U.S. Opposition to the International Criminal Court

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8064
Joined  20-02-2006

29 September 2018 11:41

https://www.globalpolicy.org/international-justice/the-international-criminal-court/us-opposition-to-the-icc.html

quote:  “Washington, however, has no intention to join the ICC, due to its concern about possible charges against US nationals.”

For a current article on this topic, see TIME magazine September 24, 2018 available in most libraries.

I wonder if the #MeToo movement will reach the International Criminal Court? 

https://www.readingthepictures.org/2013/10/my-lai-sexual-assault-and-the-black-blouse-girl-forty-five-years-later-one-of-americas-most-iconic-photos-hides-truth-in-plain-sight/ 

quote:  “To understand why the photo has become generalized, one needs to understand how the role of rape and sexual violence at My Lai has been downplayed and noted only generally, the significance slipping away with the years.

What happened to the Black Blouse Girl was not the only incident of sexual violence that happened at My Lai. In their historical overview of the massacre, James Olson and Randy Roberts compile information about sexual violence from the Peers Inquiry to produce a list of 20 acts of rape based on eyewitness testimony. The victims documented on this list ranged from age 10-45. Of these women and girls, nine were under the age of eighteen. Many of these assaults were gang rapes and many involved sexual torture. This list does not even include attempted rapes, such as the assault of the girl in the black blouse, and given that most witnesses were killed during the massacre, we may only guess at how many other women and girls experienced sexual violence in the final minutes before their deaths.”  (end quote)

Kavenaugh was in knee-pants when this happened?

https://www.amazon.com/Kill-Anything-That-Moves-American/dp/1250045061/ref=sr_1_1/138-3925694-7825350?ie=UTF8&qid=1538246373&sr=8-1&keywords=nick+turse+kill+anything+that+moves

quote:  “Based on classified documents and first-person interviews, a startling history of the American war on Vietnamese civilians

The American Empire Project
Winner of the Ridenhour Prize for Reportorial Distinction

“Americans have long been taught that events such as the notorious My Lai massacre were isolated incidents in the Vietnam War, carried out by just a few “bad apples.” But as award-winning journalist and historian Nick Turse demonstrates in this groundbreaking investigation, violence against Vietnamese noncombatants was not at all exceptional during the conflict. Rather, it was pervasive and systematic, the predictable consequence of official orders to “kill anything that moves.”

Drawing on more than a decade of research into secret Pentagon archives and extensive interviews with American veterans and Vietnamese survivors, Turse reveals for the first time the workings of a military machine that resulted in millions of innocent civilians killed and wounded-what one soldier called “a My Lai a month.” Devastating and definitive, Kill Anything That Moves finally brings us face-to-face with the truth of a war that haunts America to this day.”

[ Edited: 29 September 2018 11:57 by unsmoked]

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2594
Joined  19-01-2015

01 October 2018 00:42

Having a body like the ICC is a two-edged sword.
It might stop some bad actors from doing particularly bad stuff, but once they’ve crossed the Rubicon of massive violence, there is no incentive for them to ever step down and risk being extradited to The Hague.
Countries with a working system of peaceful transfers of power, however, should absolutely bind themselves to the norms upheld by the ICC, if for no other reason but to put themselves in contrast with the brutality of their opponents.