16 July 2018 05:07

Frontline’s episode on Putin from 2017

https://youtu.be/AZkCHspLqSQ

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2704
Joined  21-10-2016

16 July 2018 10:04

Just watched the Helsinki Trump-Putin press conference ... although some of it was expected, I’m still dumbfounded.
Did I really hear all that I think I heard? 

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  540
Joined  20-07-2017

16 July 2018 11:19

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/07/trump-putin/565310/

I keep joking to myself that he looked into Putin’s eyes and saw his soul, but this is so so far beyond Bush’s mis-calculating (or Obama’s failed reset).  The serious thought that comes to mind is treasonous.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20857
Joined  11-03-2007

16 July 2018 14:13

Even GOP disagree with what he said. To me it borders on treason. Putin must have some nasty videos of him, or his financial entanglements with the Ruskis must be deeper than we thought. There is no other reason for the position that he is taking. This is embarrassing, but revealing.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  01-11-2014

16 July 2018 14:48

The news coverage is pretty consistent about this: Trump was played for a sucker.

From the Guardian: https://tinyurl.com/y8tsv856

John Brennan, a former director of the CIA, tweeted: ‘Donald Trump’s press conference performance in Helsinki rises to & exceeds the threshold of “high crimes & misdemeanors.” It was nothing short of treasonous. Not only were Trump’s comments imbecilic, he is wholly in the pocket of Putin.

This is an opinion piece from Fox News. Fox News!

This is it’s title:
Putin eats Trump’s lunch in Helsinki—This is no way to win against Russia

Most importantly, on election meddling, Trump refused to stand with U.S. intelligence and charge Putin with interference, saying he doesn’t “see any reason why it would be” the Russians carrying out the illegal meddling.
For a sitting U.S. president to say publicly that he believes a foreign leader over his own intelligence team is shocking and admonishable. At a time when our democracy faces grave threats, it is deeply troubling that the president would side with the very country who attacked us.

https://tinyurl.com/ydx9gkpw

It must be quite an incriminating sex tape Putin has in his possession.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6991
Joined  15-05-2009

16 July 2018 17:58

Yes, there seemed to be quite a lot of criticism of Trump on Fox online, besides the one linked.  Maybe Trump will see some of this when he watches Fox on TV?  What I don’t get is why Trump feels there is more benefit for the US to strain relations with allies, while going easy on Russia, than the other way around.  If it is blackmail, I’m hoping Wikileaks can get access ti some videos and let the whole world see them.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  4933
Joined  28-05-2009

16 July 2018 22:49

The darkest part, for me was listening to the rationalizations of Trump supporters who had enough grasp of context to understand that it was a problem but not enough fortitude to name it:

‘He’s playing Putin’..........‘It’s a strategy to get the Russians off guard’........................‘its part of a larger plan’

Many will simply clutch the pearls and thank Jesus regardless of what he says or does and have been doing that the whole time. But the level of dissonance it requires to knowingly witness treason in real time and backpedal that fast and that creatively…shiiiiiiiittt.

I’ve had the experience of being charmed by someone to the point where I couldn’t see or acknowledge their faults. I know what that’s like. I’m incredibly depressed that someone as vulgar and shallow as Trump has managed to do this to so many people.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20857
Joined  11-03-2007

17 July 2018 04:25

Brick Bungalow - 16 July 2018 10:49 PM

The darkest part, for me was listening to the rationalizations of Trump supporters who had enough grasp of context to understand that it was a problem but not enough fortitude to name it:

‘He’s playing Putin’..........‘It’s a strategy to get the Russians off guard’........................‘its part of a larger plan’

Many will simply clutch the pearls and thank Jesus regardless of what he says or does and have been doing that the whole time. But the level of dissonance it requires to knowingly witness treason in real time and backpedal that fast and that creatively…shiiiiiiiittt.

I’ve had the experience of being charmed by someone to the point where I couldn’t see or acknowledge their faults. I know what that’s like. I’m incredibly depressed that someone as vulgar and shallow as Trump has managed to do this to so many people.

He’s a Svengali and has everyone hypnotized.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6991
Joined  15-05-2009

17 July 2018 06:04

In Nov 2015, Julian Assange tweeted to a private Twitter direct message group (Wikileaks’ most loyal supporters on Twitter):

“We believe it would be much better for GOP to win.”
“Dems+Media+liberals woudl (sic) then form a block to reign (sic) in their worst qualities,” 
“With Hillary in charge, GOP will be pushing for her worst qualities., dems+media+neoliberals will be mute.”

