unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  7953
Joined  20-02-2006

10 October 2018 12:05

nonverbal - 09 October 2018 04:57 PM
TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher - 09 October 2018 04:40 PM

One smart frakin’ mouse—an anecdote. 

We live in the woods, so we get mice in the house.  No matter what we do, they get in.  So naturally we try to catch them, but being humane lovers of all things great and small, we use Mouse Cubes, a live trap with a slopping door that the mouse crawls under to get to the food, so it falls back down behind it, sealing it in.  It’s a clever little device that helps us get rid of the mice and preserve our consciences as well (those mice, after all, are just trying to make a living like anyone else).

Well, as clever as that trap is, there is a clever mouse.  One time last week I checked the trap, only to find it turned over on its side and the bait gone.  The door would swing sideways this way, preventing it from slamming down behind the mouse.  I told myself I must have set it wrong, suspicious though I was that I hadn’t.  So I resent the trap.

Last night while watching TV, I heard the trap moving in the kitchen (the little stinkers love the kitchen).  I got up and found the trap on its side, but with the bait still in it.  Mousus interuptus.  So my wife had an idea.  We wedged the trap between a cooler we’d left out and the cabinet baseboard, this way the mouse couldn’t turn it over.  TV watching resumed.

Not five minutes later we heard the trap moving again.  This time the stinker had pulled the trap out from between the cooler and the cabinet, then turned it over, but we got there before he could get the bait.  So we reset it, this time wedging it in and taping it to the floor.  TV watching resumed

Bingo.  Quite a while later, after I’d gone to bed, my wife heard the door clank down and sure enough, she checked the trap and there was the mouse.  Apparently mouse rationality only goes so far, with its instinct for food overriding its avoidance of a trap, if there is no foreseeable way to avoid it.  Call it a delayed or frustrated gratification problem, not a problem of mouse cleverness.  In any case, I took the mouse out and drove it down to the grassy right-of-way the power lines run through in order to release it.  A mouse that clever surely deserves to go free.

In retrospect I almost wish I’d kept the thing ‘til morning, then gone out and bought an aquarium to keep it as a pet.  But on a second thought a mouse that clever deserves to be free, to make it on its own in the world through its own resourcefulness, in the wild where it belongs.  But damn, that was one smart mouse.  Nothing but respect for the little stinker, as annoying as they are.

Smart, no doubt. But did the mouse actually understand the trap?

Here’s what happened:  The mouse who had figured out how the trap works, realized that when you taped it to the floor he couldn’t move it.  He went home and said to his nagging wife, “Shush for a minute.  There’s one of your favorite treats in a little contraption out there wedged between the cooler and the cabinet.”  Moments later there was a satisfying ‘clank!’

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1022
Joined  01-11-2014

10 October 2018 13:16

It’s funny, we find mice cute but rats scary. They are pretty similar except for size.

Would you catch and release rats if they were in your house?

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2534
Joined  21-10-2016

10 October 2018 13:31

unsmoked - 10 October 2018 12:05 PM

Here’s what happened:  The mouse who had figured out how the trap works, realized that when you taped it to the floor he couldn’t move it.  He went home and said to his nagging wife, “Shush for a minute.  There’s one of your favorite treats in a little contraption out there wedged between the cooler and the cabinet.”  Moments later there was a satisfying ‘clank!’

Or ... the smart one was actually Ms. Mouse, and annoyed with Mr. Mouse for lollygagging around all day and getting under foot, she reminded him that it was his turn to pick up supper.  Curious whether he’d notice the trap setup that she’d figured out right off, she didn’t fill him in.  Moments later there was a predictable ‘clank!’  wink

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20713
Joined  11-03-2007

10 October 2018 14:17

Jan_CAN - 10 October 2018 01:31 PM

Or ... the smart one was actually Ms. Mouse, and annoyed with Mr. Mouse for lollygagging around all day and getting under foot, she reminded him that it was his turn to pick up supper.  Curious whether he’d notice the trap setup that she’d figured out right off, she didn’t fill him in.  Moments later there was a predictable ‘clank!’  wink

Does ASD have any actual evidence that it was the same mouse? One of the above scenarios could, in fact, be correct.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

10 October 2018 14:36

Do you know what a mice said when it saw a bat?
Mom, I see an angel!

What is a mouse’s favorite game?
Hide and squeak!

One lab mouse to another:  I’ve trained that crazy human at last.  How have you done that?  I don’t know how, but every time I run through that maze and ring the bell, he gives me a piece of cheese.

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher
Total Posts:  479
Joined  13-02-2017

11 October 2018 03:21

One lab mouse to another:  I’ve trained that crazy human at last.  How have you done that?  I don’t know how, but every time I run through that maze and ring the bell, he gives me a piece of cheese.

LOL. Nice!

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

11 October 2018 11:15

EN - 10 October 2018 02:17 PM
Jan_CAN - 10 October 2018 01:31 PM

Does Ana-l-P have any actual evidence that it was the same mouse? One of the above scenarios could, in fact, be correct.

Right.  I feel certain that Ana-l-P still has the smart mouse.  If, as Jan_CAN speculates, it was Ms. Mouse who sent Mr. Mouse to the slammer, she likely had a family of 8 only 20 days after ASD carted Mickey to his new home across the river.  A month later, Ms. Mouse’s 8 kids had families of their own, 43 of them with grandma’s smarts.

