Laughing at yourself

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2614
Joined  21-10-2016

18 August 2018 07:26

Recently, unsmoked posted the following article on another thread.
https://www.helpguide.org/articles/mental-health/laughter-is-the-best-medicine.htm

An essential ingredient for developing your sense of humor is to learn to not take yourself too seriously and laugh at your own mistakes and foibles. As much as we’d like to believe otherwise, we all do foolish things from time to time. Instead of feeling embarrassed or defensive, embrace your imperfections.

Most (all?) of us have had an embarrassing moment or two. 

On the third date with my future husband, we were all dressed up and ready to go to a formal party.  Suits and long dresses.  It’s December.  We stopped to pick up friends of his, a couple we were going with to the party.  The friends are running late, light mood, lots of chatter, ‘let’s get going’.  So, I started out to the car.  As my new love calls out “watch out ... for the icy steps”, I slipped, down I went, tailbone hitting the edge of a step, dress up around my thighs, tears of pain welling up in my eyes.  As all came running to my aid, I jump up and pretend all is fine, trying to fluff it off.  Anything to minimize the embarrassment of looking like a klutz or fool.  But I’m in agony.  Now, the funniest part isn’t the fall itself, but the extent of my cover-up.  All night long I put on an act that I’m having fun, that dancing isn’t torture, that sitting on a hard chair is barely tolerable.  When what I should have done from the very start was laugh at myself.

One advantage of getting older is not becoming so easily embarrassed.  Now when we recall our early ‘courtship’, we laugh at this.  And it’s become a recurring theme and in-joke that warning me to “watch out” often comes too late.

Do you have a story where you were able to laugh at yourself, or should have laughed at yourself?  One that can give us a laugh now at your expense?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6030
Joined  22-02-2005

18 August 2018 08:21

I would laugh at myself more if I wasn’t surrounded by people who insist on doing it for me.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20788
Joined  11-03-2007

18 August 2018 11:13

I stick my foot in my mouth a good bit.  Last year in court we were getting the judge’s approval of a settlement involving a minor.  The child’s mother was there, and I casually commented my congratulations to her that she was pregnant again. Of course, she wasn’t; the basketball under her dress was not a child.  She was gracious, but others present laughingly let me know what a faux pas I had committed.  It was the subject of office jokes for a few weeks.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

18 August 2018 11:43

EN - 18 August 2018 11:13 AM

I stick my foot in my mouth a good bit.  Last year in court we were getting the judge’s approval of a settlement involving a minor.  The child’s mother was there, and I casually commented my congratulations to her that she was pregnant again. Of course, she wasn’t; the basketball under her dress was not a child.  She was gracious, but others present laughingly let me know what a faux pas I had committed.  It was the subject of office jokes for a few weeks.

Haha ... good one!  If that ever happens again you could say, “Oh, I thought from the radiant glow in your cheeks that you must be expecting ...”.  A good recovery line can be useful but you have to say it quickly; I’ve been honing that skill after years of experience sticking my foot in my mouth.  I’m getting particularly good at the one-sided introduction, doing it fast and distractedly so the third person ends up finishing the introduction; to cover up forgetting names I should know.

[ Edited: 18 August 2018 12:24 by Jan_CAN]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9169
Joined  20-10-2006

18 August 2018 17:41

Happened to me, too.  I learned that the only time to ask a woman if she is pregnant is when you see the baby’s head crowning as it is being delivered.

Image Attachments

5C554FA5-A70C-46F3-8D05-BB608D2FF5B8.png

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

18 August 2018 17:56

Jan_CAN - 18 August 2018 11:43 AM

Haha ... good one!  If that ever happens again you could say, “Oh, I thought from the radiant glow in your cheeks that you must be expecting ...”.  A good recovery line can be useful but you have to say it quickly; I’ve been honing that skill after years of experience sticking my foot in my mouth.  I’m getting particularly good at the one-sided introduction, doing it fast and distractedly so the third person ends up finishing the introduction; to cover up forgetting names I should know.

