1 2 3 >  Last ›

Prologue to Bill Maher & Larry Charles

ZZYZX

ZZYZX
Total Posts:  29
Joined  04-06-2017

03 October 2018 18:16

I haven’t even started with the actual podcast, but Sam talked a lot about Brett Kavanaugh before he introduced his guests. I want to point out that Sam said Kavanaugh surely must have known how poorly his lying at the hearing would be received because he was a judge, but must have thought it was necessary anyways.

I was curious about this too and several days ago I simply read his basic career history on Wikipedia. Here is what I concluded is likely from that read: Kavanaugh got his law degree and from then on he became a Republican Operative. He eventually got a job in the White House with George W Bush where he basically gave them lawyer degree opinions to do whatever they wanted. He was rewarded with the Appeal Court Judgeship and has done that along with teaching some college courses until his nomination to the Supreme Court. Unless Wikipedia skipped something, he has never been a trial judge or prosecutor or defender. Therefore I conclude that as a man of average intelligence, he didn’t realize his lies would be so obvious to all.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  767
Joined  20-07-2017

03 October 2018 18:26

Sam articulated in his own way something that I sense too:  the blatantness of his lies is in a way insulting— insulting to the committee and insulting to all of our intelligence.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  18004
Joined  15-02-2008

03 October 2018 20:19

None of which has anything to do with if he did assault Ford or not because there is zero evidence but a billion websites making money on personal opinions.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Joined  20-07-2017

03 October 2018 20:36

Kavanaugh found himself in a difficult situation, and caved - resorting to lies instead of facing the truth head on.

Scott Mayers

Scott Mayers
Total Posts:  8
Joined  05-12-2017

04 October 2018 04:40

I disagree with Sam on Kavanaugh. I’m more left of center than most but am a skeptic first and foremost with and ability to step outside to look in on any position without bias of my own opinion. As soon as we heard Trump propose this guy, whatever means to present accusations regarding him has to be based on what the guy stands for today, not on what may be presumed about him back in 1981 when this was clearly not charged of him back then. Besides being potentially true of his accusers, society can clearly (and has) already deemed what they choose about anyone based on their predisposition. If one doesn’t like another, simply look at ANY time in their life that you can find dirt on to destroy their reputation. Unless anyone is actually perfect, if we had the capacity to discover, we’d be able to find some dirt on anyone. As such, you cannot even accept the pretence of the accusation.

Contrary to today’s claims, women were and always have been treated more ‘believed’ by default regarding victim accusation merely on the stereotype that they are meek and childlike as though ALL women ONLY mated with big tough males. If this was the case, then therein lies the problem. If women prefer ‘equals’ than only opt to be with equals. AND, if this were already presumed of actual women’s internal desires, we’d have an evolved society of men and women who EQUALLY ABUSE as they do VICTIMIZE ...IN the court system. This is clearly not the case given the absurd imbalance of men convicted to women.

What would have been better to handle Kavanaugh in an inquisition is to first determine what particularly he believed in regarding, say ‘accusations’ by women and whether we should default to assign trust to the accuser and require the accused to disprove this for special cases. THEN, you raise an accusation brought against him to see if he’d accept the same circumstances BEFORE the accusation is brought immediate to the public. This way you establish his hypocrisy and he’d be obliged to accept his pretrial inquisition. But this was not done. As such, the SUDDEN charges brought against him are sufficient reasonable doubt to the accuser(s) BY FAR!

I don’t care about who this guy was. I personally would not prefer him in your Supreme Court but know that even the way he was even empowered to be presented by your president (as with our Prime Ministers here in Canada) would have to be what is questioned. If you know that the Senate will take him regardless, any severe attack in the public by utilizing sexual assault charges has to place doubt upon the timing alone. And if you think this is appropriate behavior, then you better be willing to accept this of yourself should anyone come along and accuse you personally of something. HYPOCRISY is a bigger crime in politics. You can’t assert ‘degrees’ of conditions either unless ‘degrees’ of FAITH are what you stood for prior to the logic.

Scott Mayers

Scott Mayers
Joined  05-12-2017

04 October 2018 04:45

P.S. Why is this site forcing me to correct my spelling to European English? Is this not the actual Sam Harris forum? AND, in this podcast, my browser here in Canada won’t play past the comment Sam made about accepting the general concern about the feminist uprising. (about 6 mins in). [I have to ask to either get these fixed or alert others of potential “honey potting” [redirected us to unofficial sites to determine who we are without actually knowing we are not on the site and being read.] cool smirk

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6511
Joined  22-02-2005

04 October 2018 07:39

Scott Mayers - 04 October 2018 04:45 AM

P.S. Why is this site forcing me to correct my spelling to European English? Is this not the actual Sam Harris forum?

