World Religions Map

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9118
Joined  20-10-2006

28 April 2018 18:22

A handy reference map of world religions, just in case you wanted to know.

https://thinktv.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/sj14-soc-religmap/world-religions-map/#.WuKJLS-ZOi7

Celal

Celal
Total Posts:  2980
Joined  07-08-2011

28 April 2018 21:13

PBS is not a good source to learn about religion. Here is what the title caption says about Islam under Menu.

” Islam

Most Muslims identify with one of three primary denominations, or branches—Sunni, Shia, and Sufism.”

They can not even tell Sufism is not a sect. 

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

28 April 2018 22:33

Celal - 28 April 2018 09:13 PM

PBS is not a good source to learn about religion. Here is what the title caption says about Islam under Menu.

” Islam

Most Muslims identify with one of three primary denominations, or branches—Sunni, Shia, and Sufism.”

They can not even tell Sufism is not a sect.

Care to cite a better source?

Celal

Celal
Total Posts:  2980
Joined  07-08-2011

29 April 2018 10:22

There is a fundamental flaw with the premise that there can be a single source for learning about World’s religions.  Here is what it says - in your link - about Hinduism.

“Hinduism

Most Hindus identify with one of four primary denominations, or branches—Vaishnavism, Shaivism, Shaktism, and Smartism.”

This tells me the people that put this together are clueless about Hinduism because they do not even understand “Hinduism” is not a religion like Islam, Christianity or Judaism is.  There is no single religion called “Hinduism”. It is a name given in the 19th Century to the coalitions of religions that exist in India based on western misconception. Similar to calling Judaism, Christianity and Islam as “Abrahamic” religions collectively.  So people from PBS simply propagate the misconception.

Skip - I would not look for a single source for all religions.  Because all religions aren’t alike. People who aren’t religious [I presume those at PBS, NPR, etc aren’t]  can not possibly comprehend the religious beliefs referenced, let alone trying to explain them to others.  That is why liberal atheists have no clue about Islam because they do not understand what it means to surrender to a God. But a fundamentalist Christian can have better appreciation of a radical Muslim terrorist who’s willing to sacrifice himself for God.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

29 April 2018 20:14

Split those hairs all you like, but the point of the map is to give an idea of which religions are where, not to argue the finer points of those religions.

ubique13

ubique13
Total Posts:  860
Joined  10-03-2017

30 April 2018 06:10

Some truly weird shit must be going on, as here I am hypocrisy-in-hand, about to agree pretty wholeheartedly with Celal. Forgive me my trespasses?

Celal - 29 April 2018 10:22 AM

There is a fundamental flaw with the premise that there can be a single source for learning about World’s religions.  Here is what it says - in your link - about Hinduism.

“Hinduism

Most Hindus identify with one of four primary denominations, or branches—Vaishnavism, Shaivism, Shaktism, and Smartism.”

This tells me the people that put this together are clueless about Hinduism because they do not even understand “Hinduism” is not a religion like Islam, Christianity or Judaism is.  There is no single religion called “Hinduism”. It is a name given in the 19th Century to the coalitions of religions that exist in India based on western misconception. Similar to calling Judaism, Christianity and Islam as “Abrahamic” religions collectively.  So people from PBS simply propagate the misconception.

Skip - I would not look for a single source for all religions.  Because all religions aren’t alike. People who aren’t religious [I presume those at PBS, NPR, etc aren’t]  can not possibly comprehend the religious beliefs referenced, let alone trying to explain them to others.  That is why liberal atheists have no clue about Islam because they do not understand what it means to surrender to a God. But a fundamentalist Christian can have better appreciation of a radical Muslim terrorist who’s willing to sacrifice himself for God.

The point Celal raised regarding Hinduism is absolutely correct (as is most notable in contrasting the Brahmin and Chandala castes). ‘Hinduism’ as a singular and collective religion in the sense that Western civilization has come to view it is simply not accurate. Neither is it accurate (or appropriate) to classify Christianity as an Abrahamic religion. This sort of claim - like any which would try to split Semitic hairs - is based on a categorical assumption that is nonsense.

Skipshot - 29 April 2018 08:14 PM

Split those hairs all you like, but the point of the map is to give an idea of which religions are where, not to argue the finer points of those religions.

I am eternally fascinated by the notion that choice is axiomatic. The Judgment of King Solomon is not a tale which promotes infanticide, it is one which supports the rights of the mother. Religiosity and belief are part of an ancient and cowardly urge to hide behind the great Plato in the sky, so that each of us may continue to feign humanity until we next rendezvous with a confessor.