1 2 > 

Was Jesus a Bully?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  7941
Joined  20-02-2006

10 August 2018 10:17

Was Jesus a Bully?

John 14:6 - Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

https://www.ncab.org.au/bullying-advice/bullying-for-parents/types-of-bullying/

quotes from this site (some lines made bold, that apply to this topic):

“There are many different types of bullying that can be experienced by children and adults alike, some are obvious to spot while others can be more subtle. The different types of bullying that we look at below are some of the ways that bullying could be happening.

Physical bullying
Physical bullying includes hitting, kicking, tripping, pinching and pushing or damaging property. Physical bullying causes both short term and long term damage.

Verbal bullying
Verbal bullying includes name calling, insults, teasing, intimidation, homophobic or racist remarks, or verbal abuse. While verbal bullying can start off harmless, it can escalate to levels which start affecting the individual target. Keep reading in this section for techniques to deal with verbal bullying.

Social bullying
Social bullying, sometimes referred to as covert bullying, is often harder to recognize and can be carried out behind the bullied person’s back. It is designed to harm someone’s social reputation and/or cause humiliation. Social bullying includes:

-  lying and spreading rumors
-  negative facial or physical gestures, menacing or contemptuous looks
-  playing nasty jokes to embarrass and humiliate
-  mimicking unkindly
-  encouraging others to socially exclude someone
-  damaging someone’s social reputation or social acceptance.”
  (end quotes)

Consider, for example, if an atheist or humanist were to run for public office in the U.S.

Other Jesus quotes that fit the definition of bullying, intimidation, property destruction?

Mark 5:13 -  “He gave them permission, and the impure spirits came out and went into the pigs. The herd, about two thousand in number, rushed down the steep bank into the lake and were drowned.”

Were the owners of the 2000 unlucky pigs ever compensated?

Was the owner of the fig tree compensated when Jesus killed it?

Mathew 21:18-19 -  Jesus Curses a Fig Tree
“Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry.  Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered.”

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16725
Joined  15-02-2008

10 August 2018 11:31

Like his daddy (and Manson (any good cult leader really)) he got other people to do his dirty work.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2519
Joined  21-10-2016

10 August 2018 11:39

Was Jesus a bully?

I think I see what you’re getting at (in the OP), and I especially like the part about the unlucky pigs and fig tree, but I don’t think Jesus (the historical man, not the invented deity) was a bully.

I still can’t completely get over my gentle-Christian upbringing, and short-term Jesus-freak/hippyish teen period, where Jesus was love, peace, and champion of the poor and downtrodden.  I’m of the opinion that, in addition to the invention of the supernatural events (virgin birth, miracles, resurrection, etc.), scripture regarding his claims to godhood may also have been ‘embellished’ later by his followers.

So, I think (based on no proof whatsoever) that the historical Jesus wasn’t a bully, but that some of his so-called followers may sometimes behave as bullies.

Chaz

Chaz
Total Posts:  129
Joined  24-02-2018

10 August 2018 12:16

Of course he was! Matthew 13/16 I don’t remember exactly might be chapter 7 he says he’s not here to bring peace but rather a sword and turn father against son LoL I’ve heard people try to spin that to be a good thing but I can spin it to be evil way more easily

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20692
Joined  11-03-2007

10 August 2018 18:46

Of course he wasn’t!  Has he taken away your lunch money? Has he given you an atomic wedgie?  Has he tripped you in the hall and made you drop your books?  Are you a wus?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

11 August 2018 11:31

Jan_CAN - 10 August 2018 11:39 AM

Was Jesus a bully?

I think I see what you’re getting at (in the OP), and I especially like the part about the unlucky pigs and fig tree, but I don’t think Jesus (the historical man, not the invented deity) was a bully.

I still can’t completely get over my gentle-Christian upbringing, and short-term Jesus-freak/hippyish teen period, where Jesus was love, peace, and champion of the poor and downtrodden.  I’m of the opinion that, in addition to the invention of the supernatural events (virgin birth, miracles, resurrection, etc.), scripture regarding his claims to godhood may also have been ‘embellished’ later by his followers.

So, I think (based on no proof whatsoever) that the historical Jesus wasn’t a bully, but that some of his so-called followers may sometimes behave as bullies.

After posting this topic I was contemplating the pigs and wondering what 2000 of them might look like.  I wondered why it took so many to contain just one man’s demons?  Why couldn’t just one pig carry the demons over the cliff and drown them?  Then I had an epiphany.  Considering the foibles of human nature, the repetitive nature of our transgressions even when we know better, one pig is not going to do it.  If we want to really clear things up in our own life and in the world at large, it’s going to take a lot of pigs to contain all the demons.

Probably Jesus and the disciples didn’t really count the pigs, but I bet that the swineherd had a good idea how many there were, and when it came to settling with his insurance company he probably exaggerated the loss.

Insurance agent:  “I see.  And what was the cause of this alleged stampede?” 

If there was a lawsuit involved in this event, the value of the pigs wouldn’t be the end of it.  I forget what town they were near, but if it was Tiberias, for example, think of the water pollution caused by 2000 drowned hogs!  What if you owned a beach resort below that cliff?  What if you were a local fisherman?  Which way was the wind blowing?  Were all the inhabitants in the city closing their windows and asking who was responsible for the stench?

