Toronto attack

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2043
Joined  21-10-2016

23 April 2018 18:13

10 dead, 15 others injured after van strikes pedestrians near Yonge and Finch (Toronto)
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/10-dead-15-others-injured-after-van-strikes-pedestrians-near-yonge-and-finch-1.3898122

We don’t know yet if this was an act of terrorism, but we do know it’s another tragedy caused by someone with no regard for the lives of others.

I can’t help but weep and now it’s close to home.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20201
Joined  11-03-2007

23 April 2018 19:19

Sorry.  Nothing good about this.  My condolences to your nation.

Ola

Ola
Total Posts:  1098
Joined  12-07-2016

23 April 2018 23:01

Sorry, Jan. It’s a contemptible, horrific, tragic act, whatever the motive, whoever the attacks, and my condolences to you and to Canada. Canada is a leading light in the world, and is strong, I know Canadians will pull together and find the best way to react to this. (Sounds trite, but I know you will).

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

24 April 2018 07:23

The one comfort after such tragic events is the coming together of people in their caring for each other.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6415
Joined  15-02-2007

24 April 2018 08:12

My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6516
Joined  15-05-2009

25 April 2018 06:37

People try to pin violence on different causes.  Like a “culture of violence.”  A friend told me she hosted an exchange student from Germany here in the US.  The student said that her family was worried about sending their daughter because the US is so violent (this was over 2 decades ago).  Of course, most of the US is very safe.  Though nowhere in the world is completely safe. 

When violence erupts in the West, we get a glimpse into what it must be like living in war-torn places around the world.  The human heart can host great anger as well as great compassion.  Looking at history, we see so much of each.  It is encouraging that there are places where bloodshed is rare.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  6343
Joined  22-02-2014

29 April 2018 16:02

The perp appears to be an “incel” i.e. “involuntarily celibate”.

I know a lot of people don’t like Jordan Peterson (although I haven’t heard exactly why), but I think he’s on to something when he tells young people that they have to become competent. I read a little bit about “incel” culture and among other things it seems to have a “victimhood” angle to it. The poor incels, the world (mostly girls), doesn’t treat them right.

I can acknowledge that I’m feeling a little “get off my lawnish” about this, but it does strike me that there are a lot of young people in the US and Canada who don’t have any true passions and who are not in pursuit of being good at anything. How the heck do you expect to be attractive to others if you’re useless?

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

29 April 2018 18:13

icehorse - 29 April 2018 04:02 PM

I know a lot of people don’t like Jordan Peterson (although I haven’t heard exactly why), but I think he’s on to something when he tells young people that they have to become competent. I read a little bit about “incel” culture and among other things it seems to have a “victimhood” angle to it. The poor incels, the world (mostly girls), doesn’t treat them right.

I can acknowledge that I’m feeling a little “get off my lawnish” about this, but it does strike me that there are a lot of young people in the US and Canada who don’t have any true passions and who are not in pursuit of being good at anything. How the heck do you expect to be attractive to others if you’re useless?

Do you really have to bring up that man’s name so often, particularly on this type of thread?  The psychology that leads to these types of tragedies is too complex to pigeonhole into anyone’s pet theories.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  6343
Joined  22-02-2014

29 April 2018 19:46

Jan_CAN - 29 April 2018 06:13 PM
icehorse - 29 April 2018 04:02 PM

Do you really have to bring up that man’s name so often, particularly on this type of thread?  The psychology that leads to these types of tragedies is too complex to pigeonhole into anyone’s pet theories.

(Jan - As an aside, I think I asked you in a different thread what specifically you disagreed with Peterson on - I’m still curious to know!)

As for “pidgeonholing”, well ya gotta start somewhere. I’m not interested in just hand-wringing, I’d like to try to understand why we have these “incels” and how we can turn them around. I start starting thinking about this and I’m interested in hearing other ideas.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

29 April 2018 21:49

icehorse - 29 April 2018 07:46 PM

... I’m not interested in just hand-wringing, I’d like to try to understand why we have these “incels” and how we can turn them around. I start starting thinking about this and I’m interested in hearing other ideas.

I can understand why you’d think the issue of ‘incels’ is relevant to this thread as it now appears that it relates to this tragic attack.  However, when I started this thread that was not yet known, and I’d prefer not to be the author/lead on discussion of that topic.  Perhaps you could start a separate thread about ‘incels’?