[Audio Restoration Release] Sam Harris - How to talk to a Christian

islanq

islanq
Total Posts:  2
Joined  28-12-2017

03 August 2018 13:36

Hello Forum,

Long time lurker, fist time poster. I’ll start off by saying this clip of audio, although barely eight minutes in length, is one of the most powerful and damning sequences of noises formed in human language against religion.

Phase 1: A young skeptic

Like most Americans, I was brought up in a Catholic / Christian household (my mother being Catholic and father being Christian). Although I was baptized by the church, this would account for one of maybe 15 - 20 times I’ve been to church in my entire life. Around the time I was 12 I remember telling my mother I didn’t believe in god any more. She cried and told me the usual, “god works in mysteries ways” or that “temptation comes in many forms to lure you away.” etc… We never explicitly touched on the subject again but I think from then on she knew I had made up my mind.

Phase 2: A young conformist

In school, I can remember receiving surveys that were provided to the students to identify their traits. Name, both first and last, city of residence, height, weight, eye color, race, and religion. Of course, there were the big three listed as well as a box that said, “other.” However, I always checked, “Christian.” I could remember two Jehovah’s Witness children in particular telling the teacher how they would not stand up for the pledge of allegiance because it was, “putting their country before their god.” Everyone looked at them differently which I wanted no part of. At this time, I checked Christian.

Phase 3: Revelation

If there was even the slightest inkling of faith left it me it was completely exterminated at age 15. This is when I was notified my best friend, someone who I had grown up with, someone I had had countless sleepovers playing video games, watching movies, and sneaking out with, had murdered his mother. In what would later be described by news outlets as a drug fueled homicide - my friend killed his mother with a knife. After reducing her body into more manageable pieces, he moved her to the bath tub and placed a bible on her chest. She was after all, very religious.

Of course there was wide speculation and accusation of, “Satan worship,” or “demonic possession,” due to the bizarre religious undertones in the murder. It was later revealed during trial that while taking psychoactive drugs he was convinced that, “My mother was a demon, and god told me I must stop her.” This only further stoked people’s enthusiasm of a supernatural explanation.

The truth is - he was always a little off but kind. He wasn’t Charley Manson or a devil worshipper. He was a 15 year old boy without a father. A boy who held deep resentment toward his mother who he perceived to be the primary cause of this loss. Combined with drugs and an unstable mind did the unthinkable. I’m not trying to make a case that religion is the cause of this tragedy. However, it made me think of all the dynamics that might have played differently without it. This was surely the straw that did the breaking - religion was truly in the rear view for me.

Conclusion & Audio:
As you can see outlined above there were different stages for me. Stage three was obviously a world altering / life changing experience that really made me ask myself some hard questions. However, I can’t help but wonder how many people around me are still in stage 2. People who are in Christian limbo, stuck in a state between belief and reality. Stuck still checking Christian because they feel like, “it makes me accepted as a good person” or because, “I don’t want to be singled out as different,” etc…

This audio is Sam’s finest work. This is the moment Sam introduces the skepticism I felt in stage 1. He explains the problems with religious conformity and dogmatism I was complicit in - in stage 2. He unleashes the devastating feelings of tragedy I experienced in stage 3. To anyone who is on the fence about religion (maybe maybe even some who aren’t) this will be the straw placed on the camel back. This is a flawless victory in Mortal Kombat, John Wick laying waste to all in his path, Michael Jordan during the reign of the 90’s, Zerg rush, a Neo exiting the Matrix kind of moment.

Audio Restoration Work:
- Removed background humming
- Removed various audience noises (coughing, laughing during jokes, etc..)
- Removed various unpleasant ambient noise
- Softened hard Ps, Ts, Ss, and Ds in due to poor microphone.
- Reduced the perceived reverb / echo while maintaining the integrity of actual dialog
- Applied audio normalization to decrease perceived distortion (too loud / soft) and correct audio “clipping”
- Softened all frequencies during speech start and stop while maintaining integrity
- Applied true silence to the background during non speaking sections. (ie. removing all random static and electronic noise)

This was all done by hand (with the exception of background humming which was removed using an noise profile created from samples of the noise in the audio) over the course of two days. I hope everyone enjoys and shares with friends, family, or to be used in videos or podcasts.

FLAC Audio: Sam Harris - How to talk to a Christian | FLAC @ 32MB
AAC (Apple Itunes): Sam Harris - How to talk to a Christian | M4A (AAC) @ 6MB
MP3 Audio: Sam Harris - How to talk to a Christian | MP3 @ 7MB

Original Source Audio: Sam Harris - How to talk to a Christian | MP3 @ 14MB

[ Edited: 03 August 2018 13:47 by islanq]

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6055
Joined  22-02-2005

05 August 2018 20:24

It sounds clean and tidy.

We recommend using this clip or other similar clips in part or in full for your answer machine message or voicemail greeting.

islanq

islanq
Total Posts:  2
Joined  28-12-2017

06 August 2018 23:42

Nhoj Morley - 05 August 2018 08:24 PM

It sounds clean and tidy.

We recommend using this clip or other similar clips in part or in full for your answer machine message or voicemail greeting.

Thanks @Nhoj Morley - If you have access to notify Sam’s web admin (or anyone who handles his podcast) please let them know that this is can replace the current one in the podcast stream. It’s one of the 3 loose ones that have no index # in the podcast series.

Thanks! smile