Then the opposite happened.  I was at my wife’s company Christmas party in a darkened fancy hotel ballroom in San Francisco when I saw one of her friends/co-workers with her husband, so I went to say Hi and asked why she didn’t have a drink.  She frowned and used both hands to point to her belly which was about 9.5 months pregnant.  My retort was, “I didn’t notice because I was busy staring at your tits.”

The good of that crack is that the CEO of her 8,000 person company now knows my wife’s name.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

18 August 2018 20:03

Skipshot - 18 August 2018 05:56 PM

Then the opposite happened.  I was at my wife’s company Christmas party in a darkened fancy hotel ballroom in San Francisco when I saw one of her friends/co-workers with her husband, so I went to say Hi and asked why she didn’t have a drink.  She frowned and used both hands to point to her belly which was about 9.5 months pregnant.  My retort was, “I didn’t notice because I was busy staring at your tits.”

The good of that crack is that the CEO of her 8,000 person company now knows my wife’s name.

Haha, well this raises some questions ...

First of all, did you really say that - out loud?  (Or is this a funny what-if kinda story?)
If you did, how drunk were you?
How long did it take to recover after the husband punched you in the nose?
And how long was it before your wife was speaking to you again?
(Or then again, maybe you’re one of those ‘funny drunks’ who can get away with saying anything.)

[ Edited: 18 August 2018 20:21 by Jan_CAN]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

19 August 2018 00:49

Jan_CAN - 18 August 2018 08:03 PM
Skipshot - 18 August 2018 05:56 PM

Haha, well this raises some questions ...

First of all, did you really say that - out loud?  (Or is this a funny what-if kinda story?)
If you did, how drunk were you?
How long did it take to recover after the husband punched you in the nose?
And how long was it before your wife was speaking to you again?
(Or then again, maybe you’re one of those ‘funny drunks’ who can get away with saying anything.)

True story, no exaggeration, and yes, it was out loud.  I was sober because I just arrived at the party.  I was acquainted with the couple as they were dinner guests at my house, and I got lucky that the woman thought the crack was funny, which is how the story spread around the party.  My wife was not there to hear the crack, but she heard about it through the party grapevine which found the story funny, too.  You can dress me up, but you can’t take me out.

The corollary to this is that my wife brought me to the following year’s Christmas party, and when she introduced me to her boss, he put out his hand to shake, but I did not reciprocate and instead looked him in the eye and firmly said, “So you’re the one cutting into my sex life!”  I was quickly hustled away and my wife went back to her boss to do damage control, but it was too late, because two others heard the crack and it was “Guess what he said this time!” all over the party.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

19 August 2018 01:26

Skipshot - 19 August 2018 12:49 AM

True story, no exaggeration, and yes, it was out loud.  I was sober because I just arrived at the party.  I was acquainted with the couple as they were dinner guests at my house, and I got lucky that the woman thought the crack was funny, which is how the story spread around the party.  My wife was not there to hear the crack, but she heard about it through the party grapevine which found the story funny, too.  You can dress me up, but you can’t take me out.

The corollary to this is that my wife brought me to the following year’s Christmas party, and when she introduced me to her boss, he put out his hand to shake, but I did not reciprocate and instead looked him in the eye and firmly said, “So you’re the one cutting into my sex life!”  I was quickly hustled away and my wife went back to her boss to do damage control, but it was too late, because two others heard the crack and it was “Guess what he said this time!” all over the party.

That’s hilarious!  So now you have a reputation and there are expectations for future parties.  I can just imagine the kind of ribbing your wife has to take at work on your account, but she must have a sense of humour since she’s married to you.  I say keep it up so you can tell us about next year’s party.

Goes to show it’s not just what you say, but how you say it and to whom.  You obviously have good instincts about what you can get away with.  Laughter really is the best medicine and makes life worth living, and it seems you’re doing your bit.