NRA Convention Bans Guns To Protect Mike Pence

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9070
Joined  20-10-2006

29 April 2018 09:19

Guns will be barred during Vice President Mike Pence’s appearance at an upcoming National Rifle Association convention to protect his safety — prompting survivors of the Parkland school shooting in Florida to wonder why the gun group won’t agree to gun restrictions elsewhere to protect children.

Source

The hypocrisy is dumbfounding.  The NRA is willing to suspend the 2nd Amendment for some people.

[ Edited: 29 April 2018 09:24 by Skipshot]

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14786
Joined  24-12-2004

29 April 2018 11:04

Skipshot - 29 April 2018 09:19 AM

Guns will be barred during Vice President Mike Pence’s appearance at an upcoming National Rifle Association convention to protect his safety — prompting survivors of the Parkland school shooting in Florida to wonder why the gun group won’t agree to gun restrictions elsewhere to protect children.

Source

The hypocrisy is dumbfounding.  The NRA is willing to suspend the 2nd Amendment for some people.

I suspect it’s not voluntary though ... eh?

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

29 April 2018 12:16

SkepticX - 29 April 2018 11:04 AM

Source

I suspect they do not have to invite the VP if those are the conditions.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  6586
Joined  22-02-2014

29 April 2018 14:36

Source

Can we add “shameless” to the list?

SkepticX

SkepticX
Joined  24-12-2004

29 April 2018 16:10

Skipshot - 29 April 2018 12:16 PM

Source

Or, whatever works to validate the blind hatred and blanket prejudices and all that.

I get it. It’s very human. It’s what human brains naturally do when unchecked. Hard not to do a lot of the time, for any human brain owner.

I just don’t think that mindset’s terribly productive. It’s just about personal affirmation and almost always highly counterproductive—not that it has anything to do with the level of dysfunctional polarization in our society right now or anything like that of course.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

29 April 2018 20:11

SkepticX - 29 April 2018 04:10 PM

Source

Or, whatever works to validate the blind hatred and blanket prejudices and all that.

I keep forgetting how difficult it is to over-estimate the power of the mind to rationalize anything.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Joined  24-12-2004

29 April 2018 21:28

Skipshot - 29 April 2018 08:11 PM
SkepticX - 29 April 2018 04:10 PM

Source

I keep forgetting how difficult it is to over-estimate the power of the mind to rationalize anything.

... or its capacity to dig in and double down on our biases, recognizing (or presuming) those of others while failing to apply what we know about how human brains function to our own, and how strangely consistent this behavior tends to be with self-affirmation..

Yup.

Quadrewple

Quadrewple
Total Posts:  389
Joined  28-04-2017

30 April 2018 13:07

After reading the article, it seems the headline is misleading - it is the Secret Service which is banning guns, because “This arena is under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Secret Service during the Leadership Forum.”  If that’s not the case, then the article was very unclear and left out relevant details.

I’m not sure of the laws surrounding the Secret Service and its legal right to do things like this, or what the penalty would be for sneaking a firearm into the building (felony, misdemeanor, or simply grounds for being thrown out).  I would guess there was an arrangement made between the Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center and the Secret Service and the NRA, but the article doesn’t address that.

Either way, this doesn’t seem like the level of hypocrisy you’re claiming it is.  The Secret Service’s job is to protect the Vice President, not signal a lack of hypocrisy.  Again, I don’t know about the legalities or particulars of this situation, but I suspect you don’t either…...and neither does the person who wrote the article.

Also, banning guns and weapons from a single event when there’s a VP appearance (someone who clearly has reason to worry about their safety at all times) seems different from permanently outlawing the ability to carry them in a certain type of area (which requires the passage of a law) .  Maybe it doesn’t to you?

[ Edited: 30 April 2018 17:09 by Quadrewple]

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6293
Joined  08-12-2006

30 April 2018 16:45

Quadrewple - 30 April 2018 01:07 PM

After reading the article, it seems the headline is very misleading - it is the Secret Service which is banning guns, because “This arena is under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Secret Service during the Leadership Forum.”

I’m not sure of the laws surrounding the Secret Service and its legal right to do things like this, or what the penalty would be for sneaking a firearm into the building (felony, misdemeanor, or simply grounds for being thrown out).  I would guess there was an arrangement made between the Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center and the Secret Service and the NRA.

Either way, this doesn’t seem like the level of hypocrisy you’re claiming it is.  The Secret Service’s job is to protect the Vice President, not signal a lack of hypocrisy.  Again, I don’t know about the legalities or particulars of this situation, but I suspect you don’t either…...and neither does the person who wrote the article.

Also, banning guns and weapons from a single event when there’s a VP appearance (someone who clearly has reason to worry about their safety at all times) seems different from permanently outlawing the ability to carry them in a certain type of area (which requires the passage of a law) .  Maybe it doesn’t to you?

Yep!

According to the National Review:

Media Falsely Accuse NRA of Banning Guns at Mike Pence Speech

A number of media outlets this weekend accused the National Rifle Association of banning guns at an upcoming speaking event, ignoring the Secret Service security protocol that required the ban due to Vice President Mike Pence’s attendance.

HuffPo responded to the hypocrisy charges with the headline “NRA Convention Bans Guns To Protect Mike Pence. Parkland Survivors’ Jaws Drop,” while Slate went with, “Parkland Survivors mock NRA for banning guns during the Pence speech at convention.”

Politico published the headline “Parkland students criticize the NRA for banning guns at upcoming Pence event” while CBS News opted for the slightly more measured “Parkland survivors call out NRA over gun ban at Dallas event with Pence.”

NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch said the media’s willingness to parrot false claims of hypocrisy was a prime example of the “fake news” that erodes the public’s trust in the media. [Emphasis mine]

SkepticX

SkepticX
Joined  24-12-2004

30 April 2018 17:47

Antisocialdarwinist - 30 April 2018 04:45 PM
Quadrewple - 30 April 2018 01:07 PM

After reading the article, it seems the headline is very misleading - it is the Secret Service which is banning guns, because “This arena is under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Secret Service during the Leadership Forum.”

I’m not sure of the laws surrounding the Secret Service and its legal right to do things like this, or what the penalty would be for sneaking a firearm into the building (felony, misdemeanor, or simply grounds for being thrown out).  I would guess there was an arrangement made between the Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center and the Secret Service and the NRA.

Yep!

According to the National Review:

Media Falsely Accuse NRA of Banning Guns at Mike Pence Speech

A number of media outlets this weekend accused the National Rifle Association of banning guns at an upcoming speaking event, ignoring the Secret Service security protocol that required the ban due to Vice President Mike Pence’s attendance.

HuffPo responded to the hypocrisy charges with the headline “NRA Convention Bans Guns To Protect Mike Pence. Parkland Survivors’ Jaws Drop,” while Slate went with, “Parkland Survivors mock NRA for banning guns during the Pence speech at convention.”

Politico published the headline “Parkland students criticize the NRA for banning guns at upcoming Pence event” while CBS News opted for the slightly more measured “Parkland survivors call out NRA over gun ban at Dallas event with Pence.”

NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch said the media’s willingness to parrot false claims of hypocrisy was a prime example of the “fake news” that erodes the public’s trust in the media. [Emphasis mine]

Gotta love it when the media accuses The Media of doing something ... gotta feed that wolf though (if you’re deeply devoted to one of the teams on the field)!

[ Edited: 30 April 2018 17:57 by SkepticX]