Total Posts:  8581
Joined  20-02-2006

13 August 2018 11:42

EN - 12 August 2018 06:16 PM
unsmoked - 12 August 2018 11:50 AM
EN - 12 August 2018 06:31 AM
unsmoked - 11 August 2018 07:32 PM
EN - 10 August 2018 06:46 PM

Of course he wasn’t!  Has he taken away your lunch money? Has he given you an atomic wedgie?  Has he tripped you in the hall and made you drop your books?  Are you a wus?

Think of all the books Jesus is knocking out of kids hands in the Bible Belt.  Consider the millions of Americans who are growing up without a clue as to how old the Earth is, or how humans evolved, or how over 350,000 species of beetles got onto the Ark.

We have a President and Vice President who couldn’t pass a 3rd grade science quiz.  Hyperbole?

Think of the wus school principals and teachers who know better but are afraid to stand up to fundamentalist bullies.

Jesus hasn’t been here for 2000 years.  And he didn’t write the Old Testament.  You have a hard time staying on point.

Jesus’ followers have been here for 2000 years.  Who are Christian fundamentalists talking to if God and Jesus aren’t here?  Who is ‘on the line’ if it’s not God and Jesus?

The OP is about Jesus being a bully.  Some of his followers are bullies. That doesn’t make him a bully. Simple.  People who presume to speak on his behalf often make mistakes, and can often be bullies themselves. Some, but not all.

Your argument is similar to this: Lincoln was a bully, because some people in his party are bullies today.

EN, if you were a Humanist or a Buddhist or one of any number of ‘ists’, what would you think of the Jesus quote in the OP?  (“I am the Way, The Truth, and the Life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.”) 

Jesus is just warning people as a friend, not threatening or bullying them?  His Church is not running a protection racket?

protection racket  -  a criminal system of taking money from people in exchange for agreeing not to hurt them or damage their property

John 15:6 -  “Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned.”  -  Jesus

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

17 December 2018 11:06

unsmoked - 13 August 2018 11:42 AM
EN - 12 August 2018 06:16 PM
unsmoked - 12 August 2018 11:50 AM
EN - 12 August 2018 06:31 AM
unsmoked - 11 August 2018 07:32 PM
EN - 10 August 2018 06:46 PM

Of course he wasn’t!  Has he taken away your lunch money? Has he given you an atomic wedgie?  Has he tripped you in the hall and made you drop your books?  Are you a wus?

Think of all the books Jesus is knocking out of kids hands in the Bible Belt.  Consider the millions of Americans who are growing up without a clue as to how old the Earth is, or how humans evolved, or how over 350,000 species of beetles got onto the Ark.

We have a President and Vice President who couldn’t pass a 3rd grade science quiz.  Hyperbole?

Think of the wus school principals and teachers who know better but are afraid to stand up to fundamentalist bullies.

Jesus hasn’t been here for 2000 years.  And he didn’t write the Old Testament.  You have a hard time staying on point.

Jesus’ followers have been here for 2000 years.  Who are Christian fundamentalists talking to if God and Jesus aren’t here?  Who is ‘on the line’ if it’s not God and Jesus?

The OP is about Jesus being a bully.  Some of his followers are bullies. That doesn’t make him a bully. Simple.  People who presume to speak on his behalf often make mistakes, and can often be bullies themselves. Some, but not all.

Your argument is similar to this: Lincoln was a bully, because some people in his party are bullies today.

EN, if you were a Humanist or a Buddhist or one of any number of ‘ists’, what would you think of the Jesus quote in the OP?  (“I am the Way, The Truth, and the Life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.”) 

Jesus is just warning people as a friend, not threatening or bullying them?  His Church is not running a protection racket?

protection racket  -  a criminal system of taking money from people in exchange for agreeing not to hurt them or damage their property

John 15:6 -  “Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned.”  -  Jesus

Posted: 16 December 2018 10:53 in the Brother Mario topic:

Brother Mario - 11 October 2018 06:14 PM
Doing what skeptics like is like eating glass for me.

And only a failure dislikes the success of another person.

I’m telling you the truth about myself.

To hide this truth behind a false notion of humility is a form of stupidity.

I’ve never been stupid for a very long time.

Most people are stupid for a lifetime.

https://www.verywellmind.com/grandiosity-in-bipolar-disorder-definition-and-stories-378818

quote:  “Grandiosity is a symptom experienced by people with bipolar disorder during manic and hypomanic episodes. People experiencing grandiosity, or grandiose delusions, often describe larger-than-life feelings of superiority. In short, it’s an exaggerated sense of your importance, power, knowledge, or identity, even though there is evidence that these beliefs are inaccurate.”  (end quote)

Is there a difference between John 15:6 and the grandiosity and bullying threats from Brother Mario? 

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21484
Joined  11-03-2007

17 December 2018 12:58

If you assume that Jesus is the judge of the world, then John 15:6 is simply telling you what the consequences of certain things are. No different than the criminal law telling me if I steal something I may go to jail. The criminal law is not a bully, and neither is Jesus. If Jesus is not the judge of the world, then he has no power and is still not a bully.  He’s just making a claim he can’t back up. 

Mario has no power over you.  He can’t push you around.  You don’t even have to engage him.  So he’s not a bully, either.

The dude who physically pushes or picks on someone in school is a bully because he actually has the power to do something.  That’s the difference.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

18 December 2018 10:36

EN - 17 December 2018 12:58 PM

If you assume that Jesus is the judge of the world, then John 15:6 is simply telling you what the consequences of certain things are. No different than the criminal law telling me if I steal something I may go to jail. The criminal law is not a bully, and neither is Jesus. If Jesus is not the judge of the world, then he has no power and is still not a bully.  He’s just making a claim he can’t back up. 

Mario has no power over you.  He can’t push you around.  You don’t even have to engage him.  So he’s not a bully, either.

The dude who physically pushes or picks on someone in school is a bully because he actually has the power to do something.  That’s the difference.

Would you agree that millions of Christians live in fear of going to hell?

< 1 2