#132- Freeing the Hostages A Conversation with Chris Voss

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6339
Joined  22-02-2005

09 July 2018 10:55

In this episode of the Waking Up podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Chris Voss about his experience as a hostage negotiator for the FBI. They discuss different types of hostage crises, along with many of the lessons that apply to negotiating in normal life.

#132- Freeing the Hostages A Conversation with Chris Voss

This thread is for listeners’ comments.

HairBrushedAndParted

HairBrushedAndParted
Total Posts:  6
Joined  02-01-2018

19 July 2018 13:32

Definitely one of the better podcasts.  Nice to take a break from the “culture war” and do something outside the box.  Entertaining and a few real gems there.  Didn’t agree with Voss when he first said that the use of anger wasn’t really of use during negotiation… until he said remember all the times someone got angry with you… and he’s right.  You don’t want to be around those kind of people.

unRheal

unRheal
Total Posts:  1
Joined  14-05-2019

21 May 2019 02:00

I live in Canada. When I try to send a text to the number Chris gave, it always just fails. It always just says “Not sent. Tap to try again.”
I tried installing a 3rd party texting app but that gave me other weird errors and didn’t work anyway.
I also tried installing the new Google thing that lets you mirror your texts on your PC and sending it from the PC, but it just mirrored the message on the phone and gave me the same error.
I read somewhere about country codes in front of SMS messages, so I even tried putting a +1 (the code for the USA from Canada) but same error.

Anyone have a solution I can either use from my phone or somewhere else online I can sign up with my PC, or whatever works..?  smile

Excellent cast. Though I think that of the vast majority of them, this was certainly top notch and very interesting.

Thanks for all the awesome stuff - here, waking up, and youtube. I can’t say enough good about Sam’s stuff to anyone interested in really seeking out the truth.

Edit: Perhaps even some kind soul who is either in Canada, and it works, so they can presumably retrieve the URL that you’re apparently sent, from which you can sign up to the list… or if some other kind USA resident can do the number-text thing and presumably it *will* work, and just PM me the URL of the reply..?  Any help from anyone that can get the URL of the website through the suggested message that would be kind enough to take 10 minutes to do it and PM/whatever me the URL.

Thanks for reading, and many thanks if you’re able to get the URL for me!  wink
Cheers
Andrew

Edit: doh. sometimes I can be slow. not stupid, but definitely slow… just used search engine and found his site easy.

[ Edited: 19 July 2019 05:47 by unRheal]