1 2 3 > 

Leaving Judaism

RoseTylerFan

RoseTylerFan
Total Posts:  26
Joined  23-05-2018

26 May 2018 03:36

Has anybody here left Judaism because of tribalism inherent in the religion?

I have been actually raised Catholic, but I’d been fascinated by the Old Testament as a child, so later in life I was shocked the moral shortcomings in these scriptures. Thus, experience of someone leaving Judaism would be relevant for me.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

27 May 2018 19:42

RoseTylerFan - 26 May 2018 03:36 AM

What do you mean by leaving Judaism?
I’m ethnically jewish, but I am an atheist.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20422
Joined  11-03-2007

29 May 2018 04:51

jdrnd - 27 May 2018 07:42 PM

You can’t leave your ethnicity, Jeff, but you still practice Passover, etc., right?  So you haven’t left Judaism, right?  Maybe it would help if you listed all the Jewish things you do, then we could judge you on this issue.  That would be fun.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3413
Joined  20-11-2013

29 May 2018 07:17

EN - 29 May 2018 04:51 AM

You can’t leave your ethnicity, Jeff, but you still practice Passover, etc., right?  So you haven’t left Judaism, right?  Maybe it would help if you listed all the Jewish things you do, then we could judge you on this issue.  That would be fun.

“Not a practicing Jew” is as close as Jeff can come.  In Exodus, the entire nation rejected god and built themselves a golden calf.  That’s why the stroll through the wilderness took forty years, so that those pagan Jews would die out and not be able to enter “the promised land”.

Kinda like the GOP and poor/sick people.  Just let them all die off, no more worries.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

29 May 2018 10:28

bbearren - 29 May 2018 07:17 AM

“Not a practicing Jew” is as close as Jeff can come.  In Exodus, the entire nation rejected god and built themselves a golden calf.  That’s why the stroll through the wilderness took forty years, so that those pagan Jews would die out and not be able to enter “the promised land”.

Kinda like the GOP and poor/sick people.  Just let them all die off, no more worries.

From an historical perspective, being non-Jewish probably lengthens one’s life-span.  That’s why Jeff toyed with becoming Episcopalian, but he found that the services were just too boring and the priesthood didn’t pay what he was used to.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

29 May 2018 15:57

Maybe it would help if you listed all the Jewish things you do, then we could judge you on this issue.  That would be fun.

Okay.

I talk jewish
i.e. (Oy gevalt)
I eat jewish
i.e. I eat bacon and shrimp and Chinese food
I sing jewish
i.e. my favorite song is “All along the watch tower” written by a jew
I like Black Widow
Scarlett Johansen is jewish
I like dark wine
i.e. Manischewitz concord grape wine
I come from New York
i.e. That’s a jewish city
I am a Liberal
i.e. Jews tend to be liberal
I don’t like Hitler
i.e. Jews are well know to be biased against this historical figure
I hate gefilte fish
i.e. Jews hate this particular monstrosity served during “special” meals
I eat Pork dishes
i.e. Chinese spare ribs are the best

Should I go on?

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

29 May 2018 16:00

EN - 29 May 2018 10:28 AM

From an historical perspective, being non-Jewish probably lengthens one’s life-span.  That’s why Jeff toyed with becoming Episcopalian, ...

I didn’t toy with it.

I am an
EPISCOPALIAN

May the peace of the lord be with you.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

30 May 2018 18:32

jdrnd - 29 May 2018 04:00 PM
EN - 29 May 2018 10:28 AM

From an historical perspective, being non-Jewish probably lengthens one’s life-span.  That’s why Jeff toyed with becoming Episcopalian, ...

I didn’t toy with it.

I am an
EPISCOPALIAN

May the peace of the lord be with you.

So you are a Jewish Episcopalian- that’s great!!  You should take the next step and become an Anglican priest in Queen Elizabeth’s private chapel. What a gig that would be!

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5918
Joined  22-02-2005

30 May 2018 18:37

Obviously, the question concerns the Judaism that one can leave, as in the Jewish religious or philosophical view.

Please don’t infect a newbie’s thread with frivolity, Jeff.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  2894
Joined  26-03-2013

31 May 2018 05:40

Are you saying there’s a rule about frivolously derailing a newbie’s thread by veering into unrelatable and off topic gratuitously personal information?  Is this so called rule applicable to all members or just guys?  Or just Jeff?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

31 May 2018 13:12

Moderator actions that could be defined by rules are in fact only as the mod sees fittin’ to take. This will be codified if the Ube’s ever let the guide out of limbo. Maybe I already have their answer in an abundance of crickets.

There are types of frivolity here.

There is ordinary frivolity, where a patron posts something trite or silly because it is all that they have to share, or all the thought that they can spare, or they are blinded by a wordy glare. It makes for a sorry public face but for these patrons we have the space.

While their cred may be tarnished, this posting will go unpunished.

Then there is the trademen’s frivolity. At its best, it brightens up the place when toiling patrons put on a slap-happy face. Sometimes a bard and sometimes a jerk but one just has to admire the work.

Lastly, there is forum frivolity. For decades we sneered at big gov solutions, now we find we must defend our institutions. We have an ancient format where words can play. Now we see how it could slip away. There is no point in any striving if others make it not worth arriving.

This institution will be defended. Patrons will decide if their fences are mended. We have a thing of which our ancestors dreampt. It deserves no gestures of contempt. One warning and then the boot to any patron who can’t give a hoot.

All these intentions will appear as manifestly written when I’m not the only one manifestly seeing what’s fittin’.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

31 May 2018 13:19

Sorry to interrupt with biz, fan of Rose. We apologize for any inconvenience.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

31 May 2018 14:51

Nhoj Morley - 30 May 2018 06:37 PM

Obviously, the question concerns the Judaism that one can leave, as in the Jewish religious or philosophical view.

Please don’t infect a newbie’s thread with frivolity, Jeff.

I am actually trying to engage RoseTylerFan.

The question is
What does it mean to leave the jewish religion?
Have I left the religion?
after all, I don’t believe any of that religious stuff.
If I am a secular Jew, does that mean I haven’t left the religion?

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

31 May 2018 14:54

LadyJane - 31 May 2018 05:40 AM

Are you saying there’s a rule about frivolously derailing a newbie’s thread by veering into unrelatable and off topic gratuitously personal information?  Is this so called rule applicable to all members or just guys?  Or just Jeff?

Nohj is correct.

I should be held to a higher standard.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  2894
Joined  26-03-2013

31 May 2018 15:30

jdrnd - 31 May 2018 02:54 PM

I should be held to a higher standard.

We all should.  Then maybe newbies would stick around for a change.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

31 May 2018 19:08

No, Nohj is not correct.

The point is, no one is going care What This Means To Jeff without a reason to.

Is Rose Fan’s inquiry pointless because you are secular? No, it means it applies to other people. You know, other people. Those crazy things the world is full of.

Thoughtfull responses take some time but twit-farts can appear in minutes on a newbie’s thread. Is the intention to demonstrate that there is no one here worth talking to? This can do more than put folks off from this forum. It can tarnish the whole idea of a forum.

First responders to a thread have a responsibility to uphold the best virtues of our secular values and aspirations. Short-sighted belittling is how the other side does things. The best way to promote critical thinking is to be observed practicing it.

Your post should have read, “This question does not apply to me. I have no reason to respond. Please forgive the intrusion.”

[ Edited: 31 May 2018 19:14 by Nhoj Morley]

1 2 3 >