1 2 3 >  Last ›

Multiculturalism

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2704
Joined  21-10-2016

05 August 2018 04:33

Multiculturalism:

Oxford Dic.:  The presence of, or support for the presence of, several distinct cultural or ethnic groups within a society.

Collins Dic.:  Multiculturalism is a situation in which all the different cultural or racial groups in a society have equal rights and opportunities, and none is ignored or regarded as unimportant.

Dictionary.com:  The preservation of different cultures or cultural identities within a unified society, as a state or nation.

Encyclopaedia Brittanica:  The view that cultures, races, and ethnicities, particularly those of minority groups, deserve special acknowledgement of their differences within a dominant political culture.

This is what it looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiEYZjNrEHw
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-caribbean-carnival-grand-parade-1.4774456

“It’s a natural mix of everybody coming together…. You’ve got everybody. You see every flag from every country and everybody can get along,” she said. “You’re happy, you’re drinking, you’re dancing. At the end of it, you’ve had a good time. It’s the best thing.”

[ Edited: 05 August 2018 06:59 by Jan_CAN]

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15216
Joined  17-12-2006

05 August 2018 07:37

Jan_CAN - 05 August 2018 04:33 AM

Multiculturalism:

Oxford Dic.:  The presence of, or support for the presence of, several distinct cultural or ethnic groups within a society.

Collins Dic.:  Multiculturalism is a situation in which all the different cultural or racial groups in a society have equal rights and opportunities, and none is ignored or regarded as unimportant.

Dictionary.com:  The preservation of different cultures or cultural identities within a unified society, as a state or nation.

Encyclopaedia Brittanica:  The view that cultures, races, and ethnicities, particularly those of minority groups, deserve special acknowledgement of their differences within a dominant political culture.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-caribbean-carnival-grand-parade-1.4774456

“It’s a natural mix of everybody coming together…. You’ve got everybody. You see every flag from every country and everybody can get along,” she said. “You’re happy, you’re drinking, you’re dancing. At the end of it, you’ve had a good time. It’s the best thing.”

And you get to celebrate everybody’s holidays.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3042
Joined  26-03-2013

05 August 2018 08:13

I don’t wanna overstate this but…Caribana is one of the greatest parties ever in the history of everything.

Celal

Celal
Total Posts:  3114
Joined  07-08-2011

05 August 2018 08:15

Of course, in terms of food, fashion, music, art, and architecture, the Western “culture”  is enriched from other cultures. We get to see and enjoy it around the country during the festivals.However, there can be no rational defense romancing any culture in the abstract that millions have rejected in the concrete to cross the Mediterranean to Europe or the Rio Grande to the United States. Period. 

Because they come for something much more fundamental - not the arts, not the music, not the food or fashions -  rather free-market capitalism, the freedom of the individual, religious tolerance, equality between the sexes, right of dissent without fear of retribution, etc.

That is why Multiculturalism as romanced by the left is a failed concept.  The notion of a multiracial society united by a single culture is far more logical.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

05 August 2018 08:32

LadyJane - 05 August 2018 08:13 AM

I don’t wanna overstate this but…Caribana is one of the greatest parties ever in the history of everything.

Yeah ... it cannot be overstated!

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

05 August 2018 08:33

burt - 05 August 2018 07:37 AM
Jan_CAN - 05 August 2018 04:33 AM

Multiculturalism:

And you get to celebrate everybody’s holidays.

Exactly!

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

05 August 2018 08:34

Celal - 05 August 2018 08:15 AM

Of course, in terms of food, fashion, music, art, and architecture, the Western “culture”  is enriched from other cultures. We get to see and enjoy it around the country during the festivals.However, there can be no rational defense romancing any culture in the abstract that millions have rejected in the concrete to cross the Mediterranean to Europe or the Rio Grande to the United States. Period. 

Because they come for something much more fundamental - not the arts, not the music, not the food or fashions -  rather free-market capitalism, the freedom of the individual, religious tolerance, equality between the sexes, right of dissent without fear of retribution, etc.

That is why Multiculturalism as romanced by the left is a failed concept.  The notion of a multiracial society united by a single culture is far more logical.

Lighten up, Celal ... it’s only failed in your mind.  I think it would’ve done you a lot of good to have come to the parade.

