Again with the Catholic Church and cover-ups of sexual abuse of children

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9169
Joined  20-10-2006

16 August 2018 23:21

It has been, what?, 20 years since the Catholic Church in Boston, MA was exposed for protecting priests who sexually abused children, and investigations continue to uncover more criminal behavior of priests and the church’s desire to protect itself at the expense of its victims.  This time it is in Pennsylvania.  This indicates that the church is still holding secrets instead of coming clean.

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3295
Joined  26-01-2010

17 August 2018 01:06

Time for a Vatican Freedom of Information Act?

ubique13

ubique13
Total Posts:  862
Joined  10-03-2017

18 August 2018 07:42

It’s already being referred to as the worst scandal to hit the Vatican since the Reformation, and this is at a time when there are technically still two living Popes.

Ola

Ola
Total Posts:  1111
Joined  12-07-2016

23 August 2018 06:26

“Again”? I would choose the word “Still” because the scandals & revelations have never stopped, and have not yet been dealt with, it’s not (as I’m sure you know) 20 years since a big scandal in the Church, it’s an ongoing scandal, seemingly without end although we must hope it will one day end.

There is no doubt about the church still holding secrets because the same systems are in place and even the same people.

The Church has been ordered through court cases to pay certain amounts, and has still not paid them; the Vatican has recently declared zero tolerance for rapists in the priesthood, yet the majority of priests referred to the pope for removal since ZT began (thousands) have been retained in the priesthood, albeit in quiet retirement or admin with strict orders to reflect on what they’ve done.

Bishops who repeatedly covered up for paedophiles are still revered, not sanctioned, leaving the poor Archbishop of Dublin making a sincere plea this week that they should own up to what they did & resign. In Chile this year, possibly the biggest prosecution yet is about to take place, by the State, after raiding the church files, but the first response from the Vatican was to defend the accused clergy in almost Trumpish style with claims of “good people” despite decades of irrefutable evidence to the contrary been shown to the Vatican already.

Every move so far has been about damage control. The Pope may be guilty mainly of getting bad advice at this point, I don’t know, he seems open to change in theory, but the delay in dealing with things that have been reported consistently for at least 60 years (but probably for centuries) doesn’t just indicate that there’s more to discover but that the Church may not be anything BUT crime.

It’s now or never for that lot. Expel every single bishop/priest/church official that has had anything to with abuse or the systematic cover ups, and start again.

Or fold.

[ Edited: 23 August 2018 06:29 by Ola]

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6030
Joined  22-02-2005

24 August 2018 20:05

I’d like to put this news item in a time capsule. The special kind of capsule that can be dug up fifty years ago.

Many critics of the RCC have presumed that sex abuse is taking place because, while horrifying, it a logical assumption. It is also logical to assume that, because the public does not hear about it, the abuse is protected and hidden by the institution at its highest levels. Science informs us about human nature and that deity-assisted celibacy is a myth. 

The machinery of the RCC has been tweaked and perfected for more than a thousand years. It efficiently manages sex abuse. It is an ugly picture but one that many have presumed must be there.

Folks ask, “How can you be that cynical?’ It’s easy. Just do the math.

As one trusted steward of our children often said, “Science Rules!”

ubique13

ubique13
Joined  10-03-2017

24 August 2018 20:24

Nhoj Morley - 24 August 2018 08:05 PM

I’d like to put this news item in a time capsule. The special kind of capsule that can be dug up fifty years ago.

Many critics of the RCC have presumed that sex abuse is taking place because, while horrifying, it a logical assumption. It is also logical to assume that, because the public does not hear about it, the abuse is protected and hidden by the institution at its highest levels. Science informs us about human nature and that deity-assisted celibacy is a myth. 

The machinery of the RCC has been tweaked and perfected for more than a thousand years. It efficiently manages sex abuse. It is an ugly picture but one that many have presumed must be there.

Folks ask, “How can you be that cynical?’ It’s easy. Just do the math.

As one trusted steward of our children often said, “Science Rules!”

The Catholic Church has more than just the blood of children on its hands. There was also the whole “Ratline” thing…

There is an argument to be made that Martin Luther’s ideology was crucial to the rise of the Third Reich, for whatever that may be worth.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6030
Joined  22-02-2005

24 August 2018 21:47

We have a choice of tangents. We could change ‘sex abuse’ into ‘fascist abetting’ or we could change ‘RCC’ into ‘Name That Institution’.

However, the matter of old guys with strange sculpted moustaches is not as visceral as our children being caged, clergied or commando’ed. That’s when we know our politicking has gone dangerously nuts.

The goods news is that the bad news is news.

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  118
Joined  07-02-2017

26 August 2018 07:55

I would suspect that no one here is really surprised that the Roman Catholic Church is still covering up and systematically enabling the abuse and rape of children. If the RCC had any sense of moral accountability they would have dealt swiftly and decisively with the issue long ago.

But apparently, moral accountability is for suckers, and secularists. Certainly not for the RCC. And not for their God.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  6880
Joined  22-02-2014

26 August 2018 08:15

proximacentauri - 26 August 2018 07:55 AM

I would suspect that no one here is really surprised that the Roman Catholic Church is still covering up and systematically enabling the abuse and rape of children. If the RCC had any sense of moral accountability they would have dealt swiftly and decisively with the issue long ago.

But apparently, moral accountability is for suckers, and secularists. Certainly not for the RCC. And not for their God.

Thank goodness they’re not also materialistically greedy!

ubique13

ubique13
Joined  10-03-2017

26 August 2018 08:36

icehorse - 26 August 2018 08:15 AM
proximacentauri - 26 August 2018 07:55 AM

Thank goodness they’re not also materialistically greedy!

I know what we need! Someone grab a crucifix, I’ll go find a heretic.

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  118
Joined  07-02-2017

26 August 2018 14:51

Hot off the presses from the Washington Post…“Former Vatican ambassador says Pope Francis, Benedict knew of sexual misconduct allegations against McCarrick for years”