< 1 2

Existence, Evolution, and Consciousness

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6293
Joined  08-12-2006

20 July 2018 14:04

I’m not claiming that plants are or aren’t self-aware, I’m asking what makes you think they are. The only “evidence” you’ve given so far is that they move to adapt to their environment, as if that proves it. The examples I gave were of things that also move to adapt. If my leg isn’t self-aware (it moves when the doctor taps my knee), then that right there is an example of something that moves to adapt, so to speak, but isn’t self-aware. Which tells me that your “evidence” isn’t really “evidence” of self-awareness at all. It’s only evidence that plants move to adapt.

In terms of “knowing to do something to stay alive,” again, the only evidence you’ve given that plants “know to do something to stay alive” is the fact that they move to adapt—the same non-evidence you gave for their self-awareness. Does my leg “know to do something to stay alive?” In fact, a thing doesn’t even have to be alive in order to move to adapt, as in the motorcycle or electrons examples. So it’s not even evidence of life, let alone self-awareness.

Chaz

Chaz
Total Posts:  122
Joined  24-02-2018

20 July 2018 18:10

Antisocialdarwinist - 20 July 2018 02:04 PM

I’m not claiming that plants are or aren’t self-aware, I’m asking what makes you think they are. The only “evidence” you’ve given so far is that they move to adapt to their environment, as if that proves it.

You haven’t read my posts. Moving to adapt was only one. Absorbing water to survive was another. Venus flytraps digesting flies was another. African plants warning each other of the danger of being eaten was another. I was saving the fact that they reproduce for the next one.

The examples I gave were of things that also move to adapt. If my leg isn’t self-aware (it moves when the doctor taps my knee), then that right there is an example of something that moves to adapt, so to speak, but isn’t self-aware.

Wrong. Your examples were of things being forced to react, not things moving to adapt.

Which tells me that your “evidence” isn’t really “evidence” of self-awareness at all. It’s only evidence that plants move to adapt.

In terms of “knowing to do something to stay alive,” again, the only evidence you’ve given that plants “know to do something to stay alive” is the fact that they move to adapt—the same non-evidence you gave for their self-awareness. Does my leg “know to do something to stay alive?” In fact, a thing doesn’t even have to be alive in order to move to adapt, as in the motorcycle or electrons examples. So it’s not even evidence of life, let alone self-awareness.

You’ve completely failed to have a legit train of logic. Your motorcycle might not be self aware or alive, but you are, and your leg is part of you. You tell your leg to move and it reacts accordingly. That ties in pretty well with plants being conscious, but since I’ve lost my patience with you, I don’t feel the need to repeat examples to make the point.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6293
Joined  08-12-2006

20 July 2018 20:18

< 1 2