Celal

Celal
Total Posts:  3114
Joined  07-08-2011

05 August 2018 09:01

Let me spell it out for you so that you can follow the paradox of your Multicultural argument. You can call a friend (Burt) for a lifeline.  I’m sure he will be no help.

If the immigrant from Oaxaca, Mexico can recreate Oaxaca in Toronto, or the Afghani second-generation Canadian can carve out Sharia in the London, Ontario or a suburb of Detroit is to be like in one in Damascus,Syria then would there be any reason to flee to Toronto, London, or Detroit?  That is a real question.

If the Western hosts accede to multiculturalism without assimilation then West will be no longer a uniquely desirable refuge for its present legions of schizophrenic admiring critics.  Making the new homeland into something no one would find different than what he fled is a prescription for Western cultural suicide. Neither good for the host country nor the newly arrived immigrants. This is not about parades or festivals which I have already acknowledged make us richer.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17005
Joined  15-02-2008

05 August 2018 09:03

Are all cultures equal or are some better then others?

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15216
Joined  17-12-2006

05 August 2018 09:15

GAD - 05 August 2018 09:03 AM

Trick question. After all, are there objective measures (I happen to think there are)? Or, is any evaluation you make biased already by your own cultural background?

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

05 August 2018 09:26

burt - 05 August 2018 09:15 AM

Trick question. After all, are there objective measures (I happen to think there are)? Or, is any evaluation you make biased already by your own cultural background?

Seems like a trick answer. Objective here is like objective morality. But the reality is that just like morality people believe that theirs is the better/right one.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

05 August 2018 10:01

Celal - 05 August 2018 09:01 AM

Let me spell it out for you so that you can follow the paradox of your Multicultural argument. You can call a friend (Burt) for a lifeline.  I’m sure he will be no help.

If the immigrant from Oaxaca, Mexico can recreate Oaxaca in Toronto, or the Afghani second-generation Canadian can carve out Sharia in the London, Ontario or a suburb of Detroit is to be like in one in Damascus,Syria then would there be any reason to flee to Toronto, London, or Detroit?  That is a real question.

If the Western hosts accede to multiculturalism without assimilation then West will be no longer a uniquely desirable refuge for its present legions of schizophrenic admiring critics.  Making the new homeland into something no one would find different than what he fled is a prescription for Western cultural suicide. Neither good for the host country nor the newly arrived immigrants. This is not about parades or festivals which I have already acknowledged make us richer.

(You did realize that my last post response to you about ‘lightening up’ was said with a smile, didn’t you ... maybe not, as that might explain the condescending suggestion that I would need help from a friend to respond to you.)

Do you fully understand the concept of ‘Multiculturalism’?  Did you read the definitions in the OP?  It isn’t about carving our little sections everywhere, although there will often be cultural neighbourhoods in any large city (just as with the melting pot model).  It does not mean that a society is not united by common values and the laws of the land.  But it accepts and celebrates the good that is in each culture, which enriches the shared culture.

It’s mostly about attitude – accepting differences in others, not expecting people to change everything about themselves, not being ‘offended’ by heavy accents, an open-mindedness to learn from each other, etc.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

05 August 2018 10:08

Yup, Canada’s is better than the U.S.  (That was sort of a joke, sort of ...)
You know, you really could learn from us.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

05 August 2018 10:23

Jan_CAN - 05 August 2018 10:08 AM

No, nope, sorry, the US is much better simply because it’s the one I like and want. See how it works?

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

05 August 2018 10:35

GAD - 05 August 2018 10:23 AM

No, nope, sorry, the US is much better simply because it’s the one I like and want. See how it works?

Ahh, I should have been clearer and said that Canada is better because of multiculturalism.

But, of course I get your point.  My point is that there is at least some good in all cultures and that this can be retained; that complete assimilation need not be the goal.

[ Edited: 05 August 2018 10:40 by Jan_CAN]

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

05 August 2018 11:03

Jan_CAN - 05 August 2018 10:35 AM
GAD - 05 August 2018 10:23 AM

Ahh, I should have been clearer and said that Canada is better because of multiculturalism.

But, of course I get your point.  My point is that there is at least some good in all cultures and that this can be retained; that complete assimilation need not be the goal.

And just like morality that is where all the arguments begin on both sides.

1 2 3 >  Last ›