Sealions and Other Posting Mammals

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6333
Joined  22-02-2005

18 August 2018 08:34

Sealioning? I had to look this up. My first guess was seeing the world as perfectly balanced on the tip of your nose. No, it is based on a single comic strip. loosely. The concept is too amorphous to make any forum policy out of it unless a stout poster can nail down a good definition for it. Please offer them here.

First, a quick analogy. I have been staring at the goings on here for a long time and sometimes it reminds me of drivers in heavy traffic. We sit isolated in our metal and glass bubbles but occasionally have the opportunity to communicate with other drivers over some near miss or act of vehicular selfishness. Then we can observe the vast assortment of hand gestures we have established to express anger, contempt or what we want someone to do with their body parts. We still don’t have a hand gesture for “I’m sorry”. Why not?

Likewise, why does disagreeing have to be so relentlessly disagreeable? What makes pushback come to shoveback? Posters who desire that their fellow patrons scrutinize five paragraph of hard work should not be disappointed when their paragraphs are scrutinized. Then, the scrutiny can be scrutinized and finally, assigned the appropriate meme-mammal or whatever.

They are as easy to invent as rude hand gestures.

Blendering- Posting responses that, while addressing components of the topic, wholly ignore the point or intention of the OP. 

SharkWeeking- Posting the same old high shock value stuff for no other reason than reminding others of your existence.

Monolithing- Plopping your inscrutable intelligence down in the middle of the patrons and hoping they amass around to touch you gently with fascination.

BeaverDamming- stuffing a thread with links and repeated responses until the thread floods over into four or five extra pages.

Wombatting- Raising nonsensical objections and making irrelevant accusations with funny animal names.

Further suggestions are welcome.

What meme applies to expressing gratitude for attention, forgiveness for expression and having patience under fire? What mammal would that be?

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6716
Joined  08-12-2006

18 August 2018 09:14

Nhoj Morley - 18 August 2018 08:34 AM

Likewise, why does disagreeing have to be so relentlessly disagreeable?

Because people take disagreement personally.

Two contrasting examples of sealioning:

A subtle form of trolling involving “bad-faith” questions. You disingenuously frame your conversation as a sincere request to be enlightened, placing the burden of educating you entirely on the other party. If your bait is successful, the other party may engage, painstakingly laying out their logic and evidence in the false hope of helping someone learn. In fact you are attempting to harass or waste the time of the other party, and have no intention of truly entertaining their point of view. Instead, you react to each piece of information by misinterpreting it or requesting further clarification, ad nauseum. The name “sea-lioning” comes from a Wondermark comic strip.

I spent five minutes asking polite questions, sealioning him into hours of writing until he got exasperated and told me to fuck off.

Or

To express disagreement with, express skepticism of, or otherwise simply talk back to an internet social justice advocate or internet radical feminist.

Help me! help me! These white male shitlords on the internet are sealioning me by asking me to provide evidence for my accusations! I’m being harassed and stalked because people doubt me! Please donate to my paetron and kickstarter accounts so I can buy some new shoes~whoops, I mean, so I can produce some more content about how sexist this hobby that I don’t really partake in is.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9554
Joined  20-10-2006

18 August 2018 09:38

Nhoj Morley - 18 August 2018 08:34 AM

Sealioning? I had to look this up. My first guess was seeing the world as perfectly balanced on the tip of your nose. No, it is based on a single comic strip. loosely. The concept is too amorphous to make any forum policy out of it unless a stout poster can nail down a good definition for it. Please offer them here.

First, a quick analogy. I have been staring at the goings on here for a long time and sometimes it reminds me of drivers in heavy traffic. We sit isolated in our metal and glass bubbles but occasionally have the opportunity to communicate with other drivers over some near miss or act of vehicular selfishness. Then we can observe the vast assortment of hand gestures we have established to express anger, contempt or what we want someone to do with their body parts. We still don’t have a hand gesture for “I’m sorry”. Why not?

Likewise, why does disagreeing have to be so relentlessly disagreeable? What makes pushback come to shoveback? Posters who desire that their fellow patrons scrutinize five paragraph of hard work should not be disappointed when their paragraphs are scrutinized. Then, the scrutiny can be scrutinized and finally, assigned the appropriate meme-mammal or whatever.

They are as easy to invent as rude hand gestures.

Blendering- Posting responses that, while addressing components of the topic, wholly ignore the point or intention of the OP. 

SharkWeeking- Posting the same old high shock value stuff for no other reason than reminding others of your existence.

Monolithing- Plopping your inscrutable intelligence down in the middle of the patrons and hoping they amass around to touch you gently with fascination.

BeaverDamming- stuffing a thread with links and repeated responses until the thread floods over into four or five extra pages.

Wombatting- Raising nonsensical objections and making irrelevant accusations with funny animal names.

Further suggestions are welcome.

What meme applies to expressing gratitude for attention, forgiveness for expression and having patience under fire? What mammal would that be?

Hand gesture = thumbs up

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3294
Joined  21-10-2016

18 August 2018 10:07

Thanks Nhoj for the amusing reminder (and for the new SH-Forum-specific memes which should come in handy, haha).

I nominate the platypus as a meme to express gratitude, etc.  Although just barely a mammal, they’re friendly looking with incongruous features, and look to be patient and intuitive.  Not sure how to use in a sentence though.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17529
Joined  15-02-2008

18 August 2018 10:55