Another look at climate change - “What else did we expect to happen?”

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8010
Joined  20-02-2006

10 September 2018 11:33

https://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2018/03/09/591906007/getting-climate-change-right-in-light-of-the-stars

quote:  “Did we change the Earth’s climate?” is the wrong question. It’s been decades now since our most advanced scientific capacities provided the basic answer to this basic question.

Yes, we changed the planet’s climate.

But for reasons saturated with folly, the forces of science denial have created a fog of doubt where none actually exists. So in the popular consciousness, this question — “Did we change the Earth’s climate?” — still lives on. It feeds off political polarization and tribal inclinations.

But now, under the light of the stars, we can see this “Did we?” question was always the wrong one to ask. So what’s the right question? That turns out to be simple.

“What else did we expect to happen?”

We built a world girdling civilization that consumes a sizable fraction of the total biosphere’s power. Yes, that changed the planet’s climate. What else did we expect? That’s what happens when a species becomes really successful — when it becomes truly planetary.

This new question becomes the obvious one to ask for three reasons.”

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  6883
Joined  22-02-2014

15 September 2018 09:59

keep ‘em coming unsmoked!

To take this a step further, we might even ask “Who cares if man’s activities are causing climate change?”. Regardless of the causes, we have to try to fix the problem, no?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

15 September 2018 12:37

icehorse - 15 September 2018 09:59 AM

keep ‘em coming unsmoked!

To take this a step further, we might even ask “Who cares if man’s activities are causing climate change?”. Regardless of the causes, we have to try to fix the problem, no?

‘Fighting to prevent catastrophic tipping point”  -  https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/amazon-forest-guardians-fight-to-prevent-catastrophic-tipping-point

At this PBS site, see 10 minute video and full transcript aired on the news hour 2 days ago -

quote:  “In Brazil’s Maranhao State, indigenous groups are battling a powerful logging mafia to protect the region’s remaining and fragile Amazon rainforest. After years of decline, deforestation is again on the rise, threatening a terrifying climate change tipping point. Special correspondent Sam Eaton reports with support from the Pulitzer Center, in collaboration with The Nation and PRI’s The World.” - (end quote)

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

15 October 2018 11:18

“It’s like a deafening piercing smoke alarm going off in the kitchen.”

Last night on 60 Minutes, did anyone see Trump’s responses to Lesley Stahl’s questions about climate change?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-interview-60-minutes-full-transcript-lesley-stahl-jamal-khashoggi-james-mattis-brett-kavanaugh-vladimir-putin-2018-10-14/

quote from 60 Minutes:  Lesley Stahl: Do you still think that climate change is a hoax?

President Donald Trump: I think something’s happening. Something’s changing and it’ll change back again. I don’t think it’s a hoax, I think there’s probably a difference. But I don’t know that it’s manmade. I will say this. I don’t wanna give trillions and trillions of dollars. I don’t wanna lose millions and millions of jobs. I don’t wanna be put at a disadvantage.

Lesley Stahl: I wish you could go to Greenland, watch these huge chunks of ice just falling into the ocean, raising the sea levels.

President Donald Trump: And you don’t know whether or not that would have happened with or without man. You don’t know.

Lesley Stahl: Well, your scientists, your scientists—

President Donald Trump: No, we have—

Lesley Stahl: At NOAA and NASA—

President Donald Trump: We have scientists that disagree with that.

Lesley Stahl: You know, I—I was thinking what if he said, “No, I’ve seen the hurricane situations, I’ve changed my mind. There really is climate change.” And I thought, “Wow, what an impact.”

President Donald Trump: Well—I’m not denying.

Lesley Stahl: What an impact that would make. 

President Donald Trump: I’m not denying climate change. But it could very well go back. You know, we’re talkin’ about over a millions—

Lesley Stahl: But that’s denying it.

President Donald Trump:—of years. They say that we had hurricanes that were far worse than what we just had with Michael.

Lesley Stahl: Who says that? “They say”?

President Donald Trump: People say. People say that in the—

Lesley Stahl: Yeah, but what about the scientists who say it’s worse than ever?

President Donald Trump: You’d have to show me the scientists because they have a very big political agenda, Lesley.

Lesley Stahl: I can’t bring them in.

President Donald Trump: Look, scientists also have a political agenda. (end quote from 60 Minutes interview)

Elizabeth Kolbert writes in the Oct. 22 New Yorker:  https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/10/22/what-is-donald-trumps-response-to-the-uns-dire-climate-report

quote:  “It’s like a deafening, piercing smoke alarm going off in the kitchen,” Erik Solheim, the executive director of the U.N. Environment Program, told the Washington Post.”

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

15 October 2018 11:22

hard to know where to start with how many ways in which every frikkin thing trump says is wrong. That said,

Fighting climate change ought to create many more jobs than it eliminates. There simply aren’t that many coal miners and well diggers.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6532
Joined  15-02-2007

16 October 2018 21:31

icehorse - 15 October 2018 11:22 AM

Fighting climate change ought to create many more jobs than it eliminates. There simply aren’t that many coal miners and well diggers.

It’s not about the jobs.  It’s about profit.  And the profit is not going to the people.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

17 October 2018 06:45

Jefe - 16 October 2018 09:31 PM
icehorse - 15 October 2018 11:22 AM

It’s not about the jobs.  It’s about profit.  And the profit is not going to the people.

bingo!

Mr Wayne

Mr Wayne
Total Posts:  754
Joined  01-10-2014

30 October 2018 06:59

It seems that we are still discovering fire if that includes understanding the effects of fire’s products.

We cannot expect to stay in control of something if we do not know how it affects us.
In a few years when the Arctic Ocean is ice-free, the darker water at its surface will absorb sunlight 24 hours a day in the summers and the water will warm enough to change the global climate.
Expect the tundra to melt and release both CO2 and methane enough to double the greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere.
Expect the Greenland Ice to melt a lot faster.
Expect the ocean level to rise.
Expect saltwater to intrude into freshwater aquifers.
Expect droughts and heat waves. 
Expect food shortages.
Expect the children to die way too soon.

I expect an unsustainable population to decrease.