The Golden Rule, Good Samaritans, Nice People

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2704
Joined  21-10-2016

30 July 2018 06:01

It often seems that we are living in a time of increased divisiveness and there are frequent news reports showing violent conflicts between people for numerous reasons.  But I think it would do us all well to remember that most people are good most of the time, and that in general, people come together to help each other when things get bad.  It’s not usually dramatic or newsworthy, but happens every day and all the time.

Recent discussions on another thread about taxi drivers brought to my mind a quite different experience:

Not too long ago the weather was bad so I called a taxi to go to work.  As I saw the taxi approaching my house, I started down my walkway.  I slipped on black ice, my feet went forward out from under me, and I fell backwards with my head hitting the pavement hard.  I think I was knocked out for a few seconds and was dazed and seeing stars.  The taxi driver, and a woman who had been driving by and saw me fall, came and helped me get up and put me in the back of the taxi.  I told the driver my work address, but he insisted on taking me to the ER.  Although I didn’t think that was necessary, I was still feeling a bit foggy and confused, so I didn’t resist.  When we arrived at the ER, this little man about a foot shorter than me, had me take his arm as he led me into the triage area.  And then he refused to let me pay him for the taxi ride.  I’m quite sure this man would help anyone he could who was in need.  I was left with a bruised shoulder, a goose egg on my head, a minor concussion, and warm feelings for this kindly man.

Do you have a ‘feel good story’ you can share to make us all feel good about our fellow humans?

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20857
Joined  11-03-2007

30 July 2018 08:13

The biggest feel-good stories down here are when natural disasters strike.  Neighbors really do help neighbors cope with tragedy. The Houston flood was a prime example - people out in boats rescuing others, etc. I see Good Samaritans all the time on the road - stopping to help people who are having car problems, etc.  You are right - most people have empathy and compassion, and do something if they can. Thanks for helping us refocus.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

31 July 2018 15:12

So, only one (very nice) response to my OP.  Hmm ... I can only conclude that everyone else around here is a cynic or in a bad mood.  And I was kinda looking forward to some uplifting anecdotes which I surmise we all could use.  Oh well, go back to what you were doing ...

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3579
Joined  20-11-2013

31 July 2018 16:44

I pick up hitchhikers at every opportunity.  I’ve never had a problem, and every one of them has been grateful.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

31 July 2018 17:25

bbearren - 31 July 2018 04:44 PM

I pick up hitchhikers at every opportunity.  I’ve never had a problem, and every one of them has been grateful.

That’s nice of you, but seems a little risky, even for a man.  I don’t think I would be brave enough to pick up a stranger unless they were in some kind of distress or difficulty.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3579
Joined  20-11-2013

31 July 2018 19:03

Jan_CAN - 31 July 2018 05:25 PM

That’s nice of you, but seems a little risky, even for a man.  I don’t think I would be brave enough to pick up a stranger unless they were in some kind of distress or difficulty.

This part of central Florida is primarily small towns, 8 to 15 or so miles apart.  I’ve never felt at risk, but neither am I advising it for everyone.  Every occasion that I have picked up a hitchhiker has resulted in a quite interesting experience.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20857
Joined  11-03-2007

01 August 2018 05:35

bbearren - 31 July 2018 07:03 PM
Jan_CAN - 31 July 2018 05:25 PM

This part of central Florida is primarily small towns, 8 to 15 or so miles apart.  I’ve never felt at risk, but neither am I advising it for everyone.  Every occasion that I have picked up a hitchhiker has resulted in a quite interesting experience.

I picked up a true hobo couple with a dog once - they often traveled by jumping on trains,.  Interesting.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1391
Joined  31-10-2015

01 August 2018 11:54

Jan_CAN - 31 July 2018 03:12 PM

So, only one (very nice) response to my OP.  Hmm ... I can only conclude that everyone else around here is a cynic or in a bad mood.  And I was kinda looking forward to some uplifting anecdotes which I surmise we all could use.  Oh well, go back to what you were doing ...

Kindness and generosity are default attitudes in most communities, I suspect. “Goodness” is so common yet important, that anything seeming to thwart positive behavior attracts attention far more readily than kindness does. In this sense, I’m glad the world is chock-full of reports that attempt to shine light on and root out all manner of horrific goings-on, as negative reports amount to our salvation.