[ Edited: 12 October 2018 11:20 by unsmoked]

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  2969
Joined  26-03-2013

11 October 2018 12:51

ASD hasn’t posted on this thread. 

If you’re trying to rid your homes of mice I suggest you read them some of these threads.  And maybe they’ll save you the trouble and simply kill themselves.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

11 October 2018 13:06

LadyJane - 11 October 2018 12:51 PM

If you’re trying to rid your homes of mice I suggest you read them some of these threads.  And maybe they’ll save you the trouble and simply kill themselves.

Yeah, it was TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher who posted the amusing smart mouse anecdote.

It’s kinda funny in itself that this thread keeps going back to mice.  But then, the OP did say ‘the goofier the better’.

But maybe now it’s time for their antithesis - some funny cat videos perhaps?

[ Edited: 11 October 2018 14:01 by Jan_CAN]

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6866
Joined  15-05-2009

12 October 2018 07:15

I am astounded by the mouse story.  Are we implying that the smart mouse saw another mouse get trapped, and so decided to turn the trap on its side when he (she?) went inside later?  Or maybe the mouse was caught once and taken far away, but journeyed back to try again with the new strategy?  Either one is pretty amazing.  Maybe the mouse just happened to tip over the trap twice due to the idiosyncratic way it wiggled around while exploring the cube?  Guess we’ll never know…unless AP posts a video camera.

Here’s my mouse story:
When I was in college, I did a stint at a research station on a nature preserve in California.  My job was to catch and band scrub jays, release them, and then track their movements and find their nests.  We used large cage traps for the jays, baited with dog food pellets.  I came up with the idea to bait them with acorns instead, since this was their natural food.  It worked well, and I collected and stored acorns in my bedroom on the property. 

We students shared an old house.  One night, shortly after I turned off the lights to go to sleep, I heard a “tuttalump, tuttalump, tuttalump” sound in my room.  When I put on the light, I saw a mouse scurry into hiding.  When I turned off the light, the sound soon resumed.  I flipped on the light, and again the mouse scurried.  After the third time of “tuttalump,” I snapped on the light as quickly as I could.  I spied the mouse, rolling a large acorn across my shelf.  The mouse was comically frozen with its paws on the acorn for a moment in mid-roll.  Then it dashed off. 

The next day, I baited a Havahart box trap and caught the mouse.  I moved it away outside.  Then I could get some sleep!

We students continued to deal with mice in the house, however.  One morning after my shower, when I went to my dresser to get underwear, I discovered a momma mouse had, overnight, made a nest among my undies and cozied her newborn naked pink babies there.  Eek!  I ran into the kitchen, wrapped in my bath towel, to exclaim about the situation to my housemates.  Less than 5 minutes later, I brought my friends in to see the nest, and all the pinkies were gone!  Momma mouse had acted fast to move them out of harm’s way.  I never saw them again.

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher
Joined  13-02-2017

12 October 2018 08:01

Hey, wait a second.  Isn’t that like risking death myself to kill a mouse—a baby and bathwater like problem?!

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher
Joined  13-02-2017

12 October 2018 08:04

Cheshire Cat - 10 October 2018 01:16 PM

It’s funny, we find mice cute but rats scary. They are pretty similar except for size.

Yes.  When we were dealing with ants, the exterminator, ironically enough, kept pet rats.  We missed him so much we cancelled our contract when he moved on to other things (if I recall he was studying to become a pastor as well…).

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20713
Joined  11-03-2007

12 October 2018 09:14

My bad.  I meant Anal.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

12 October 2018 11:59

Cheshire Cat - 10 October 2018 01:16 PM

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20151207-the-countries-where-rats-are-on-the-menu

quote:  “The answers he got revealed a different view of the pesky pests. The respondents told Meyer-Rochow that rodent meat “is the most delicious and best meat they can imagine.”

“I was told: ‘No party; no happiness if there is no rat available: to honour an important guest, visitor or relative, to celebrate a special occasion; it can only be done if rats are on the menu.’”  [keep in mind these are country rats, not sewer rats]

In the U.S.?  “While not commonly seen on today’s menus, in the United States, squirrel (classified as a rodent) was once a much sought after treat. Fat, nut-fed grey squirrels used in Brunswick stew, which has been called the most famous dish to emerge from the campfires and cabins of Colonial America. Thomas Jefferson liked it. Today, squirrel is the country’s number two game animal (after deer), and many are still eaten.”  (Taken from Appropedia)

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1022
Joined  01-11-2014

12 October 2018 12:40

unsmoked - 12 October 2018 11:59 AM

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20151207-the-countries-where-rats-are-on-the-menu

quote:  “The answers he got revealed a different view of the pesky pests. The respondents told Meyer-Rochow that rodent meat “is the most delicious and best meat they can imagine.”

“I was told: ‘No party; no happiness if there is no rat available: to honour an important guest, visitor or relative, to celebrate a special occasion; it can only be done if rats are on the menu.’”  [keep in mind these are country rats, not sewer rats]

In the U.S.?  “While not commonly seen on today’s menus, in the United States, squirrel (classified as a rodent) was once a much sought after treat. Fat, nut-fed grey squirrels used in Brunswick stew, which has been called the most famous dish to emerge from the campfires and cabins of Colonial America. Thomas Jefferson liked it. Today, squirrel is the country’s number two game animal (after deer), and many are still eaten.”  (Taken from Appropedia)

Interesting post.

This gives me an idea for a new and different fast food chain…

Image Attachments

ratburger.png

< 1 2 3 4 5 >