cares.

I’ll employ the sandwich method: good, bad, then good.

Good:  Mario has a unique perspective, and I accept his experiences as valid and real, as many of us have had similar events.  This is valuable, as it represents a significant aspect of human life.

Bad: But if I think of Christians who, in their public presentation, are least like Jesus, Mario is number 2 behind Donald Trump.  He can be vile, wicked, callous, uncomprehending, dogmatic, judgmental, condescending and condemning, none of which are qualities advanced by Christ.  He is a contradiction and a hypocrite in this regard.

Good: But here I am writing about him.  He has positioned himself, in his narcissism, to be the center of attention in many ways.  Nice work.  The bar would not be as lively without him.

I now surrender the floor to my fellow drunkards.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

19 April 2018 18:36

EN - 19 April 2018 05:56 PM

...if I think of Christians who, in their public presentation, are least like Jesus, Mario is number 2 behind Donald Trump.  He can be vile, wicked, callous, uncomprehending, dogmatic, judgmental, condescending and condemning, none of which are qualities advanced by Christ.

I would ask the question:
Is the “Mario” of the Sam Harris Forum a real person, or an invented online character.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

19 April 2018 18:46

jdrnd - 19 April 2018 06:36 PM

...if I think of Christians who, in their public presentation, are least like Jesus, Mario is number 2 behind Donald Trump.  He can be vile, wicked, callous, uncomprehending, dogmatic, judgmental, condescending and condemning, none of which are qualities advanced by Christ.

I would ask the question:
Is the “Mario” of the Sam Harris Forum a real person, or an invented online character.

If he isn’t, where does he get those photos that make him look like Billy Bob Thornton?

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1302
Joined  31-10-2015

19 April 2018 19:02

1. I’m still royally pissed at Mario for calling me a liar years ago. You’d think something else would bother me more, but nothing else he’s done has affected me.

2. Jefe’s statement earlier today is probably the best argument in this controversy though I can’t help thinking that if newcomers to this forum are sufficiently warned about Mario’s unruly ways, they’ll perhaps appreciate him the way I do. Perhaps not.

3. I enjoyed reading saralynn’s posts today. They inspired me to write what I did about Mario.

4. I like the fact that this thread is being allowed, Bruce. Rules need not be adhered to too rigidly, in my opinion.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16861
Joined  15-02-2008

19 April 2018 23:56

He’s a twisted, self-righteous extremist asshole.

Celal

Celal
Total Posts:  3114
Joined  07-08-2011

20 April 2018 11:09

This thread is about all things Mario, but without Mario, so he can not ruin it with his poison. .

That is a sure way of winning the argument.  At least so you think.

Disliking, shunning and now deciding to berate someone whose views you reject does nothing for your standing in the eyes of those who hold higher standards for debating others.  Barring someone from defending himself and proceed to vilify him and invite others to join you diminishes you rather than inform, edify or educate any fair-minded persons.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

20 April 2018 11:17

Celal - 20 April 2018 11:09 AM

This thread is about all things Mario, but without Mario, so he can not ruin it with his poison. .

Disliking, shunning and now deciding to berate someone whose views you reject does nothing for your standing in the eyes of those who hold higher standards for debating others.  Barring someone from defending himself and proceed to vilify him and invite others to join you diminishes you rather than inform, edify or educate any fair-minded persons.

Celal, I think your misunderstanding EN here. Mario is currently disallowed from posting in the Forum other than in his dungeon. It’s a wacky tradition, ok?

Celal

Celal
Joined  07-08-2011

20 April 2018 11:28

nonverbal - 20 April 2018 11:17 AM

Celal, I think your misunderstanding EN here. Mario is currently disallowed from posting in the Forum other than in his dungeon. It’s a wacky tradition, ok?

I misunderstand nothing.  Obviously, EN knows what you know. That is the point. That was the point I made. It is shocking to me how accepting you all are of this - what you call - “wacky tradition”!  How about the tradition of fair play, and common decency?

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

20 April 2018 11:57

Celal - 20 April 2018 11:28 AM
nonverbal - 20 April 2018 11:17 AM

I misunderstand nothing.  Obviously, EN knows what you know. That is the point. That was the point I made. It is shocking to me how accepting you all are of this - what you call - “wacky tradition”!  How about the tradition of fair play, and common decency?

Mario lacks posting privileges anywhere other than in his cave. Is that so complicated?

Chaz

Chaz
Total Posts:  129
Joined  24-02-2018

20 April 2018 12:44

Celal - 20 April 2018 11:28 AM

You think that someone would have their posting privileges revoked if they practice the tradition of fair play and common decency? I haven’t been here that long but I have had my run in of trouble with other people and mods where I’ve insulted basically everyone, but I do follow fair play and it does take a bit for me to lose common decency, yet I haven’t been spoken to or even threatened with discipline about my words or behavior.  I don’t know the story of Mario but to pretend that he deserves to be treated better than he treats others is absurd. I readily admit my vast amount of short comings and I’m honestly surprised I haven’t been suspended. The fact that he has been punished means he’s done worse than I have, and I can’t ignore the hypocrisy of demanding he be treated better than he treats others.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

20 April 2018 13:23

I have no argument.  He’s barred from coming here.

Celal

Celal
Joined  07-08-2011

20 April 2018 14:38

I wasn’t arguing that Mario be able to post in your thread. The Admins saw it fit to confine him to a specific place. I make no judgements on that action as I respect their decision.  I merely argued that it is simply wrong to have a thread where you gleefully post about him knowing that he can’t respond and you even brag about that he can’t. 

Do you really not see anything wrong with that?  May be I need a break from this forum myself.  Carry on.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

20 April 2018 15:41

Celal - 20 April 2018 02:38 PM

I wasn’t arguing that Mario be able to post in your thread. The Admins saw it fit to confine him to a specific place. I make no judgements on that action as I respect their decision.  I merely argued that it is simply wrong to have a thread where you gleefully post about him knowing that he can’t respond and you even brag about that he can’t. 

Do you really not see anything wrong with that?  May be I need a break from this forum myself.  Carry on.

m

I’m expressing my opinion about him. Does Hillary Clinton get to respond every time you talk about her ?  He put himself in this position.  He’s lucky he’s still here.

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  118
Joined  07-02-2017

20 April 2018 19:03

I’ll employ ‘the good, the bad, and the ugly’ characterizations…

The Good: There really is no good. I don’t accept anyone’s religious experiences as “valid and real”. I categorize them as ‘personal miracles.’ I base my determinations of reality on objective evidence. To my knowledge no miracle (or personal miraculous experience) has yet to be proven as factual.

The Bad: Mario is the ‘Antichrist’ when it comes to ‘Christ-like behavior with respect to his postings on this forum.

The Ugly: IMO, Mario’s presence negatively impacts the credibility of this forum as a place for civil debate.The Harris forum may be better off without a resident Troll even if jarred. There will still be patrons who self-identify as Christians who can be engaged in rigorous debate without the constant insults.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6030
Joined  22-02-2005

20 April 2018 19:49

Longtime patrons know the Mario story. For the sake of newer members, the situation needs to be freshly recast.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9169
Joined  20-10-2006

20 April 2018 19:50

Mario is a chew toy on which some members enjoy chewing, and his confinement is well deserved, and he has agreed to it.

For once, I agree with Celal.  Poke Mario in The Jar.

1 2 3 >  Last ›