< 1 2

The Pope Condemns the Death Penalty

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21959
Joined  11-03-2007

03 August 2018 11:42

Cheshire Cat - 03 August 2018 10:12 AM

There’s an even more compelling reason for the abolishment of the death penalty which is that innocent people can be killed and probably have been.

From Amnesty International:

Since 1973, 151 people have been released from death rows throughout the country due to evidence of their wrongful convictions. In 2003 alone, 10 wrongfully convicted defendants were released from death row.

I would rather have a thousand guilty men live in prison for the rest of their lives than have one innocent man executed by the state.

That is part of the abuse of which I am speaking. The State never administers the death penalty fairly, in the long run.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17957
Joined  15-02-2008

03 August 2018 16:04

Skipshot - 03 August 2018 09:27 AM
GAD - 03 August 2018 08:12 AM
Skipshot - 03 August 2018 08:06 AM

I’m against the death penalty for how it appeals to humanity’s cruelty and desire for vengeance by calling it justice, and then for how it is then abused.

Neither are necessary nor any worse then a shitty life in prison for the same reasons, the only difference is how you feel about it.

What is your proposal instead of death or imprisonment?

Death is fine with me, just without all the drama, while they are sleeping gas the cell with nitrous and CO2 so they never wake up from their dream.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

03 August 2018 16:13

I would rather have a thousand guilty men live in prison for the rest of their lives than have one innocent man executed by the state.

This is the kind of absurdity that makes people look so stupid. A 1000 lives suffering in hellish prisons vs one person dying. You know what those 1000 feel, every bit of their suffering, you know what the dead feel, nothing, they don’t even know they are dead. This has nothing to do with the dead, it’s about the living trying to get that feel good self-righteous high they need so desperately to feel good about themselves.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1406
Joined  01-11-2014

03 August 2018 17:13

GAD - 03 August 2018 04:13 PM

This is the kind of absurdity that makes people look so stupid. A 1000 lives suffering in hellish prisons vs one person dying. You know what those 1000 feel, every bit of their suffering, you know what the dead feel, nothing, they don’t even know they are dead. This has nothing to do with the dead, it’s about the living trying to get that feel good self-righteous high they need so desperately to feel good about themselves.

No.
It’s about justice and the sanctity of life.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

03 August 2018 17:17

Cheshire Cat - 03 August 2018 05:13 PM

No.

A 1000 lifetimes of suffering vs one life is justice for whom? And even the gods laugh at your sanctity of life.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6451
Joined  31-01-2012

04 August 2018 09:34

Good on him, but call me when he condemns ghosts and zombies.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1406
Joined  01-11-2014

04 August 2018 15:36

GAD - 03 August 2018 05:17 PM
Cheshire Cat - 03 August 2018 05:13 PM

No.

A 1000 lifetimes of suffering vs one life is justice for whom? And even the gods laugh at your sanctity of life.

The one innocent man on death row always has the possibility that proof of his innocence will be found. In fact, that’s what an organization called the Innocence Project does; they look over cases and use DNA evidence that didn’t exist at the time of a person’s conviction, to overturn that conviction. The innocent man has a very real possibility of being released from death row. Ask one of them if it was worthwhile that they lived long enough to be set free. I’ll bet the answer would be a definite “yes.”

As far as the ones who are guilty and suffering their long lives in prison goes, well, them’s the breaks. They murdered people, so tough luck Bucko.

And suffering is a relative thing. I remember watching that movie “Midnight Express” which was about the true story of an American drug smuggler who got caught and was thrown into a Turkish prison. At one point he is doing exercises and chanting: “Prison. Cloister. Monastery.” Like anything, time in prison would be what you make of it.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9804
Joined  20-10-2006

04 August 2018 16:32

How about this compromise?  Give the convicted life in prison with the option of suicide at any time during imprisonment.  This way the prisoner gets to choose a life of suffering or not, and the state is clear of killing someone to show that killing someone is wrong.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

05 August 2018 08:56

Skipshot - 04 August 2018 04:32 PM

How about this compromise?  Give the convicted life in prison with the option of suicide at any time during imprisonment.  This way the prisoner gets to choose a life of suffering or not, and the state is clear of killing someone to show that killing someone is wrong.

Should always have been an option in my view. But for that ones that don’t want to go how about they get to live if people donate money to pay for them to live. Now if you feel bad for them you can pay for them and leave me out of it.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9804
Joined  20-10-2006

05 August 2018 10:16

GAD - 05 August 2018 08:56 AM

Should always have been an option in my view. But for that ones that don’t want to go how about they get to live if people donate money to pay for them to live. Now if you feel bad for them you can pay for them and leave me out of it.

A proposal to increase the suffering of imprisonment to save you money?  That may attract a fight on constitutional grounds of cruel and unusual punishment. 

Besides, your argument for execution is that a lifetime of suffering is worse, which implies you prefer to lessen the prisoners’ suffering with death, which also implies the suffering of imprisonment is already high enough to make prisoners desire death.  This means that you would rather prisoners suffer less, not more.  My proposal neither increases nor decreases the suffering, and gives the option of suicide.

You are also assuming that convictions are just and accurate, when there is plenty of evidence they are not, so increasing the suffering of an imprisoned innocent man to encourage him to kill himself is pretty fucking heartless.  How about dialing it down a notch?

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

05 August 2018 10:21

Skipshot - 05 August 2018 10:16 AM
GAD - 05 August 2018 08:56 AM

A proposal to increase the suffering of imprisonment to save you money?  That may attract a fight on constitutional grounds of cruel and unusual punishment. 

Besides, your argument for execution is that a lifetime of suffering is worse, which implies you prefer to lessen the prisoners’ suffering with death, which also implies the suffering of imprisonment is already high enough to make prisoners desire death.  This means that you would rather prisoners suffer less, not more.  My proposal neither increases nor decreases the suffering, and gives the option of suicide.

You are also assuming that convictions are just and accurate, when there is plenty of evidence they are not, so increasing the suffering of an imprisoned innocent man to encourage him to kill himself is pretty fucking heartless.  How about dialing it down a notch?

No idea what you are going on about there, your rant isn’t inline with anything I said.

< 1 2