"Race"

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6373
Joined  31-01-2012

27 August 2018 12:05

bbearren - 27 August 2018 11:25 AM
Jb8989 - 27 August 2018 10:04 AM

There’s no stories when regular people think or say racist things. The stories come about when said person is in a decision making position. Then we all assume this is who they are at their core even if their careers and behaviors say otherwise. It’s an easy scapegoat, even if it is sometimes true, but I still imagine that the vast majority of racism isn’t happening in political and judicial settings. I don’t buy into the idea that each system is laced with unseen racism.

You can’t buy into it, it isn’t for sale.  Whether or not it exists doesn’t depend on your acceptance of its existence.

There are a great many “untold” stories no less realistic than those which make the news, but people like me hear them or about them every day.

It’s people like you whose discretion on the matter I wouldn’t trust.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3804
Joined  20-11-2013

27 August 2018 12:09

Jb8989 - 27 August 2018 12:05 PM

There’s no stories when regular people think or say racist things. The stories come about when said person is in a decision making position. Then we all assume this is who they are at their core even if their careers and behaviors say otherwise. It’s an easy scapegoat, even if it is sometimes true, but I still imagine that the vast majority of racism isn’t happening in political and judicial settings. I don’t buy into the idea that each system is laced with unseen racism.

You can’t buy into it, it isn’t for sale.  Whether or not it exists doesn’t depend on your acceptance of its existence.

There are a great many “untold” stories no less realistic than those which make the news, but people like me hear them or about them every day.

Nor would that be my desire; it’s in my signature.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6373
Joined  31-01-2012

27 August 2018 14:50

bbearren - 27 August 2018 12:09 PM

Your desires are irrelevant to your molarkey.

You’re a fringe under privileged white privledged. How’s that going?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6335
Joined  22-02-2005

27 August 2018 15:39

No shenanigans on a newbie’s thread. Take it to The Klein Bottle.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3804
Joined  20-11-2013

27 August 2018 15:41

Jb8989 - 27 August 2018 02:50 PM
bbearren - 27 August 2018 12:09 PM

Your desires are irrelevant to your molarkey.

You’re a fringe under privileged white privledged. How’s that going?

“No exact matches found for “molarkay”
Did you mean “malarkey”?
“noun
informal
Meaningless talk; nonsense.”

Did you not read my signature?

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3333
Joined  26-01-2010

28 August 2018 00:09

EN - 25 August 2018 08:56 AM
Petra - 25 August 2018 12:52 AM

I am German and we established racism to the highest level, so stupid but exhaustive.
We went deep as possible but could get high again. The darkest time in history.
Within 1 generation we eliminated the word up to biology taxonomy.
Even today with all the immigrants and also right wing movements no one uses the word race. Even they can not and do not say race.
There are of course in-groups, but divided by country, religion, ethnics etc.

Just do not use it. Teach not to use it. Ban it from taxonomy. Racism is illegal and it depends on using the word. So everyone using it is actually a racist.

Skipshot: You were asked for race? What are the options in the questionaire?

m

We cannot ban words in the USA.  The First Amendment allows people to say what they want, including advocating Nazism and denying the Holocaust.  This simply isn’t Germany. What is possible there is not possible here without a wholesale revision of our Constitution.  Nobody on either side truly wants to get rid of the First Amendment, except for our President.

And he only wants to get rid of it for everybody but himself.

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3333
Joined  26-01-2010

28 August 2018 00:18

Doing away with a word is not doing away with a concept. Ethnicity is quite a good substitute, as is geographic lineage,  and even culture depending on its specific usage. What GAD said is true, as humans we will exploit whatever differences among ourselves we can perceive or conceive of to attempt to classify ourselves and others. Usually, the classifications will be used for self-interested purposes. At the same time, by default and usually as a side effect, they will be used contrary to the interests of classifications we do not consider ourselves to be members of.

[ Edited: 28 August 2018 00:24 by Poldano]

Celal

Celal
Total Posts:  3124
Joined  07-08-2011

28 August 2018 11:32

Poldano - 28 August 2018 12:18 AM

Doing away with a word is not doing away with a concept. Ethnicity is quite a good substitute, as is geographic lineage,  and even culture depending on its specific usage. What GAD said is true, as humans we will exploit whatever differences among ourselves we can perceive or conceive of to attempt to classify ourselves and others. Usually, the classifications will be used for self-interested purposes. At the same time, by default and usually as a side effect, they will be used contrary to the interests of classifications we do not consider ourselves to be members of.

This is very true.

OP may be confused by the German State not categorizing its citizens by ethnicity. However the ethnics groups will still seek to distinguish themselves culturally. Often not even aware that they are doing it. Germans may not be using derogatory words like “Kanake” in public but in private no doubt they will use it to refer to Turks.

I was speaking with some educated German Turks who were visiting USA and when discussing life in Germany for Turks they complained how Germans were discriminatory towards them. They said Germans even had a special word for foreigners who aren’t of German ethnicity even if born in Germany.  I then reminded them the words Turks have for not only Germans but for all non-Muslims. They were unimpressed with my argument because their usage of the derogatory words for Germans were natural and accurate.

That is how it goes.

< 1 2 3