< 1 2

Bias, "Sea lioning", and assumed / implied context

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1859
Joined  31-10-2015

19 August 2018 14:49

You invited commentary with this thread, icehorse. Sorry if it doesn’t all sit well.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7708
Joined  22-02-2014

19 August 2018 15:02

nonverbal - 19 August 2018 02:49 PM

You invited commentary with this thread, icehorse. Sorry if it doesn’t all sit well.

What you provided was mostly ad hominem, which tends not to sit well. What you did NOT comment on were the actual ideas in the OP.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3855
Joined  20-11-2013

19 August 2018 18:47

icehorse - 19 August 2018 08:18 AM

This forum used to be explicitly under the banner of “Project Reason” whose mission statement included the phrase “promote critical thinking”. AFAIK, that’s still the spirit of this forum.

Guide to the Sam Harris Forum

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6419
Joined  22-02-2005

19 August 2018 19:33

icehorse - 19 August 2018 11:54 AM

First off, while I can see how you took the OP to be directed at the moderators, it was actually directed primarily at the patrons.

I don’t care who you directed that at. I can’t let your claims go unanswered.

Second, I would disagree that lack of community buy-in equates to a weak argument.

Tell that to the cold fusion boys. I’ll grant this ain’t the Scientific Journal but what about the notion of Peer Review?
Is there another explanation for an argument that plays weakly? Can we just blame the peers? Or are we somehow not your peers? What, then?

And even if it sometimes does, letting community buy-in decide what’s “right” would be a terrifying way to run things.

My point is the opposite. Who’s ‘right’ does not enter into it for an admin. 

The point is, if your argument falls short of swaying EVERYONE including Mario, then all there is for an admin to judge is our social skills and interaction. As such, requesting a restraint of someone’s particular behavior will not be deemed as a quashing of open debate or free speech. We say, try a little polish and please come back and try again.

Certainly the Boss doesn’t promote that approach, in fact he explicits rejects it. E.g., if we were to use that approach then atheist views would be considered “wrong”.

That is silly. Considered wrong by who? Not the admins. As for The Boss, let me quote his one and only forum post…

The Boss:
Please do your best to make sense and treat one another well!

Mr. Horse:
To me, we should all be willing to make our contexts explicit, and asking another patron to clarify their context should not be discouraged.

No one has. I imagine most posters think they have already made their context explicit when they click on send. Asking for ‘clarity’ is asking for accommodation to a particular point of view. As in, “Can you explain this in a manner I can understand?” Objective Clarity might as well be Objective Morality.

As for “form”, I think I’d need to see specifics…?

Or what? You know where your posts are. Can anyone else give Mr. Horse an idea about what form is?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6419
Joined  22-02-2005

19 August 2018 19:40

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher - 19 August 2018 11:15 AM

What was the PR forum, and how was it different?

The short answer is… it wasn’t any different.

The Boss started his site in 2004 and it came with a bonus forum. A community promptly sprang forth and it went on for a few years. Then The Boss and some pals started Project Reason. Nobody knows what PR was but it did have a website and it too had a bonus forum. We were told to move to PRF as SHF would close. It didn’t and for a few years, they co-existed with PRF being very active and SHF was a ghost town. Those were good years.

Then PR was turned off from being whatever it was, and we were all hauled back in trucks to the SHF. Here we are.

The Harris company has been distancing the Harris site from this forum. Our numbers are dwindling. When we were the Podcast Discussion Site with links from the podcast page, this place raged. Sadly, that has been cut off. I tell the Ubers that we’re worth it, and so far, we are still here. All praise the Ubers!

< 1 2