< 1 2 3 > 

WTF NOAA?!

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  2942
Joined  26-03-2013

13 September 2018 12:10

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher - 13 September 2018 09:42 AM

Nice trick, but maybe you should quote what was clarified, not what was changed. 

It was clarified because the problem is bigger than that.  There is the carpet in that office, the furniture in there and other areas, the dry wall to the floor, and so forth.  Given where the water comes in from under the foundation in the bathroom, a pump is necessary to capture it before spreads.  In any case, unless you have a way to shelve roughly 3000 more books in a 17x13 room when the usable walls already have book shelves up, f*ck your for your presumptions as well.

And, by the way, they are already off the floor.  Just perhaps not enough to cover an event that might put, say, 4 or 5 inches of water in my basement, instead of the carpet soaking half-inch, like last time.  It’s hard to believe, isn’t it, that I would initially focus on what I value most at the expense, perhaps, of expressing the rest of the problem.

Silly Rabbit, tricks are for kids.  I quoted it prior to the edit.  That was what I was working with.  The joke didn’t make sense on its own and only after I’d posted it did I realize you’d changed it so I threw it in a quote box for context.  These things happen when people edit their posts.  They risk letting people walk away with the first unedited version and they reply to the quote that was quoted.  It’s an issue of timing.

When we make the decisions we make we’re forced to deal with the consequences.  And it all depends on how we deal with our environment.  In the way we convey what we mean and the way we accept information.  And accept that it isn’t always perfect and humans do the best they can with what they’re working with.  Where we store our shit and how we prepare for storms will vary.  And anyone who has been through a flooding event knows full well the importance of acquiring the proper equipment.  We all knew this storm was coming.  It’s an issue of structure.

I just wonder why the editing process only happens after the posts are submitted.  In this case it’s as though, given a second thought, there was some advantage to the sound of losing thousands of dollars on vacation fees than losing thousands of dollars on stacks of books.  As though they’re not equally offensive when lives are at stake.  What didn’t seem offensive on that second glance, however, was the “So f*ck you” part of the equation.  That was left in.  Interesting choice.

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher
Total Posts:  390
Joined  13-02-2017

13 September 2018 14:41

Silly Rabbit, tricks are for kids. I quoted it prior to the edit.  That was what I was working with.  The joke didn’t make sense on its own and only after I’d posted it did I realize you’d changed it so I threw it in a quote box for context.  These things happen when people edit their posts.  They risk letting people walk away with the first unedited version and they reply to the quote that was quoted.  It’s an issue of timing.

This is just stupid.  Why were you even working with the original post “prior to the edit” when the final edits had been made by 06:01, Skipshot had quoted them at 07:16, and you posted your joke at 07:34, with—if I am understanding you correctly—the quoted material from my post put in at 7:47, for context—or in any case, put in no sooner than 07:34?  If Skipshot, who posted 18 minutes before you, could only quote from the final post, how could you quote from the original one?  And more to the point, why would you when the final post is already up for everyone to see, including and specifically the person to whom it’s addressed, who’d already quoted it?

The rest of what you say is even worse and barely warrants a response. 

Who says my posts aren’t edited before as well as after posting?  Maybe I just suck at editing and have to do it on both ends.  And who said anything about a “vacation” costing ‘thousands of dollars in fees’?  I only mentioned a “trip” I’d cancelled because “thousands of dollars are at stake.”  And why would I take the insult out when the insult was intended but a misstatement of the problem was not?  And so on. These interpretations and post hoc justifications of yours are just pathetic.

I’ve owned up to Skipshot the role my own assumptions and interpretations have played in this spill-over.  Why don’t you just own up to yours, or drop it and move on.

When we make the decisions we make we’re forced to deal with the consequences.  And it all depends on how we deal with our environment.  In the way we convey what we mean and the way we accept information.  And accept that it isn’t always perfect and humans do the best they can with what they’re working with.  Where we store our shit and how we prepare for storms will vary.  And anyone who has been through a flooding event knows full well the importance of acquiring the proper equipment.  We all knew this storm was coming.  It’s an issue of structure.

My god, who knew?  I wish you’d posted this before I’d made my decisions…

[ Edited: 13 September 2018 14:46 by TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher]

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher
Joined  13-02-2017

13 September 2018 14:44

Thanks.

Three thousand dollars in books is a little vague. I can picture a half million soggy second-hand romance novels floating in a sewage bouillion-base but that is probably not what’s at stake.

