Sam has made a significant error on his blog

Alexmahone

Alexmahone
Total Posts:  9
Joined  28-11-2017

10 May 2018 16:04

In Speaking of “Truth” with Jordan B. Peterson, Sam wrote

If we were true Darwinians, every man’s deepest desire would be to continually donate sperm to sperm banks so that he could sire thousands of children for whom he’d have no further responsibility.

Sperm banks are a recent invention and therefore evolution hasn’t had the time to act upon it. In a million years’ time, ceteris paribus, men may fantasize about donating to sperm banks the way modern men fantasize about sex. Dawkins made a similar point on Twitter recently.

We are true Darwinians, no getting around that.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2392
Joined  19-01-2015

11 May 2018 10:03

Nope, Sam Harris is spot on:
take the example of polygamy, mass-scale rape in case of ethnic cleansing or the 1,000+ children of Genghis Khan: the expressed goal is to maximize the number of offspring, not sexual satisfaction.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1041
Joined  31-10-2015

12 May 2018 12:48

Twissel - 11 May 2018 10:03 AM

Nope, Sam Harris is spot on:
take the example of polygamy, mass-scale rape in case of ethnic cleansing or the 1,000+ children of Genghis Khan: the expressed goal is to maximize the number of offspring, not sexual satisfaction.

How many of us dirty males are potential rapists, though? If the conditions were “right,” your own personality would most likely succumb to rape? Is the above a fucked-up admission of sorts?

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1041
Joined  31-10-2015

12 May 2018 12:51

Alexmahone - 10 May 2018 04:04 PM

If we were true Darwinians, every man’s deepest desire would be to continually donate sperm to sperm banks so that he could sire thousands of children for whom he’d have no further responsibility.

Sperm banks are a recent invention and therefore evolution hasn’t had the time to act upon it. In a million years’ time, ceteris paribus, men may fantasize about donating to sperm banks the way modern men fantasize about sex. Dawkins made a similar point on Twitter recently.

I hadn’t even thought of this. My reaction to Harris’s nonsense was that men are by nature entirely focused on getting sex, most obviously. To attempt to fine-tune such a fact into philosophical nonsense is worthy of the thinking of a philosophically brilliant third-grade boy.

[ Edited: 12 May 2018 12:53 by nonverbal]

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3225
Joined  20-11-2013

13 May 2018 07:10

nonverbal - 12 May 2018 12:51 PM

[My reaction to Harris’s nonsense was that men are by nature entirely focused on getting sex, most obviously. To attempt to fine-tune such a fact into philosophical nonsense is worthy of the thinking of a philosophically brilliant third-grade boy.

You found one!  I’m in complete agreement!

burt

burt
Total Posts:  14889
Joined  17-12-2006

13 May 2018 08:33

This was a thought I had back in the late 70s. I was traveling a good deal and it made perfect sense. People I mentioned the idea to didn’t seem to agree for some reason. Had I acted on this thought I’d probably be father of 1/2 of North America by now.

[ Edited: 13 May 2018 08:35 by burt]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  7626
Joined  20-02-2006

13 May 2018 10:57

burt - 13 May 2018 08:33 AM

This was a thought I had back in the late 70s. I was traveling a good deal and it made perfect sense. People I mentioned the idea to didn’t seem to agree for some reason. Had I acted on this thought I’d probably be father of 1/2 of North America by now.

The Beatles would be the fathers of the other half.  https://www.google.com/search?q=beetles+drowned+out+by+screaming+fans&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS693US693&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=hb2rmY9Oqu0KhM:,lAmplko2NQZDrM,_&usg=__reOkM7ZnzEThzryPc1EEMWtLtVc=&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwic_d_fn4PbAhUiS2MKHcGoC9UQ9QEINDAC#imgrc=hb2rmY9Oqu0KhM:

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2392
Joined  19-01-2015

13 May 2018 13:12

Point is: we have evolved so that we could rationally decide to have as many offspring as we physically can. We usually don’t, since the personal and social cost is too high. But that just shows that we are not true Darwinists, though we could be.