1 2 > 

Satan gave man love. Was it worth the hate?

Greatest I am

Greatest I am
Total Posts:  187
Joined  26-07-2013

14 September 2018 05:08

Satan gave man love. Was it worth the hate?

Adam thought so. He instantly and without argument or hesitation ate of that knowledge when Eve offered love to Adam.

Without Satan causing Original Sin, mankind could no know of love or hate as love and hate are subject to being good or evil.

Would you do as Adam did?

Was Satan right in opening our eyes to love and hate?

Should we venerate Satan more than Yahweh who tried to deny mankind love?

Regards
DL

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6747
Joined  15-05-2009

14 September 2018 06:44

I am speaking metaphorically here. 

The story says that the tree of the apple gave “knowledge of good and evil.”  I’d argue that Adam and Eve could love or hate before they could judge whether these emotions were good or evil.  Same with people today.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16544
Joined  15-02-2008

14 September 2018 06:54

Satan rules and Yahweh drools.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2460
Joined  19-01-2015

14 September 2018 09:43

more knowledge is always better.
though all the snake did was enabling - given how boring the Garden of Eden must have been, I’m sure A&E would have had a bite sooner or later.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  4841
Joined  28-05-2009

14 September 2018 22:42

Well I do love satan…

Greatest I am

Greatest I am
Joined  26-07-2013

15 September 2018 06:14

hannahtoo - 14 September 2018 06:44 AM

The story says that the tree of the apple gave “knowledge of good and evil.”  I’d argue that Adam and Eve could love or hate before they could judge whether these emotions were good or evil.  Same with people today.

Perhaps true, but how would they know which was better to do, love or hate, before partaking of the knowledge of good and evil?

To them, hate would have the same value as love since they did not know of either.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Greatest I am
Joined  26-07-2013

15 September 2018 06:14

GAD - 14 September 2018 06:54 AM

Yes but is that a good thing?

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Greatest I am
Joined  26-07-2013

15 September 2018 06:16

Twissel - 14 September 2018 09:43 AM

more knowledge is always better.
though all the snake did was enabling - given how boring the Garden of Eden must have been, I’m sure A&E would have had a bite sooner or later.

I agree that knowledge is better than ignorance and not having a moral sense.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Greatest I am
Joined  26-07-2013

15 September 2018 06:16

Brick Bungalow - 14 September 2018 10:42 PM

Well I do love satan…

Why do you love her?

Regards
DL

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

15 September 2018 09:25

Greatest I am - 15 September 2018 06:14 AM

Regards
DL

Better to be a slave to my own desires then a slave to god.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

15 September 2018 14:21

Perhaps true, but how would they know which was better to do, love or hate, before partaking of the knowledge of good and evil?

To them, hate would have the same value as love since they did not know of either.

Regards
DL

I’m not quibbling with which emotion is better to follow.  But I’m arguing that the Bible doesn’t support your OP.  That is, Satan did not give man love, God did.

If we really want to get into it, there are different kinds of love in the Bible.  This has been explicated extensively.  The English translations show obvious differences.

1Tim 6:10   ...for the love of money is the root of all kinds of evils.

Matt 22:37-40
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.  (Jesus is hearkening back to Deuteronomy, which has the wording slightly different.)

Anyway, you’d have to define love before we could talk about the whys and wherefores.  Interesting that loving God is actually a commandment.

Greatest I am

Greatest I am
Joined  26-07-2013

16 September 2018 19:38

GAD - 15 September 2018 09:25 AM

Regards
DL

I agree.

That is Gnostic Christian thinking as well.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Greatest I am
Joined  26-07-2013

16 September 2018 19:42

hannahtoo - 15 September 2018 02:21 PM

Regards
DL

I’m not quibbling with which emotion is better to follow.  But I’m arguing that the Bible doesn’t support your OP.  That is, Satan did not give man love, God did.

If we really want to get into it, there are different kinds of love in the Bible.  This has been explicated extensively.  The English translations show obvious differences.

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.  (Jesus is hearkening back to Deuteronomy, which has the wording slightly different.)

Anyway, you’d have to define love before we could talk about the whys and wherefores.  Interesting that loving God is actually a commandment.

If I have to define love and hate, you are not worth my time.

To exercise free will and choose good instead of evil—or love over hate, one must know what good and evil and love and hate are. Right?

God denied that knowledge and thus denied A & E free will and the knowledge of love and how to love.

The bible does support this view and that is likely why Christians call Adams sin a happy fault and necessary for god’s plan.

Regards
DL

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3287
Joined  26-01-2010

17 September 2018 02:19

Regards
DL

Some gods are personifications of desires. Making desires out to be gods was a way to avoid personal responsibility, in one sense.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

17 September 2018 07:38

Poldano - 17 September 2018 02:19 AM

Regards
DL

Some gods are personifications of desires. Making desires out to be gods was a way to avoid personal responsibility, in one sense.

Given that all gods are human inventions they are all personifications of desires. Rape, rob and murder because you like it and you are evil, do it for god and you are blessed.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

17 September 2018 15:27

Greatest I am - 16 September 2018 07:42 PM
hannahtoo - 15 September 2018 02:21 PM

Regards
DL

If I have to define love and hate, you are not worth my time.

To exercise free will and choose good instead of evil—or love over hate, one must know what good and evil and love and hate are. Right?

God denied that knowledge and thus denied A & E free will and the knowledge of love and how to love.

The bible does support this view and that is likely why Christians call Adams sin a happy fault and necessary for god’s plan.

Regards
DL

OK, sorry to be pedantic about definitions.  I’ll assume we’re on the same page on those.  That we are speaking of love in its positive aspects, not obsession nor jealous passion.

This story, I’m sure you’ll agree, is the ultimate allegory with so many possible layers of meaning.  And it is interpreted so many ways.  It’s always been my Bible favorite for that reason.

Yes, God commanded Adam not to eat from the tree of Knowledge, or he would die.  However, this is a bit misleading because later the Bible says Adam and Eve need to be excluded from the Garden, since if they stayed, they might eat from the tree of Eternal Life.  This would not be an issue unless they were already able to die.  So the implication is that they were created mortal.  God did sorta make it sound like they’d die right away from tasting the tree of knowledge, like from poison.  Confusing.  Especially since so many interpretations claim that their disobedience introduced death into the world.

In any case, since God is supposed to have created everything and know everything there is to know, this whole episode would have be seen as a set up, that is, a learning experience for A and E.  In this sense, I don’t think we can credit the serpent with giving man love.  God made Satan. God made the rules. God knew what Satan would do.  He knew what A and E would do.  They gained self-awareness. They learned they were prone to being disobedient and that negative consequences follow misbehavior.  They also learned that not everyone (or every creature) is trustworthy.  At this stage, there was no means for them to atone, just shame.

[ Edited: 17 September 2018 15:29 by hannahtoo]

1 2 >