The Gullibility of the Narcissist

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8625
Joined  20-02-2006

16 August 2018 11:41

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/evolution-the-self/201808/the-gullibility-the-narcissist-what-you-need-know

quote:  “That is, most pathological narcissists are secretly plagued by self-esteem deficits originating in childhood and masked—or defended against—by rather primitive illusions of grandeur and an overblown sense of superiority and entitlement. And this need for others to admire them, to shore up the weak foundation of their carefully concocted persona, is what ultimately makes them so vulnerable to others’ words and behavior. If they’re so sensitive and angrily reactive to anything resembling criticism, it’s because of their deep-rooted insecurities. (And here, see my Psychology Today post: “The Narcissist’s Dilemma: They Can Dish It Out, But . . . ”, 2011.)

“This peculiar (and not generally recognized) dependency on others is a constant for them, and it can never be fully satisfied. Similar to mythic vampires, their emotional neediness requires a regular supply of fresh blood to sustain them. And just as these “undead” predators must depend on their victims for sustenance, so, too, do narcissists cultivate others to bolster their precarious self-image.

“Consider, for example, how often narcissists boast about their (supposedly) unparalleled accomplishments, and how their efforts alone engendered them, when typically they benefited from all sorts of outside help. But narcissists loathe sharing credit for anything, or admitting dependency on others. Still, their outward reliance is all too real, and it can set them up for eventual defeat—particularly from irate individuals who’ve felt mercilessly exploited.”

“To put this a little differently, if the narcissist has a single, overarching goal in life it’s to achieve the loftiest possible self-image, one that’s unassailable. So they’re compelled to engage, or “enlist,” others for the sole purpose of assisting them in achieving this grandiose objective.”  (end quotes from this article)

Supplement article - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandiose_delusions

From this article - symptoms of those with grandiose delusions:

“Symptoms
According to the DSM-IV-TR diagnostic criteria for delusional disorders, grandiose-type symptoms include grossly exaggerated beliefs of:

self-worth
power[5]
knowledge
identity
exceptional relationship to a divinity or famous person.”  [loftiest possible self-image]

[ Edited: 16 August 2018 12:15 by unsmoked]

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  7176
Joined  15-05-2009

16 August 2018 16:31

Omarosa Manigault Newman was interviewed by Trevor Noah on Tuesday.  She said:

...recent attacks on people like LeBron James thrilled the president, even as they caused a firestorm of outrage.

“Donald Trump enjoyed every moment of that,” Manigault Newman said. “He enjoyed every single person that was shocked by his abrasiveness, his attack on this African American male athlete, which is his favorite go-to thing. He loved it and he thrived off it.”

She continued: “If you ignore him, then you starve him of the thing he loves the most, and that is controversy and attention.”

The likelihood of the media ignoring Trump is zero.  But wouldn’t it be awesome to have one day when all media, even just the opposition media did not mention him at all?  Imagine CNN and MSNBC, the NYTimes and Atlantic, all the late night comics covering stories on the other issues of the day, but nothing on Trump’s administration.  Maybe even one week.  Actually, it would do no harm, and might do some good.

[ Edited: 16 August 2018 16:33 by hannahtoo]

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3333
Joined  26-01-2010

17 August 2018 00:35

Hannah beat me to it. I was going to suggest that this thread really belongs in the Trump Dump. I know that’s not completely true, of course, because I’ve known other narcissists who acted in ways similar to the way Trump acts.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8625
Joined  20-02-2006

17 August 2018 09:42

hannahtoo - 16 August 2018 04:31 PM

Omarosa Manigault Newman was interviewed by Trevor Noah on Tuesday.  She said:

...recent attacks on people like LeBron James thrilled the president, even as they caused a firestorm of outrage.

“Donald Trump enjoyed every moment of that,” Manigault Newman said. “He enjoyed every single person that was shocked by his abrasiveness, his attack on this African American male athlete, which is his favorite go-to thing. He loved it and he thrived off it.”

She continued: “If you ignore him, then you starve him of the thing he loves the most, and that is controversy and attention.”

The likelihood of the media ignoring Trump is zero.  But wouldn’t it be awesome to have one day when all media, even just the opposition media did not mention him at all?  Imagine CNN and MSNBC, the NYTimes and Atlantic, all the late night comics covering stories on the other issues of the day, but nothing on Trump’s administration.  Maybe even one week.  Actually, it would do no harm, and might do some good.

I’ve highlighted your last sentence.  I suspect that as soon as he was ignored for a day or two - by the news media, by the late night comics, by the right-wing talk-show hosts, and the government of course . . . he would tweet that he was ordering a ground invasion of Iran or something of that magnitude.  His motto - ‘IGNORE ME AT YOUR PERIL’.

Image Attachments

File1645.jpg

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  7176
Joined  15-05-2009

17 August 2018 12:51

Maybe the news could just report on “The President,” and never say “Trump” or show his face.  Like “he who must not be named.”