Total Posts:  3623
Joined  20-11-2013

31 August 2018 17:06

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17358
Joined  15-02-2008

31 August 2018 19:58

OMG NdGT is awesome! I did not know the goodbye origin and looked it up, looks legit.  That said, he said he uses the common use definition of words and if the common definition of atheist is not using any reference to gods, then by his own definition he isn’t an atheist since he does, fair enough. I use god references because I’m lazy even though I know it’s seen by desperate theists as promoting the validity of their chosen make-believe god(s). As long as his definition of atheist isn’t “lack of belief” then we are soulmates.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7334
Joined  22-02-2014

01 September 2018 10:17

It seems Tyson is rebelling against that subset of atheists who are the “militant atheists”. In my experience listening to and reading Tyson, he is also - IMO - a soft anti-theist. He IS concerned with religious attacks on secularism and critical thinking.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1572
Joined  31-10-2015

01 September 2018 10:29

GAD - 31 August 2018 07:58 PM

OMG NdGT is awesome! I did not know the goodbye origin and looked it up, looks legit.  That said, he said he uses the common use definition of words and if the common definition of atheist is not using any reference to gods, then by his own definition he isn’t an atheist since he does, fair enough. I use god references because I’m lazy even though I know it’s seen by desperate theists as promoting the validity of their chosen make-believe god(s). As long as his definition of atheist isn’t “lack of belief” then we are soulmates.

But he seems to be saying that, for some words at least, a dictionary definition only partly describes the meanings of a word. A dictionary definition isn’t up to the task of listing dozens and dozens of shades of potential meaning that can at any given time be assumed for a word due to the many and diverse contexts where it gets used.