On the other hand, you gotta see this photo of a fawn snuggling up to a brilliantly smiling CHP cop:
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/8586997-181/california-highway-patrol-officer-rescues

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

01 August 2018 12:27

nonverbal - 01 August 2018 11:54 AM

Kindness and generosity are default attitudes in most communities, I suspect. “Goodness” is so common yet important, that anything seeming to thwart positive behavior attracts attention far more readily than kindness does. In this sense, I’m glad the world is chock-full of reports that attempt to shine light on and root out all manner of horrific goings-on, as negative reports amount to our salvation.

On the other hand, you gotta see this photo of a fawn snuggling up to a brilliantly smiling CHP cop:
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/8586997-181/california-highway-patrol-officer-rescues

I agree that kindness and generosity are the defaults, but sometimes feel the need to remind ourselves that this is the case.  (Perhaps in my recent retirement I’ve been watching too much news, an overload of “horrific goings-on”.)

Thanks for the heartwarming article; we musn’t forget our four-legged friends in all this.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

01 August 2018 12:32

Yes, it’s easy these days to forget how kind in spirit most people are, at least most of the time. I used to worry almost exclusively about man-made nastiness, but now it’s mostly only wildfires that occupy my worry centers! (I live in northern CA.)

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  01-11-2014

01 August 2018 14:09

I had an encounter of the Road Rage kind about a year and a half ago. Some bystanders possibly saved my life.

Here’s what happened:

I was on my lunch break and was driving to a little park about 2 blocks from where I was working. I only had a half hour break and to walk to the park would have taken too long.

I drove through an alley which stopped at a major street. I wanted to turn right. The light was red, so traffic was not moving. A car was approaching fast but was far enough away that I went ahead and pulled into the lane. The approaching car stopped close behind me and the driver began honking his horn furiously. I looked in my mirror and he was giving me the one-fingered salute with gusto. He didn’t let up with the horn, even after the light changed and traffic began to move.

We went another block and he still hadn’t let up on the horn. We stopped at another red light. By now my testosterone was up and I made a mistake — I got out of my car. It must have been exactly what he was waiting for. He was out of his car in a flash and was holding in this right hand a truncheon of some kind. He got up close to me and gave me a couple of shoves. We wound up in front of my car. Now mind you, the light was still red and there were cars with witnesses all around us. It didn’t matter to Psycho Man.

He said something angrily about me having cut him off. I replied by saying that I couldn’t have cut him off since we weren’t even moving.

I’m not sure what would have happened next if two guys who were standing at a bus stop next to us hadn’t intervened. They were older guys, with grey hair, beards, pony tails, dressed in jeans and tee shirts. For some reason I got the feeling they were Vietnam vets. Anyway, they got between us and defused the situation.

I turned towards Psycho Man, and I saw an amazing transformation take place; I saw the demon that had been possessing him leave his body completely. I watched his rage-filled face suddenly go slack and calm. His eyes became utterly blank, like dead fish eyes. It was like no one was home behind those eyes.

I was shaking and breathing hard, but I looked at him and said something like, “Look man, you’ve got a serious problem. This kind of anger just isn’t right. I don’t know what’s going on with you, but you need some help. You need to get over this.”

I think he might have nodded, but I’m not sure. He was a totally different man when he got back into his car.

The light had changed. I thanked my good Samaritans, got back in my car and had an uneasy, nervous lunch break.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

01 August 2018 14:49

CC, thanks for sharing your interesting story.  It sounds like your Good Samaritans not only saved you, but also psycho man from doing something he would regret.  Perhaps he frightened himself at how close he came to doing you harm and may try harder to control himself in future (just a thought).

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

01 August 2018 14:52

nonverbal - 01 August 2018 12:32 PM

Yes, it’s easy these days to forget how kind in spirit most people are, at least most of the time. I used to worry almost exclusively about man-made nastiness, but now it’s mostly only wildfires that occupy my worry centers! (I live in northern CA.)

Oh no, I hope the fires aren’t very close to you.  I’ve seen news reports showing how horribly extensive they are.  Please keep us posted regarding your situation if there are changes.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

01 August 2018 18:05

Jan_CAN - 01 August 2018 02:52 PM
nonverbal - 01 August 2018 12:32 PM

Oh no, I hope the fires aren’t very close to you.  I’ve seen news reports showing how horribly extensive they are.  Please keep us posted regarding your situation if there are changes.

Thanks, Jan. The fires remain off in the distance, though not very far.  At least this guy is apparently locked up now—I remember talking to him a few years ago as he explained to me how flammable the eucalyptus trees that tower over my house are. “I could just light a single match, then . . .”  I was exceptionally polite to him!
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/8504273-181/suspected-serial-arsonist-charged-in

[ Edited: 01 August 2018 18:09 by nonverbal]