Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2310
Joined  21-10-2016

03 August 2018 10:03

Below is my reading list so far:

Symposium, Plato

Philosophy Made Simple, A. Stroll & R.H. Popkin

Ancient Philosophy:  A Very Short Introduction, Oxford University Press Series (Julia Annas)

Think:  A Compelling Introduction to Philosophy, Simon Blackburn
Truth:  A Guide, Simon Blackburn
Being Good:  A Short Introduction to Ethics, Simon Blackburn

A History of Western Philosophy, Bertrand Russell

Thanks again to all (and I’m still open for any additional recommendations).

[ Edited: 03 August 2018 11:38 by Jan_CAN]

ubique13

ubique13
Total Posts:  800
Joined  10-03-2017

03 August 2018 14:58

Jan_CAN - 02 August 2018 06:05 PM

I’ve read a lot of posts here that discuss philosophy and the ancient philosophers, which has piqued my interest to know more.  I’ve read a fair amount on certain topics of interest, but I wouldn’t know where to start with philosophy.

At this time I’d prefer to self-educate by reading rather than taking courses.  Is this a realistic option, or would someone with only a high school education need to take courses in order to properly interpret philosophy?  It seems that this might be the case, but don’t know.

I’m just looking to develop a general understanding and basic knowledge.  Where would I start?  Is there a certain order or sequence in which philosophers should be read?  Are there particular texts that outline or explain the basic principles?  (I tried searching online, but there are so many introductory philosophy books available that it’s difficult to know which would be best.)

Any guidance would be appreciated.  Thanks.

‘Nausea’, ‘Existentialism Is a Humanism’, ‘No Exit and Three Other Plays’ by Jean-Paul Sartre

‘The Second Sex’, ‘The Ethics of Ambiguity’ by Simone de Beauvoir

‘The Stranger’, ‘The Rebel’, ‘The Myth of Sisyphus’ by Albert Camus

The notion that the study of Philosophy must be undertaken in some predetermined order is absurd. Fortunately, the post-War French Existentialist movement produced remarkably accessible works written by individuals who are very conveniently ignored by some of the more public personas in our “post-modern” time (it’s funny because time is only ever modern).

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

03 August 2018 15:47

ubique13 - 03 August 2018 02:58 PM

I’ve read a lot of posts here that discuss philosophy and the ancient philosophers, which has piqued my interest to know more.  I’ve read a fair amount on certain topics of interest, but I wouldn’t know where to start with philosophy.

At this time I’d prefer to self-educate by reading rather than taking courses.  Is this a realistic option, or would someone with only a high school education need to take courses in order to properly interpret philosophy?  It seems that this might be the case, but don’t know.

I’m just looking to develop a general understanding and basic knowledge.  Where would I start?  Is there a certain order or sequence in which philosophers should be read?  Are there particular texts that outline or explain the basic principles?  (I tried searching online, but there are so many introductory philosophy books available that it’s difficult to know which would be best.)

‘Nausea’, ‘Existentialism Is a Humanism’, ‘No Exit and Three Other Plays’ by Jean-Paul Sartre

The notion that the study of Philosophy must be undertaken in some predetermined order is absurd. Fortunately, the post-War French Existentialist movement produced remarkably accessible works written by individuals who are very conveniently ignored by some of the more public personas in our “post-modern” time (it’s funny because time is only ever modern).

Thank you for the recommendations.

(I didn’t think my question about a certain order or sequence was absurd – I just thought it might be a factor; in certain fields, one needs to learn the basics first and there can be vocabulary/terminology that must be learned.)

[ Edited: 03 August 2018 16:01 by Jan_CAN]

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20431
Joined  11-03-2007

03 August 2018 16:30

Jan_CAN - 03 August 2018 03:47 PM
ubique13 - 03 August 2018 02:58 PM

Thank you for the recommendations.

(I didn’t think my question about a certain order or sequence was absurd – I just thought it might be a factor; in certain fields, one needs to learn the basics first and there can be vocabulary/terminology that must be learned.)

Philosophically, what isn’t absurd? Watch out for those Existentialists!

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

03 August 2018 16:47

EN - 03 August 2018 04:30 PM

You may not (or may) realize just how ‘dumb’ I am about all this stuff.  I only vaguely know what an “Existentialist” is – so I just now wikied it, and lo and behold:

In the view of the existentialist, the individual’s starting point is characterized by what has been called “the existential attitude”, or a sense of disorientation, confusion, or dread in the face of an apparently meaningless or absurd world.

