Hijacking threads?

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  6880
Joined  22-02-2014

08 September 2018 08:19

Wasn’t sure where to put this thread? But it seems arguable that debating standards are a central point in philosophy so…

Until recently, I don’t recall many claims of “hijacking” in this forum. Perhaps such claims have always been there, and I just forgotten them?

It seems to me that if posters are debating in good faith, claims of “hijacking” are really hard to prove. We’re all debating. We all make a variety of claims to support our arguments. It should be the case that any of the claims we make are up for scrutiny. An argument might stand or fall based on a detail, correct?

So I guess I’m curious to know what critical thinking process is used by a poster who makes a claim of “hijacking”. How was that conclusion arrived at?

(BTW: This is not to say that hijacking doesn’t exist, of course it does.)

Celal

Celal
Total Posts:  3114
Joined  07-08-2011

08 September 2018 09:24

icehorse - 08 September 2018 08:19 AM

So I guess I’m curious to know what critical thinking process is used by a poster who makes a claim of “hijacking”. How was that conclusion arrived at?

If the debate is not going as one likes and destroy one’s narrative by reason, you hijack the thread.  If you support one’s narrative then you are on topic.  Often invoked by cry babies who aren’t used to contrary view points. So when challenged, they are jarred.  They find the source of this weakness not in themselves, but in others. Hence, they created the “JAR” to jar one poster, and the “Klein Bottle” for the other disagreeable bunch seemingly less lame. But it is all the same.

That is the thinking behind hijacking claims I have seen. How critical the thinking is, not for me to say.

[ Edited: 08 September 2018 09:41 by Celal]

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16861
Joined  15-02-2008

08 September 2018 09:26

Saying something they don’t like or proving their view is bullshit.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6030
Joined  22-02-2005

08 September 2018 12:15

Now that the short answers have arrived, I’ll try to hijack this thread with a response made with admin cap on.

Poster accusations may or may not have merit but terms like hijack and derail can be described in forum policy. Some accusation will earn the admins blessing as they see fittin’. That’s the whole policy.

Some clear examples can be cited. For nearly a whole year, patrons’ first look at the day’s mainpage was festooned with BOOBQUAKES from The Mabus. Every thread got one. Then there’s the poster poster of hijacking, the Specimen designated as BM. All discussions became why is he allowed to post and whether seven years in a monastary can authoritatively trump the combined life-experience of mankind. That was when alll were unanimous about hijacking. It is the only subject this forum has ever been unanimous about.

Hijacking isn’t about a single particular post making an unhappy contribution to the thread. It is what happens after the particular post that defines whether a thread has been hijacked by it. The hijackers may technically be the follow-up posters who respond to it. Some threads that Mario invaded were technically hijacked by Mr. Campbell or others.

If one poster finds another poster annoying or disagreeable or just insisting on a challenge that the thread-starter cannot agree is there, our first advice is to ignore the poster. The forum has automation built in to do this for you. We recommend using it. We also understand why one would not want to. The forum will treat hijacking as an event beyond the control of the ignore option. As in, the whole conversation has turned in a different direction.

Solutions need not be draconian. How about starting another thread? Us admins can move posts and separate interleaved conversations. Just ask.

Celal explains Jar Management policy about as well as he describes politics. There are two ongoing jars available for stick poking patrons to participate in or pass by. They were esablished by agreements with the posters under jar. While it seems like a sideshows of cruel dunk-tank treatment, they are, in fact, the forum’s Handicapped Access Feature for special needs posters who would otherwise have no way to participate.

Stick-poking works in all directions in The Klein Bottle. Personal combat can derail any thread and put off other participants. It is intended for patrons’ convenience and is not a penalty box.

Mr. Horse raises other concerns but I’m typed-out for the moment.

Would everyone pla-ease consider the Forum Request section as the place for all Forum-related Issues. Like this one. I’ll ask the ubers to rename it Forum Issues.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6396
Joined  08-12-2006

08 September 2018 14:19

Study: Two-Thirds of Millenials Sleep Nude

Sleeping nude can sometimes be embarrassing, according to the poll. About half of all nude sleepers admitted to awkward moments, including being walked in on—mostly be a friend, parent or roommate—being bitten by a bug, or having to leave the house unclothed during an emergency.

Nearly 70 percent of respondents who sleep naked said they do so because they’re more comfortable without clothes. About 58 percent said nude sleeping was relaxing, and 54 percent said it improves their sleep. (Roughly 15 percent said they sleep naked to keep their genitals “free and happy.”)

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16861
Joined  15-02-2008

08 September 2018 15:12

Antisocialdarwinist - 08 September 2018 02:19 PM

Sleeping nude can sometimes be embarrassing, according to the poll. About half of all nude sleepers admitted to awkward moments, including being walked in on—mostly be a friend, parent or roommate—being bitten by a bug, or having to leave the house unclothed during an emergency.

Nearly 70 percent of respondents who sleep naked said they do so because they’re more comfortable without clothes. About 58 percent said nude sleeping was relaxing, and 54 percent said it improves their sleep. (Roughly 15 percent said they sleep naked to keep their genitals “free and happy.”)

Never liked, in younger years I slept in undies, now days shorts and a tee.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2614
Joined  21-10-2016

08 September 2018 15:16

Antisocialdarwinist - 08 September 2018 02:19 PM

Great derail ... this happened to the husband of a co-worker.  He worked shift work and was home alone sleeping during the day.  The smoke alarm went off, smoke was coming under the bedroom door, so he jumped out the second-floor window into a snow bank.  Which is when he remembered he was naked.

[ Edited: 08 September 2018 15:26 by Jan_CAN]

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

08 September 2018 16:57

Too bad we can’t do something like this. With virtual darts. Accumulate too many and you’re restricted to the Klein Bottle for a month.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

10 September 2018 16:14

The astonishing deathbed audio confession of the man who claimed to be infamous hijacker D.B. Cooper – and whose identity is revealed after years of secrecy

A team of investigators in Michigan are certain that Reca is true identity of Cooper.

They claim that ‘Cooper’ was a former Army paratrooper and war veteran who survived the jump and went on to become a high-level covert intelligence operative for several governments.