That’s still not the end of it.  Jesus’ own people didn’t eat pork so the pigs were probably being raised for the regional Roman garrison.  Can you imagine all those legionnaires eating oatmeal and yams for several weeks while waiting for a new herd of pigs to arrive?

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

11 August 2018 12:01

unsmoked - 11 August 2018 11:31 AM

After posting this topic I was contemplating the pigs and wondering what 2000 of them might look like.  I wondered why it took so many to contain just one man’s demons?  Why couldn’t just one pig carry the demons over the cliff and drown them?  Then I had an epiphany.  Considering the foibles of human nature, the repetitive nature of our transgressions even when we know better, one pig is not going to do it.  If we want to really clear things up in our own life and in the world at large, it’s going to take a lot of pigs to contain all the demons.

Probably Jesus and the disciples didn’t really count the pigs, but I bet that the swineherd had a good idea how many there were, and when it came to settling with his insurance company he probably exaggerated the loss.

Insurance agent:  “I see.  And what was the cause of this alleged stampede?” 

If there was a lawsuit involved in this event, the value of the pigs wouldn’t be the end of it.  I forget what town they were near, but if it was Tiberias, for example, think of the water pollution caused by 2000 drowned hogs!  What if you owned a beach resort below that cliff?  What if you were a local fisherman?  Which way was the wind blowing?  Were all the inhabitants in the city closing their windows and asking who was responsible for the stench?

That’s still not the end of it.  Jesus’ own people didn’t eat pork so the pigs were probably being raised for the regional Roman garrison.  Can you imagine all those legionnaires eating oatmeal and yams for several weeks while waiting for a new herd of pigs to arrive?

Yes, the foibles of human nature would likely require a lot of pigs.  It does seem rather unfair though that they should suffer on our behalf.  (Although I don’t seem to think about that when I feel like a toasted BLT.)

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

11 August 2018 19:32

EN - 10 August 2018 06:46 PM

Of course he wasn’t!  Has he taken away your lunch money? Has he given you an atomic wedgie?  Has he tripped you in the hall and made you drop your books?  Are you a wus?

Think of all the books Jesus is knocking out of kids hands in the Bible Belt.  Consider the millions of Americans who are growing up without a clue as to how old the Earth is, or how humans evolved, or how over 350,000 species of beetles got onto the Ark.

We have a President and Vice President who couldn’t pass a 3rd grade science quiz.  Hyperbole?

Think of the wus school principals and teachers who know better but are afraid to stand up to fundamentalist bullies.

[ Edited: 11 August 2018 19:35 by unsmoked]

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2534
Joined  19-01-2015

11 August 2018 22:00

Read the Gospel of Thomas: Jesus as a kid turned one of his playmates to stone we he got annoyed with him.
He’s not just a bully, he’s a bully with magic powers.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

12 August 2018 03:59

Twissel - 11 August 2018 10:00 PM

Read the Gospel of Thomas: Jesus as a kid turned one of his playmates to stone we he got annoyed with him.
He’s not just a bully, he’s a bully with magic powers.

Which may be part of the reason why this text isn’t part of the New Testament?

He is also known for stopping the stoning of a prostitute, an accepted practice of the time.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

12 August 2018 06:31

unsmoked - 11 August 2018 07:32 PM

Think of all the books Jesus is knocking out of kids hands in the Bible Belt.  Consider the millions of Americans who are growing up without a clue as to how old the Earth is, or how humans evolved, or how over 350,000 species of beetles got onto the Ark.

We have a President and Vice President who couldn’t pass a 3rd grade science quiz.  Hyperbole?

Think of the wus school principals and teachers who know better but are afraid to stand up to fundamentalist bullies.

Jesus hasn’t been here for 2000 years.  And he didn’t write the Old Testament.  You have a hard time staying on point.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

12 August 2018 11:50

EN - 12 August 2018 06:31 AM

Jesus hasn’t been here for 2000 years.  And he didn’t write the Old Testament.  You have a hard time staying on point.

Jesus’ followers have been here for 2000 years.  Who are Christian fundamentalists talking to if God and Jesus aren’t here?  Who is ‘on the line’ if it’s not God and Jesus?

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1265
Joined  31-10-2015

12 August 2018 12:22

Did he die without being resurrected? Sorry, Bruce—I’d like to understand your opinion about Jesus’ earthly presence.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16725
Joined  15-02-2008

12 August 2018 12:50

unsmoked - 12 August 2018 11:50 AM

Jesus’ followers have been here for 2000 years.  Who are Christian fundamentalists talking to if God and Jesus aren’t here?  Who is ‘on the line’ if it’s not God and Jesus?

BAM!

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

12 August 2018 18:12

nonverbal - 12 August 2018 12:22 PM

Did he die without being resurrected? Sorry, Bruce—I’d like to understand your opinion about Jesus’ earthly presence.

It has nothing to do with resurrection. He hasn’t been on earth for 2000 years. What some stupid Christians have done since then doesn’t make him a bully.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

12 August 2018 18:16

unsmoked - 12 August 2018 11:50 AM

The OP is about Jesus being a bully.  Some of his followers are bullies. That doesn’t make him a bully. Simple.  People who presume to speak on his behalf often make mistakes, and can often be bullies themselves. Some, but not all.

Your argument is similar to this: Lincoln was a bully, because some people in his party are bullies today.

1 2 >