< 1 2 3

Taxes, Subsidies, Amazon, and Walmart

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6921
Joined  15-05-2009

11 September 2018 09:58

I don’t think it’s pointless.  I think it’s good for people to know how big companies, which are so important in our economy, function. 

Voltaire said it first: With great power comes great responsibility. Others prefer a more-recent attribution, citing Peter Parker’s Uncle Ben in Spiderman. Winston Churchill said: The price of greatness is responsibility.

So far, there is no law mandating any sort of social responsibility for the rich and powerful in the US.  We are trusting of the invisible hand to keep things fair.  The problem with this system is the people who are chaff in the winnowing.  How many peons need to lose so that a few CEOs can win?

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  6880
Joined  22-02-2014

11 September 2018 10:01

GAD - 11 September 2018 09:54 AM
icehorse - 11 September 2018 09:47 AM
GAD - 11 September 2018 08:04 AM

skip the pointless comparison and look at the numbers for Bezos, his salary is 81K, the company paid 1.7M for security but all his great wealth is the 16% of the company stock, you know, of the company he founded. 

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-typical-amazon-worker-made-less-than-30000-in-2017-2018-04-18

I’m not getting your point? He’s sold stock in the past…

And you will never get the point, because you don’t want to.

What was your point in presenting that article? So “on paper” Bezos’ salary was 81k. Who cares? He’s sold stock in the past and he can sell stock in the future. He’s not living on 81k / year, that’s for sure.

As for me not wanting to get the point, that’s not true. I’ve asked you repeatedly to explain your perspective and you dodge the hard questions. Let’s try again:

Are you happy that some of your tax dollars go to pay for food for Amazon employees?

Do you believe that it makes long term economic sense to let the .01% wealthiest people destroy the middle class in pursuit of greater wealth?

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20788
Joined  11-03-2007

11 September 2018 10:21

The rich should be taxed more.  No need to limit their income - just tax it more. Were they not in America, they would not be that rich.  They owe more to the country.  Buffett agrees.

[ Edited: 11 September 2018 14:43 by EN]

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6921
Joined  15-05-2009

11 September 2018 12:39

The epitome of the laissez faire attitude is Trump.  Get rich without concern about whom you trample on your way up.  The alarming thing is that he has achieved the highest office in the land (maybe the world), and his supporters give him a pass for every unscrupulous thing he’s done.  That’s gotta be some sort of weird psychological syndrome.  We have “sadism” named after Marquis de Sade.  And Oedipus complex named after the Greek character.  What will Trump disorder be? 

Maybe to describe Trump, or people who vote for him despite the faults which would disqualify any other candidate—or maybe because of them—we need one of those poly-compound terms like they have in German.  Like schadenfreude (taking joy in others’ pain).  Maybe that might be close?

[ Edited: 11 September 2018 14:48 by hannahtoo]

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6531
Joined  15-02-2007

16 September 2018 09:01

There was a time, in some states, where Walmart employees were expected to spend a certain amount of their own paycheck in walmart stores.
I get that supporting your employer is a good idea, but quotas seems like over-reach to me.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14802
Joined  24-12-2004

19 September 2018 05:05

GAD - 08 September 2018 10:16 AM

I’ve been a Prime member for 10 years, why, because Amazon has provided the best quality, customer service and prices bar none. Now it’s evil and must be stopped, why, because Bezos is rich and some people can’t stand that.

Consistently reframing everything one most wants to argue against into a convenient context carries some rather negative connotations that directly effect one’s credibility, among other things.

Not that there’s a pattern in your more apologetic posts of course ...

[ Edited: 19 September 2018 05:42 by SkepticX]

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16861
Joined  15-02-2008

19 September 2018 07:53

SkepticX - 19 September 2018 05:05 AM
GAD - 08 September 2018 10:16 AM

I’ve been a Prime member for 10 years, why, because Amazon has provided the best quality, customer service and prices bar none. Now it’s evil and must be stopped, why, because Bezos is rich and some people can’t stand that.

Consistently reframing everything one most wants to argue against into a convenient context carries some rather negative connotations that directly effect one’s credibility, among other things.

Not that there’s a pattern in your more apologetic posts of course ...

Yeah, that’s why you have no credibility.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  6880
Joined  22-02-2014

22 September 2018 09:20

EN - 11 September 2018 10:21 AM

The rich should be taxed more.  No need to limit their income - just tax it more. Were they not in America, they would not be that rich.  They owe more to the country.  Buffett agrees.

bingo!

And as I recently heard Lewis Black say: “If you tax the rich more, guess what? Tomorrow they’ll still be rich!!”

< 1 2 3