1 2 3 >  Last ›

Exercise Routines & Diet

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20872
Joined  11-03-2007

07 October 2018 10:12

This is the “Get Healthy” thread.  This morning I did 1 1/2 hours at the gym, focusing on shoulders and quads. Then I did a brisk 2 mile walk. Then I mowed my front lawn (push mower).  Then shower and a tequila before going to eat Tex-Mex with my wife and two grandkids.  I’ll have chicken fajitas and the accompanying vegetables (peppers, onions, pico).  No tortillas, beans or rice. Maybe some sour cream.  This evening, a spinach salad and smoked salmon.  No more tequila until Friday night.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2714
Joined  21-10-2016

07 October 2018 10:53

EN - 07 October 2018 10:12 AM

This is the “Get Healthy” thread.  This morning I did 1 1/2 hours at the gym, focusing on shoulders and quads. Then I did a brisk 2 mile walk. Then I mowed my front lawn (push mower).  Then shower and a tequila before going to eat Tex-Mex with my wife and two grandkids.  I’ll have chicken fajitas and the accompanying vegetables (peppers, onions, pico).  No tortillas, beans or rice. Maybe some sour cream.  This evening, a spinach salad and smoked salmon.  No more tequila until Friday night.

Now, now ... you’re just going to make some of us feel guilty for having a lazy Sunday.

This morning I did 1 1/2 hours extra of sleep, focusing on not snoring.  Then I did a not-so-brisk 20-foot walk to the kitchen to make coffee, working on my biceps and triceps (large/heavy coffee cup).  Leftover casserole for supper, with beef, potatoes, tomatoes, cheese, and now a good dose of guilt.  And it’s our Thanksgiving tomorrow.  So I guess it better be lettuce for supper the rest of the week.

Don’t work too hard on those quads or you won’t look good in a tutu.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

07 October 2018 11:23

Jan_CAN - 07 October 2018 10:53 AM

Now, now ... you’re just going to make some of us feel guilty for having a lazy Sunday.

This morning I did 1 1/2 hours extra of sleep, focusing on not snoring.  Then I did a not-so-brisk 20-foot walk to the kitchen to make coffee, working on my biceps and triceps (large/heavy coffee cup).  Leftover casserole for supper, with beef, potatoes, tomatoes, cheese, and now a good dose of guilt.  And it’s our Thanksgiving tomorrow.  So I guess it better be lettuce for supper the rest of the week.

This is not a “feel guilty” thread. There is no judgment. Just post what you want and conceal what you will.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6605
Joined  15-02-2007

07 October 2018 11:24

Thanksgiving feast with the family tonight - I’m the chef.  I have bird allergies, so we’re doing:

Slow cooker roast pork in brown ale with garlic and onions
Oven Roast Baby Potatoes and Onions
Roast Sweet Potato slices with garlic and Parm
Corn Bread Stuffing
Onion and Pork gravy (made with the slow cooker drippings)
Mixed veggie salad
Bread rolls
Mom’s home made apple pie
Mom’s home made pumpkin pie

Mom is 85, so one of things we’re thankful for is that she’s still sharp, healthy and baking us pies.

There will be 15 of us at the table tonight to share fun, family laughs, and thankfulness for all of the good things in our lives.

Exercise for me is prepping dinner and the house for guests. Exercise for others will likely include how many trips to the food they make.  wink

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2714
Joined  21-10-2016

07 October 2018 11:35

EN - 07 October 2018 11:23 AM

This is not a “feel guilty” thread. There is no judgment. Just post what you want and conceal what you will.

Oops, I thought I was being funny, but I guess I missed ... sorry.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

07 October 2018 11:55

Jan_CAN - 07 October 2018 11:35 AM
EN - 07 October 2018 11:23 AM

Oops, I thought I was being funny, but I guess I missed ... sorry.

Nah, you’re cool. Have fun!

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17035
Joined  15-02-2008

07 October 2018 12:32

I strength train twice a day 7 days a week and walk/run 3-5 miles a day 7 days a week (did 4.5miles in 45min yesterday, a personal best for that distance).

My diet and routine is pretty simple:

Morning:

hand full of walnuts, Ibuprofen, multivitamin, 8 cups of coffee
workout (1 muscle group), hi-pro cold oatmeal concoction I made up

Afternoon:

8 cups coffee throughout day
protein bar 11am, walk/run 3-5miles, protein bar 1pm

Evening:

8oz chopped cabbage salad, 4oz ultra lean ham, shredded cheese and dressing, Ibuprofen, multivitamin
nap
4 cups of coffee
workout (1 muscle group)  hi-pro cold oatmeal
2-3 protein bars throughout the evening as watch TV, play games, or fight with people on the internet

Weekend:

about the same but I do have one beer (22oz bomber) on Sat nights and I do usually eat a normal lunch and have treats, but Sundays I scale it back and dinner is cabbage salad again as I get back to my standard routine.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

07 October 2018 15:04

GAD - 07 October 2018 12:32 PM

I strength train twice a day 7 days a week and walk/run 3-5 miles a day 7 days a week (did 4.5miles in 45min yesterday, a personal best for that distance).

