The Grand Finale

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1052
Joined  01-11-2014

10 May 2018 16:24

There has been considerable news coverage of 104 year old scientist, David Goodall, ending his life in Switzerland through assisted suicide today.

I personally support euthanasia and believe a person should have the right to chose the moment of their death and to do it in a peaceful and dignified matter.

But that’s not what this thread is about. I was reading about Mr. Goodall’s death when this caught my eye:

At one point, he was asked what tune he would choose for his last song, and he said the final movement of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony. Then he began to sing, with verve and vigor.

According to Mr. Nitschke, Mr. Goodall did end up choosing Beethoven, and he died the moment “Ode to Joy” concluded.”

Now that, was a good choice of music to check out to. Well done Mr. Goodall.

So this is my question:
If you were about to die, what piece of music would you pick?

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20796
Joined  11-03-2007

10 May 2018 17:21

Enter Sandman?

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6927
Joined  15-05-2009

10 May 2018 19:18

Rather than a song, how about the sounds of the local woods in the spring time?  Some soft breezes, the sweet sound of a chickadee, and the fluid melody of a wren.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16881
Joined  15-02-2008

10 May 2018 19:56

Tough call! I think maybe if my children could play me something on the piano that would be a lovely way to go.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

10 May 2018 19:58

hannahtoo - 10 May 2018 07:18 PM

Rather than a song, how about the sounds of the local woods in the spring time?  Some soft breezes, the sweet sound of a chickadee, and the fluid melody of a wren.

Reminds me of the clinic in Solent Green, you picked your favorite color, music and scenes.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20796
Joined  11-03-2007

11 May 2018 06:25

So far, I’m the only one who has suggested an actual piece of music. You can do better than that.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

11 May 2018 06:38

Well, could we really expect that we’d die right when the music was played?  Or would the piece need to be played over and over?  Just as a grim practicality, I’ve often heard people talk about their loved ones who are expected to die imminently, but they linger for a week or more.

I’m remembering a scene from Little Big Man, when the elderly Indian man, Old Lodge Skins, goes to the mountain top burial ground, saying, “It’s a good day to die.”  He offers himself to the Great Spirit, lies down on the prepared bed, and closes his eyes.  But after awhile, he is roused by raindrops.  He realizes he’s not at the end yet, and walks back down the mountain.  “Sometimes the magic works, and sometimes it doesn’t.”

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

11 May 2018 07:38

GAD - 10 May 2018 07:58 PM
hannahtoo - 10 May 2018 07:18 PM

Reminds me of the clinic in Solent Green, you picked your favorite color, music and scenes.

Yes, that was a powerful scene in that movie. It seems to stick with people. It passed through my mind when I started this thread.

Funny thing is, I don’t remember if there was music playing during it.

And EN is right, except for him, no one has picked a specific tune.

Pick something!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD-E-LDc384

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

11 May 2018 07:52

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2623
Joined  21-10-2016

11 May 2018 08:39

Maybe ... ‘Going Home’ ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJFhTb1gi6Y

... Mother’s there ‘specting me
    Father’s waiting, too
    Lots of folk gathered there
    All the friends I knew

I’m going home

Nothing lost, all’s gain
    No more fret nor pain
    No more stumbling on the way
    No more longing for the day
    Going to roam no more ...

Although I’m an atheist who doesn’t believe in an afterlife, the idea of being united with those who have gone before was a hard one to let go of.  Heh, it’s possible I’ll be less of an atheist on my deathbed. ;-)

But in all actuality, I’d probably prefer quiet, and the soft whispers of loved ones.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3015
Joined  26-03-2013

11 May 2018 09:03

ubique13

ubique13
Total Posts:  862
Joined  10-03-2017

11 May 2018 11:20

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2623
Joined  21-10-2016

11 May 2018 12:35

hannahtoo - 11 May 2018 06:38 AM

Well, could we really expect that we’d die right when the music was played?  Or would the piece need to be played over and over?  Just as a grim practicality, I’ve often heard people talk about their loved ones who are expected to die imminently, but they linger for a week or more.

I’m remembering a scene from Little Big Man, when the elderly Indian man, Old Lodge Skins, goes to the mountain top burial ground, saying, “It’s a good day to die.”  He offers himself to the Great Spirit, lies down on the prepared bed, and closes his eyes.  But after awhile, he is roused by raindrops.  He realizes he’s not at the end yet, and walks back down the mountain.  “Sometimes the magic works, and sometimes it doesn’t.”

Great scene – you just gotta love Chief Dan George!
(There’s no music score playing, but ‘Raindrops keep falling on my head’ might of worked, or not.)

He starts ‘dying’ at about 2:20.

Am I still in this world?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m43rLhelNLM

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

11 May 2018 13:07

I suppose I should step up to the plate say which song I would choose.

I was originally going to pick “Tiny Dancer” by Elton John. It’s a beautiful song with it’s violins and steel guitars, not to mention Elton’s young voice which is lovely. It’s also the song that made me fall in love with music when I first heard it as a 14 year old teenager high on pot.

My second choice would have been “So I’m growing old on Magic Mountain,” by Father John Misty.

But then, on the way to work today I heard this gorgeous, sad song by Moby on the radio, and I knew instantly that was the song. Synchronicity, I guess.

“Almost Home”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq_VkETFPzQ

I’ll decide

In a moment’s time
To turn away
Leave it all behind

So inclined

Somewhere I would draw the line
The ground is hard
The treasure fine

So (And the stars fell from the sky)

Let it go (Falling down into the sea)
Wake up, wake up, wake up (Still I don’t know if it’s right)
We’re almost home (If this world is right for me)
So
Let it go
Wake up, wake up, wake up
We’re almost home

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9177
Joined  20-10-2006

11 May 2018 14:41

Cheshire Cat - 10 May 2018 04:24 PM

According to Mr. Nitschke, Mr. Goodall did end up choosing Beethoven, and he died the moment “Ode to Joy” concluded.”

I agree - https://youtu.be/kbJcQYVtZMo

As for me, I like Jimmy Cliff’s version of “I Can See Clearly Now” written by Johnny Nash - https://youtu.be/xzGV9Bl6CGg

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

11 May 2018 18:08

Skipshot - 11 May 2018 02:41 PM
Cheshire Cat - 10 May 2018 04:24 PM

I agree - https://youtu.be/kbJcQYVtZMo

As for me, I like Jimmy Cliff’s version of “I Can See Clearly Now” written by Johnny Nash - https://youtu.be/xzGV9Bl6CGg

Love that Jimmy Cliff song!