So yes, I’ll be heeding your advice.

ubique13

ubique13
Joined  10-03-2017

03 August 2018 18:35

Jan_CAN - 03 August 2018 04:47 PM
EN - 03 August 2018 04:30 PM

You may not (or may) realize just how ‘dumb’ I am about all this stuff.  I only vaguely know what an “Existentialist” is – so I just now wikied it, and lo and behold:

In the view of the existentialist, the individual’s starting point is characterized by what has been called “the existential attitude”, or a sense of disorientation, confusion, or dread in the face of an apparently meaningless or absurd world.

So yes, I’ll be heeding your advice.

I fear I may have been exposed by EN. J’accuse!

Nevertheless, there is a certain absurdity to most purported philosophical ‘debates’. At the heart of every ‘logical’ epistemology is the same inexorable structure.

“We have discovered happiness, we know the way, we have found the exit out of the labyrinth of thousands of years. Who else has found it? Modern man perhaps? ‘I have got lost; I am everything that has got lost,’ sighs modern man. This modernity was our sickness: lazy peace, cowardly compromise, the whole virtuous uncleanliness of the modern Yes and No.” -Friedrich Nietzsche

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

12 August 2018 17:28

It turns out that numerous books on philosophy can be had for the bargain price of $127.35.  Much cheaper than the latest best sellers it turns out.  (I’d intended to use the public library more, but decided I might like to own these books instead.)  So the Indigo order has been submitted, and thanks to your book suggestions, I’ll be as clever as anything in no time at all (or I may form, as GAD says, “an opinion of someone else’s opinion on subjects that have no answers”).

ubique13

ubique13
Joined  10-03-2017

12 August 2018 17:52

Jan_CAN - 12 August 2018 05:28 PM

It turns out that numerous books on philosophy can be had for the bargain price of $127.35.  Much cheaper than the latest best sellers it turns out.  (I’d intended to use the public library more, but decided I might like to own these books instead.)  So the Indigo order has been submitted, and thanks to your book suggestions, I’ll be as clever as anything in no time at all (or I may form, as GAD says, “an opinion of someone else’s opinion on subjects that have no answers”).

Incidentally, as time clearly demonstrates ad absurdum, this Philosophy stuff is not nearly as convoluted as the Phenomonologists would have us believe. One might almost think that a philosopher is the sort of individual who would cease to exist upon self-identifying.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

12 August 2018 18:00

ubique13 - 12 August 2018 05:52 PM

Incidentally, as time clearly demonstrates ad absurdum, this Philosophy stuff is not nearly as convoluted as the Phenomonologists would have us believe. One might almost think that a philosopher is the sort of individual who would cease to exist upon self-identifying.

Perhaps after I’ve done some reading I’ll understand what you just said.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16436
Joined  15-02-2008

12 August 2018 18:42

Good luck! Will be interesting to see what you come out of the cave with.

ubique13

ubique13
Joined  10-03-2017

13 August 2018 07:51

GAD - 12 August 2018 06:42 PM

What would ever lead you to the conclusion that any of us have left the cave at all? I see nothing but shadows.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

13 August 2018 08:02

ubique13 - 13 August 2018 07:51 AM
GAD - 12 August 2018 06:42 PM

What would ever lead you to the conclusion that any of us have left the cave at all? I see nothing but shadows.

Typical philosopher smile

ubique13

ubique13
Joined  10-03-2017

13 August 2018 11:56

GAD - 13 August 2018 08:02 AM

Typical philosopher smile

I’m just surfing the particulate waves, man. Wavy gravity, baby.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

19 August 2018 13:27

GAD - 03 August 2018 08:53 AM

If you have a lot of time to kill

https://www.amazon.com/History-Western-Philosophy-Bertrand-Russell/dp/0671201581

Well, this was the first book of my order to arrive ... and you weren’t kidding, GAD – 895 pages!

I’m only up to page 60; thankfully it’s not difficult reading.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

19 August 2018 15:34

Jan_CAN - 19 August 2018 01:27 PM
GAD - 03 August 2018 08:53 AM

If you have a lot of time to kill

https://www.amazon.com/History-Western-Philosophy-Bertrand-Russell/dp/0671201581

Well, this was the first book of my order to arrive ... and you weren’t kidding, GAD – 895 pages!

I’m only up to page 60; thankfully it’s not difficult reading.

Yea, philosophers like to talk so there is a lot of history. It’s like the bible, only interesting and it makes sense. Took me 6mos to finish.

< 1 2 3 >