My diet and routine is pretty simple:

Morning:

hand full of walnuts, Ibuprofen, multivitamin, 8 cups of coffee
workout (1 muscle group), hi-pro cold oatmeal concoction I made up

Afternoon:

8 cups coffee throughout day
protein bar 11am, walk/run 3-5miles, protein bar 1pm

Evening:

8oz chopped cabbage salad, 4oz ultra lean ham, shredded cheese and dressing, Ibuprofen, multivitamin
nap
4 cups of coffee
workout (1 muscle group)  hi-pro cold oatmeal
2-3 protein bars throughout the evening as watch TV, play games, or fight with people on the internet

Weekend:

about the same but I do have one beer (22oz bomber) on Sat nights and I do usually eat a normal lunch and have treats, but Sundays I scale it back and dinner is cabbage salad again as I get back to my standard routine.

That’s pretty serious.  22 oz of beer and that’s it?  Wow.

Why so much ibuprofen?

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

07 October 2018 16:09

EN - 07 October 2018 03:04 PM

That’s pretty serious.  22 oz of beer and that’s it?  Wow.

Why so much ibuprofen?

I’m old, everything aches, and I’m pushing some heavy loads in my routine.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

08 October 2018 09:59

Getting serious about higher fat/lower carbs until Thanksgiving (USA Thanksgiving, that is).  Trying to get into ketosis for a while, but not past T-Day.  Workout tonight is on biceps & hamstrings. Then maybe doing a little mowing in the backyard before it gets dark.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  7004
Joined  15-05-2009

08 October 2018 14:07

I found out I have osteoporosis, so I started strength training.  Probably my thin build and genetics.  I’ve always been a big walker/hiker, so I’m fit, but not particularly strong.  I dislike lifting weights, but my coach is a young, friendly, knowledgeable gal, so I get through it in a good mood.  One day training, and two more on my own per week.  I walk/hike nearly every day, a few miles.  That’s also my de-stressor.  Bummer to have osteoporosis, but I’m just at the beginning of the curve, so maybe I can arrest it.

By the way, if you want to see what serious drive, training, vision, and insanity look like, go see Free Solo, the amazing film about the man who climbed El Capitan in Yosemite last year, alone with no protection…in 3.5 hours.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

08 October 2018 18:34

hannahtoo - 08 October 2018 02:07 PM

I found out I have osteoporosis, so I started strength training.  Probably my thin build and genetics.  I’ve always been a big walker/hiker, so I’m fit, but not particularly strong.  I dislike lifting weights, but my coach is a young, friendly, knowledgeable gal, so I get through it in a good mood.  One day training, and two more on my own per week.  I walk/hike nearly every day, a few miles.  That’s also my de-stressor.  Bummer to have osteoporosis, but I’m just at the beginning of the curve, so maybe I can arrest it.

By the way, if you want to see what serious drive, training, vision, and insanity look like, go see Free Solo, the amazing film about the man who climbed El Capitan in Yosemite last year, alone with no protection…in 3.5 hours.

Sorry. Weights should help.  What is your routine?  Are you adding calcium to your diet?

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  7004
Joined  15-05-2009

08 October 2018 19:17

EN - 08 October 2018 06:34 PM
hannahtoo - 08 October 2018 02:07 PM

Sorry. Weights should help.  What is your routine?  Are you adding calcium to your diet?

Yeah, it’s a bummer.  But not impacting my lifestyle at this point, except that backpacking is definitely in my past now.  Also, it’s hard for me to ignore the fact that I am officially not young anymore.  Sixty is not the new 30.

I’m doing hand weights, and squats with weights, and leg presses, etc.  Yes, taking calcium.  But I had it explained to me this way:  If I wanted to build muscle, I wouldn’t just eat protein—I’d have to do exercises too.  So strengthening bones takes exercise as well supplements.  Also mineral tablets can sometimes lead to kidney stones, so I’m taking tablets for about half my requirement, but also eating more dairy, which I love.  More cheese is a happy thing.  Ice cream for dessert is now therapeutic, right?  And you know, my grandpa was a short, slight-built, wiry guy, who had a big bowl of ice cream every night after dinner, and he lived to be 90.  I should be so lucky.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

08 October 2018 22:05

I have a 4 day routine.

Day 1:
morning - chest
evening - shoulders
Day 2:
morning - biceps
evening - abs
Day 3:
morning - back
evening - triceps
Day 4:
morning - abs
evening - legs

Tonight was legs - weight 184 (body weight +15)
3x15 though ball of foot to target quads
3x15 though heel of foot to target hams and gluts
3x5 single leg (pistol squat) though ball
3x5 single leg (pistol squat) though heel

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

09 October 2018 07:19

GAD - 08 October 2018 10:05 PM

I have a 4 day routine.

Day 1:
morning - chest
evening - shoulders
Day 2:
morning - biceps
evening - abs
Day 3:
morning - back
evening - triceps
Day 4:
morning - abs
evening - legs

Tonight was legs - weight 184 (body weight +15)
3x15 though ball of foot to target quads
3x15 though heel of foot to target hams and gluts
3x5 single leg (pistol squat) though ball
3x5 single leg (pistol squat) though heel

You should be ripped if you only weigh 169.  That’s a pretty advanced routine.  I’m in the gym 6 days a week, and I have good strength and my weight is much better than it used to be.  But in my mind, I still have a body that more resembles a beer swilling Trappist Monk.

[ Edited: 09 October 2018 07:22 by EN]

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

09 October 2018 07:42

EN - 09 October 2018 07:19 AM

You should be ripped if you only weigh 169.  That’s a pretty advanced routine.  I’m in the gym 6 days a week, and I have good strength and my weight is much better than it used to be.  But in my mind, I still have a body that more resembles a beer swilling Trappist Monk.

I am pretty ripped.

1 2 3 >  Last ›