Exactly so.  Another good reason to change it and just leave it at “thousands of dollars are at stake” instead of detailing only one potentially misleading reason why this is so.  Besides, my mind-candy vice is fantasy novels, from Lord of the Rings down to Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance.  Romance novels, that’s my mom’s thing.

Are you serious about the podcast?  There’s a podcast associated with the forum?!

Good luck on the deck.

[ Edited: 13 September 2018 14:59 by TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher]

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1001
Joined  01-11-2014

13 September 2018 15:30

I think there is a simple explanation for the weather forecast discrepancy.

Since we live in a time of “fake news,” “alternative facts,” and when global warming has been declared a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese, perhaps predictions of hurricanes in weather forecasts are being governmentally revised, even as we speak. Maybe Trump and the Republicans are leaning on NOAA to provide “alternative weather predictions.”

In the realm of all possibilities, there is a chance that hurricane Florence could suddenly dissipate and a forecast of a “50% chance of showers on Saturday and a 60% chance of showers likely on Sunday,” could pan out. Why be so negative? God can work miracles.

There’s no point in upsetting people with these dour weather predictions calculated from something as suspicious and godless as science. We could be experiencing the start of a newer, better, “faith-based” national weather service. All we have to do pray for good weather.

[ Edited: 13 September 2018 15:35 by Cheshire Cat]

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  2942
Joined  26-03-2013

13 September 2018 15:43

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher - 13 September 2018 02:41 PM

If Skipshot, who posted 18 minutes before you, could only quote from the final post, how could you quote from the original one?

Easy.  You wrote it this morning and I quoted it.  Then you revised your post.  I had, by then, copied it into the Word program I use when I’m working out a response or don’t have time and leave it for later.  I never looked back at your post until after and noticed you’d omitted the part I’d responded to. 

I’m guessing none of those books were detective novels.

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher
Joined  13-02-2017

13 September 2018 16:06

LadyJane - 13 September 2018 03:43 PM
TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher - 13 September 2018 02:41 PM

If Skipshot, who posted 18 minutes before you, could only quote from the final post, how could you quote from the original one?

Easy.  You wrote it this morning and I quoted it.  Then you revised your post.  I had, by then, copied it into the Word program I use when I’m working out a response or don’t have time and leave it for later.  I never looked back at your post until after and noticed you’d omitted the part I’d responded to. 

I’m guessing none of those books were detective novels.

I don’t doubt there is an easy explanation, just its relevance.  And the relevance of the “joke"itself, which in any case was an attempt to denigrate when not privy to enough of the facts, even given the unedited post.  Just because your posting style in this case made you look either stupid or insensitive is hardly my fault.  Maybe you should read threads when you post instead of hours before, ya know, just in case…

[ Edited: 13 September 2018 16:22 by TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher]

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1235
Joined  31-10-2015

13 September 2018 19:09

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher - 12 September 2018 12:53 PM

According to the National Weather Service, I have a 50% chance of “showers” on Saturday and a 60% chance of “showers likely” on Sunday—a pretty typical weekend, no big deal.  According to the National Hurricane Center, I can expect anywhere from 2-4 or 4-6 inches of rain, depending on where the dividing band from Hurricane Florence plays out (I’m right on the edge).  Now, I get the inherent unknowns in predicting the weather, but what the hell.  Do I have typical weekend weather coming up, with a more or less even chance of showers, or do I have a potentially record soaking event coming up, brought on by a hurricane? 

These forecasts are from the same government agency—NOAA.  Are they even talking to each other?

Good luck with your property in this storm. Even in parched California where I live, I have an extremely capable pump positioned in a tank deep into the crawlspace, with backup battery and alarm, because I want to prevent any further damage to structure down there when it does occasionally rain. It’s an old house whose floors aren’t terribly flat. Your floors might also benefit from close attention. Unfortunately, it ran me close to 8 grand, including the trenching.

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher
Joined  13-02-2017

14 September 2018 04:44

nonverbal - 13 September 2018 07:09 PM

According to the National Weather Service, I have a 50% chance of “showers” on Saturday and a 60% chance of “showers likely” on Sunday—a pretty typical weekend, no big deal.  According to the National Hurricane Center, I can expect anywhere from 2-4 or 4-6 inches of rain, depending on where the dividing band from Hurricane Florence plays out (I’m right on the edge).  Now, I get the inherent unknowns in predicting the weather, but what the hell.  Do I have typical weekend weather coming up, with a more or less even chance of showers, or do I have a potentially record soaking event coming up, brought on by a hurricane? 