This the original Sam Harris Forum. The one he pays for. I’ve never heard your complaint before. I’m not aware of language being controlled by the site.

No honey-potting here either. Podcast should stream in full or try playing a download.

Scott Mayers

Scott Mayers
Joined  05-12-2017

04 October 2018 07:58

Nhoj Morley - 04 October 2018 07:39 AM

P.S. Why is this site forcing me to correct my spelling to European English? Is this not the actual Sam Harris forum?

This the original Sam Harris Forum. The one he pays for. I’ve never heard your complaint before. I’m not aware of language being controlled by the site.

No honey-potting here either. Podcast should stream in full or try playing a download.

Thank you. I had to state this because I always prefer American spelling but for whatever reason, corrections on some of these sites assume European (‘official’ Canadian) English. As with misdirecting (honeypotting), it IS happening in some places. I found one by accident (I won’t say which) by following headers back to sources for a forum. It lead me to a distinct version but with different comments. I noticed a while back how that particular site changed to a limited audience of oddly mostly Canadian-only for an
American site. When I discovered this ‘real’ site a while back, I found the larger audience site containing the Americans,....some I used to know when I first went to it. 

I got the download and it played. Thank you. What is the ‘new’ site? I still get directed to this one.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3494
Joined  21-10-2016

04 October 2018 08:12

P.S. Why is this site forcing me to correct my spelling to European English?

My computer and browser default settings are set to Canadian/UK spelling.  When I post to this forum, Canadian spellings are highlighted as being spelling errors (which I ignore), so I assumed the forum is set for American English.  Could it be that there is a setting in your browser that is conflicting?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6511
Joined  22-02-2005

04 October 2018 08:13

The Boss has started a Waking Up meditation-topics site. There was once a second Harris site called Project Reason. Reddit has a Harris Forum. This one is the real thing and has been since 2005.

hillz

hillz
Total Posts:  1
Joined  04-10-2018

04 October 2018 11:36

I watched the initial statements from Ford and Cavanaugh. My impression was that neither one was lying. On the other hand when I watched Bill Clinton awhile back it was obvious to me that Bill was a lier. I write this to say that my perception is correct sometimes and I would like to refine it.

Sam claims it was obvious Cavanaugh was lying under oath. I would appreciate if Sam substantiates his view by providing URLs and times where in his opinion Cavanaugh is lying under oath. I can then review the video carefully and adjust my opinion. I agree, btw, that C did not want another FBI investigation, but it is not a lie.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Total Posts:  352
Joined  14-09-2017

04 October 2018 12:36

I agree with Sam’s points as to the lack of motivation for Ford to lie.  I don’t think she is fabricating a story.  But 35+ years ago?!  I don’t know anybody who hasn’t done something stupid in their past - something they probably regret and can look at and say “that isn’t who I am, that was strange even to me”.  Sam said something either in the prologue or podcast about the “stark encounter with the idiot you used to be”.  I’ve had that experience.  Hasn’t everyone?  Beyond all the political theater I just think it’s not fair.  You can’t destroy someone’s life over this.  It doesn’t matter if it’s a job interview or a criminal trial.  I’m also going with the assumption that something did happen (not rape or attempted rape) and it was in fact Kavanaugh. 
I’m also assuming that this is the only legitimate incident of this nature that happened in the 35+ years since. 

mapadofu

mapadofu
Joined  20-07-2017

05 October 2018 05:41

A compilation of Kavanaugh’s lies for motivated reasonersto pick apart and dismiss and downplay

https://boingboing.net/2018/10/03/kavanaugh-lied.html

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

05 October 2018 06:35

mapadofu - 05 October 2018 05:41 AM

A compilation of Kavanaugh’s lies for motivated reasonersto pick apart and dismiss and downplay

https://boingboing.net/2018/10/03/kavanaugh-lied.html

Easily picked apart.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Joined  20-07-2017

05 October 2018 07:31

As I implied if you bring that minset to the situation, you’ll find what you already know is there

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

05 October 2018 07:33

mapadofu - 05 October 2018 07:31 AM

As I implied if you bring that minset to the situation, you’ll find what you already know is there

Exactly.

1 2 3 >  Last ›