Two minutes later he tweeted:
“She’s a bright, well connected, sadistic sociopath.”

I think this highlights key points for many Trump voters.  They hated Clinton.  Unfortunately, Dems+Media+liberals have not been able to rein in Trump’s worst qualities.  But Trump and his supporters continually bring up Clinton to deflect criticism.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Joined  20-07-2017

17 July 2018 08:05

Even in the Helsinki summit press conference.  Though there can be important insights to be gained from examining the past, I’m getting tired of randomly pulled facts from the past; too often it just seems like throwing up a distraction.

Am I hearing this right @32:00 or so:  Putin basically said “yes, my government conducted operations to influence the 2016 election”?
https://youtu.be/cwxqOoIyWm0

[ Edited: 17 July 2018 08:20 by mapadofu]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9213
Joined  20-10-2006

17 July 2018 09:02

I did not watch the press conference, but from what I gather, Trump simply rehashed his innocence of charges of Russian collusion, with the difference that he stood next to the Russian president when he declared his innocence.  Trump has consistently attacked anyone who accused him of Russian collusion, and the press conference was another example, but I see Trump’s behavior as self-preservation first, and country a very distant fourth, or maybe seventh.

Recrimination and deflection are Trump’s primary weapons, and the press conference was no different, nor was it the first time he blamed intelligence agencies for bias against him, so this should not be surprising.  Nor should it be a surprise that Trump makes unsupported assertions and expects them to be taken as gospel, and his supporters do take them as gospel while the GOP gives silent consent.

https://politics.theonion.com/gop-leaders-move-goalposts-on-opposing-trump-to-him-bei-1827640709

WASHINGTON—Promising citizens that they would finally take action if the President crossed this new red line, GOP leaders announced Monday that they were moving their goalposts for opposing Trump to him being filmed masturbating on an American flag in Arlington National Cemetery. “After today’s attack on U.S. intelligence agencies, we have officially moved our line in the sand to President Trump being caught on video, vigorously pleasuring himself to completion amid the graves of fallen U.S. soldiers,” said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. . .

[ Edited: 17 July 2018 09:04 by Skipshot]

sojourner

sojourner
Total Posts:  5970
Joined  09-11-2012

17 July 2018 11:39

Skipshot - 17 July 2018 09:02 AM

I did not watch the press conference, but from what I gather, Trump simply rehashed his innocence of charges of Russian collusion, with the difference that he stood next to the Russian president when he declared his innocence.

What he denied was any attempt at election meddling at all such as well documented attempts to break into voter registries. So saying he believes Putin over those who protect the national security of the US. He also praised Putin for Russia’s offer to help investigate the meddling.

Even the Fox News reporter who interviewed Putin afterwards literally gave Putin a report detailing the meddling.

uuatuu

uuatuu
Total Posts:  10
Joined  14-07-2018

17 July 2018 12:50

Brick Bungalow - 16 July 2018 10:49 PM

OMG! Trumpers now are so similar to putinists in Russia. When a putinist tries to rationalise some new erratic thing Putin just did he thinks in exactly the same way. Putin’s critics even invented a mockery - (I tried to type in cyrillic here but failed) - meaning ‘Putin’s tricky plan’. Now it’s time for Trump’s Tricky Plans or TTPs!

What could Putin have on Trump? Trump is such a shameful person I doubt that even the apperance of that golden shower video would do him much damage.
So a better question would be, what could possibly damage a person like Trump?

mapadofu

mapadofu
Joined  20-07-2017

17 July 2018 13:14

A possibility I don’t hear out there is that maybe it’s not (just) The Donald himself, it’s one or more of his children.  I’m thinking some serious legal jeopardy.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9213
Joined  20-10-2006

17 July 2018 13:16

uuatuu - 17 July 2018 12:50 PM

What could Putin have on Trump? Trump is such a shameful person I doubt that even the apperance of that golden shower video would do him much damage.
So a better question would be, what could possibly damage a person like Trump?

Nothing Trump can do will turn Fox News or the Republicans away from him, for doing so would be an admittance of being wrong about something/anything.  Shit, there are still Nazis among us which they refuse to condemn, which is a good indication that for some people too far is not far enough.

uuatuu

uuatuu
Total Posts:  10
Joined  14-07-2018

17 July 2018 13:25

And… did McConnell really said what he said in the quote above? Wasn’t he one of the (reluctant) enablers?

1 2 >