No good deed goes unpunished

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20788
Joined  11-03-2007

04 September 2018 03:49

You sign up to help one political candidate.  Soon you’re on every mailing list for every candidate or organization remotely associated with that one candidate, asking you for money IMMEDIATELY to meet any one of a thousand URGENT needs from saving the nation to protecting dung beetles in Central Africa.  You give to one charity to help a friend run or walk or crawl or drink for “the cure” to some disease.  Within a month you have a hundred emails from organizations against every condition known to man asking for money and making you feel guilty if you don’t give now.  Then you find out that your one-time gift to the first organization is now a recurring gift because you didn’t press the right selection that was hidden at the bottom of the form, and now your credit card is showing an unexpected $100.00 a month draft.  It takes an act of Congress to stop this, and you have to get mean with somebody from India or Nigeria or somewhere, which makes you feel very uncharitable.  Then you find that someone has used all this information to steal your identity and make unauthorized charges to your account.  Then you start start getting emails from some fake website in Russia telling you that your candidate has sex with puppies.

Welcome to Good Deed Hell.  Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16861
Joined  15-02-2008

04 September 2018 07:42

Like I tell my mom, stop clicking on everything you see on the internet, especially shit that says it’s free.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15189
Joined  17-12-2006

04 September 2018 08:43

EN - 04 September 2018 03:49 AM

You sign up to help one political candidate.  Soon you’re on every mailing list for every candidate or organization remotely associated with that one candidate, asking you for money IMMEDIATELY to meet any one of a thousand URGENT needs from saving the nation to protecting dung beetles in Central Africa.  You give to one charity to help a friend run or walk or crawl or drink for “the cure” to some disease.  Within a month you have a hundred emails from organizations against every condition known to man asking for money and making you feel guilty if you don’t give now.  Then you find out that your one-time gift to the first organization is now a recurring gift because you didn’t press the right selection that was hidden at the bottom of the form, and now your credit card is showing an unexpected $100.00 a month draft.  It takes an act of Congress to stop this, and you have to get mean with somebody from India or Nigeria or somewhere, which makes you feel very uncharitable.  Then you find that someone has used all this information to steal your identity and make unauthorized charges to your account.  Then you start start getting emails from some fake website in Russia telling you that your candidate has sex with puppies.

I think this deserves wide dissemination. Please forward to all friends and on all social media outlets. And be sure to include several buttons to click.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2614
Joined  21-10-2016

04 September 2018 08:43

EN - 04 September 2018 03:49 AM

Yup ... and once you’re on the international ‘sucker list’, there’s no going back.  You can get call-display/ident on your phone and use an alternate e-mail address for your personal e-mails, but they still gotcha.  They’ll find you even if you change your name and move to Alaska; there is no escape from Good Deed Hell.  There’s nothing can be done but to channel that guilt where you decide and get tough with the rest.  But then again, maybe this is a good thing – the making of tougher ‘nice’ people, eh?  (Probably not though, haha)

Aside anecdote about mailing lists:  A few years ago, my husband was given a gift subscription to Golf Digest magazine.  We immediately noticed a class upgrade in our junk mail – ads for luxury condos, high-end cruises, etc.  We’d made the ‘high roller’ list; little did they know.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

04 September 2018 08:52

I get like one or more Team Beto mails a day, I think EN signed me up!

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

04 September 2018 09:17

GAD - 04 September 2018 08:52 AM

Really?  I swear I didn’t.  How did they get your name???  The tendrils have an expansive reach.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

04 September 2018 09:25

EN - 04 September 2018 09:17 AM

Really?  I swear I didn’t.  How did they get your name???  The tendrils have an expansive reach.

I sign a lot of shit online and send stuff to my state reps, so I ended up on the dems mailing list, Hillary, Sanders, Harris, Beto etc.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

04 September 2018 10:31

GAD - 04 September 2018 09:25 AM

I sign a lot of shit online and send stuff to my state reps, so I ended up on the dems mailing list, Hillary, Sanders, Harris, Beto etc.

You poor thing. I’m getting inundated with stuff about Elizabeth Warren’s new book, the Sierra Club saving some animal in Alaska, etc. I must get 100 requests for money a day. I spend half my time on my I Phone just deleting shit. I just thought I was an Independent.  My support of Beto has half the country convinced I’m a radical liberal.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

04 September 2018 17:26

EN - 04 September 2018 10:31 AM
GAD - 04 September 2018 09:25 AM

You poor thing. I’m getting inundated with stuff about Elizabeth Warren’s new book, the Sierra Club saving some animal in Alaska, etc. I must get 100 requests for money a day. I spend half my time on my I Phone just deleting shit. I just thought I was an Independent.  My support of Beto has half the country convinced I’m a radical liberal.

LOL! That will teach you not to care!

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9169
Joined  20-10-2006

04 September 2018 22:30

Thanks for the tip, EN.  I have my preferred charities which have not sold my info on the internet - yet.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6129
Joined  31-01-2012

07 September 2018 16:59

GAD - 04 September 2018 07:42 AM

Like I tell my mom, stop clicking on everything you see on the internet, especially shit that says it’s free.

I had to stamp it on my mom’s forehead.