These forecasts are from the same government agency—NOAA.  Are they even talking to each other?

Good luck with your property in this storm. Even in parched California where I live, I have an extremely capable pump positioned in a tank deep into the crawlspace, with backup battery and alarm, because I want to prevent any further damage to structure down there when it does occasionally rain. It’s an old house whose floors aren’t terribly flat. Your floors might also benefit from close attention. Unfortunately, it ran me close to 8 grand, including the trenching.

Thanks.  Redoing the French drains and gutter piping cost $10,000, and I asked the contractor about a sump pump at the time, but he assured me the drains would work.  So far they have.  I hope if they don’t a sump system doesn’t cost another eight grand.  I’d think not since in theory at least they could use the existing cut in the slab, where the water came in once the old drains stopped working.  My precaution now is basically a poor man’s sump set up that I have to manually run and monitor, should water start coming in.  So certainly doable, but not ideal.

[ Edited: 14 September 2018 04:53 by TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher]

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5969
Joined  22-02-2005

14 September 2018 06:41

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher - 13 September 2018 02:44 PM

Are you serious about the podcast?  There’s a podcast associated with the forum?!

Our in-house podcast is a modest affair. It is named after our former haunts. So far, they have been poster interviews and experimental podcast parties. Moderated debates between patrons are also possible. They reside here:  The Project Reason Forum Podcast

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4856
Joined  19-08-2010

14 September 2018 11:20

Nhoj Morley - 14 September 2018 06:41 AM

Our in-house podcast is a modest affair. It is named after our former haunts. So far, they have been poster interviews and experimental podcast parties. Moderated debates between patrons are also possible. They reside here:  The Project Reason Forum Podcast

Remember back then… happy days. When life was so simple?

[ Edited: 14 September 2018 11:23 by MARTIN_UK]

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3468
Joined  20-11-2013

14 September 2018 20:23

4 reported deaths so far; how are you books?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5969
Joined  22-02-2005

14 September 2018 21:24

MARTIN_UK - 14 September 2018 11:20 AM

Remember back then… happy days. When life was so simple?

He was tightly clenched about the idea.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  6673
Joined  22-02-2014

15 September 2018 10:12

LJ:

I just wonder why the editing process only happens after the posts are submitted.  In this case it’s as though, given a second thought, there was some advantage to the sound of losing thousands of dollars on vacation fees than losing thousands of dollars on stacks of books.  As though they’re not equally offensive when lives are at stake.  What didn’t seem offensive on that second glance, however, was the “So f*ck you” part of the equation.  That was left in.  Interesting choice.

How about because we’re here to discuss and debate? Here’s how I think it often goes:

1 - A poster hears something of interest, thinks it through, and has an opinion.
2 - The poster - in good faith - creates a thread.
3 - Other posters have different takes, and perhaps we all learn something.

What I often see here is a lack of good faith in the arguments. Anyone criticizing the OP ought not be spending time on this forum. Instead they ought to be working with the red cross in the Carolinas or digging wells for poor people in Africa or some such.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16544
Joined  15-02-2008

15 September 2018 12:18

icehorse - 15 September 2018 10:12 AM

LJ:

How about because we’re here to discuss and debate? Here’s how I think it often goes:

1 - A poster hears something of interest, thinks it through, and has an opinion.

What I often see here is a lack of good faith in the arguments. Anyone criticizing the OP ought not be spending time on this forum. Instead they ought to be working with the red cross in the Carolinas or digging wells for poor people in Africa or some such.

Nah, LJ’s post was just some self-righteous digs at anal for the thumping she got on other threads. Watch the news during and after these events and everyone is crying about what they might lose or how they lost everything and have to rebuild etc.. Concern for other people is an inverse square of the distance between strangers.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  6673
Joined  22-02-2014

15 September 2018 12:47

GAD - 15 September 2018 12:18 PM
icehorse - 15 September 2018 10:12 AM

LJ:

Nah, LJ’s post was just some self-righteous digs at anal for the thumping she got on other threads. Watch the news during and after these events and everyone is crying about what they might lose or how they lost everything and have to rebuild etc.. Concern for other people is an inverse square of the distance between strangers.

yup

< 1 2 3 >