Survival of the friendliest

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6517
Joined  15-05-2009

14 May 2018 15:37

Returning to one of my favorite topics, here’s another example of how evolution is not simply driven by nature red in tooth and claw.  Cooperation also has a big part to play. 

The thesis of this article is that the friendliest wolves were the ones that forged a bond with humans, leading to a mutually beneficial relationship.  Over the ages, these wolves evolved into dogs.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/03/130302-dog-domestic-evolution-science-wolf-wolves-human/?beta=true

The protodogs came to be able to decipher human gestures.  This helped the two species hunt more successfully together.  Dogs could also sound a warning of danger and help in defense.

Dogs are very tuned in to their humans, much as babies are to their parents.  As a matter of fact, dogs are able to read us better than any other animal, including apes and wolves.

Anyway, this idea just made me feel happy about nature for a few minutes.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2043
Joined  21-10-2016

15 May 2018 01:34

It made me feel happy too.  Yes, cooperation plays a big part.

It probably also helped form the relationship that puppies (and kittens) are the cutest things on the planet.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20201
Joined  11-03-2007

15 May 2018 04:20

Yes, friendliness and cooperation are possible survival strategies. We typically use whatever tool works best for the situation: sometimes a two-man saw, sometimes a jackhammer.  Wolves went the friendliness route, and that changed them forever.