Two philosophy podcasts that I recently discovered. 

saeed

saeed
Total Posts:  36
Joined  31-12-2017

13 August 2018 12:47

Some of you probably know about these two podcasts, but I found them last week, and have enjoyed episodes I have sampled from both tremendously.

Recently, I have been exploring podcasts that have the words ‘drunk’ or ‘drunken’ in them; there are a number of these now (perhaps soon I’ll make a website linking to as many as I can find).  These podcasts are usually more fun than podcasts that don’t have these words in their titles, even though the hosts and guests typically aren’t drunk.  I was pleasantly surprised therefore to find the ‘Drunken Philosophy’ podcast.  Were these guys drunk?  I am not sure, but they might as well have been, or at least they recently could have been.  How else could you explain the ease with which their discussion flowed between deep philosophical hi-brow and (quite) lo-brow topics?  They switched quickly from reactions to modern feminism and postmodernism to the effect of water on beer from different regions, and then without much warning started discussing issues with the use of certain pronouns in academic and colloquial expression.  I found myself laughing and contemplating deep truths at the same time; I now remember strangely feeling a little guilty for not taking these deep topics seriously, and then simultaneously wondered why anyone takes anything seriously. My head was spinning after 20 min (I think I was a bit drunk myself, even though I hadn’t had anything, at least for a few hours). 

The other podcast, ‘Hi-Phi Nation’, takes a different approach.  It questions the tradition in philosophy, particular academic philosophy, which privileges the written essay as the primary means of communicating important ideas, and instead puts an emphasis on an audio narrative form; narrative in the sense that it presents material in the way of an unfolding story, with snippets of analysis and interviews delivered in context. It’s worth highlighting that the presenter of this podcast, Barry Lam (who is on the faculty of philosophy at Vassar, and also has a background in broadcasting), works hard to ensure very high, professional quality, production values (good audio, well-chosen background music, use of timely fades etc.).  Episodes are produced in ‘seasons’.  I would like to particularly recommend the final episode of season 2, “Chamber of Facts”, which questions our common assumptions about echo chambers, and how they may worsen our current partisanship.  Lam is one of those philosophers who is not afraid to mix in empirical research to support his conclusions, which develop systematically over the course of the show, and are highly nuanced.  I found myself questioning what it is to ‘believe’, whether the essence of belief is something that is held or something that is acted out, and the relative contributions of reason vs. emotion to each of these aspects. 

RSS feeds for ‘Drunken Philosophy’ and ‘Hi-Phi Nation’, #4 and #8, respectively at my pop-up website on philosophy podcasts. 
https://philosophyring.neocities.org/

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  4841
Joined  28-05-2009

13 August 2018 13:51

I love podcasts for when I’m painting. I’ll check em out. Thanks!

brazen4

brazen4
Total Posts:  152
Joined  09-08-2017

14 August 2018 21:46

I just listened to a bunch of hi phi nation and agree that it is a well done podcast. A sort of radiolab for philosophy and I have listened to that one for a long time. Thanks for the referral.

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher
Total Posts:  390
Joined  13-02-2017

15 August 2018 03:23

Thanks for the heads up.  I’ll check these out.  Have you by chance tried “The Partially Examined Life”?  It’s a favorite of mine.

brazen4

brazen4
Total Posts:  152
Joined  09-08-2017

15 August 2018 14:36

I use “the partially examined life” as a good source of scholarly work by academics on various philosophers past and present. My own knowledge is very sketchy.

saeed

saeed
Total Posts:  36
Joined  31-12-2017

23 August 2018 06:18

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher - 15 August 2018 03:23 AM

Thanks for the heads up.  I’ll check these out.  Have you by chance tried “The Partially Examined Life”?  It’s a favorite of mine.

Absolutely!  I really enjoy it as well.  Have linked it here (#12):  https://philosophyring.neocities.org/