‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

Exercise Routines & Diet

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17032
Joined  15-02-2008

11 October 2018 09:22

This morning was back, it’s my hardest workout, pull-ups, rows, pull-overs and high pulls. A year ago when I added strength training to my routine I hadn’t did a pull-up in probably 30 years, now I’m able to do body weight +15, but it’s hard. My goal is always 30 reps with a min of two set and adjust from there, I’m not there on the back yet except for rows, for pull-ups was 10,7,7,7,7 today, I did a bonus set to try and build up more quickly as I want to move my machine up a level by Nov as I roughly follow progressive-overload.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7024
Joined  22-02-2014

11 October 2018 09:30

GAD - 11 October 2018 09:22 AM

This morning was back, it’s my hardest workout, pull-ups, rows, pull-overs and high pulls. A year ago when I added strength training to my routine I hadn’t did a pull-up in probably 30 years, now I’m able to do body weight +15, but it’s hard. My goal is always 30 reps with a min of two set and adjust from there, I’m not there on the back yet except for rows, for pull-ups was 10,7,7,7,7 today, I did a bonus set to try and build up more quickly as I want to move my machine up a level by Nov as I roughly follow progressive-overload.

If your goal is to add strength, you’re doing it wrong.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3580
Joined  20-11-2013

11 October 2018 12:18

GAD - 10 October 2018 07:01 PM
EN - 10 October 2018 05:48 PM
GAD - 10 October 2018 05:07 PM
EN - 10 October 2018 02:15 PM

I’m 66. GAD, how old are you?

Old?  You ain’t seen old yet! Get ripped now cuz “Old” is gonna kick your flexed ass.  Seriously, old age is not for sissies.  Things hurt for no damn reason.
Good luck.

Well fuck, that splains alot, like why I am the only hot, ripped, tight assed, smart, funny, reasonable person here, y’all are the walking dead. you don’t need coffee you need formaldehyde.

I’m 73, 6’, 205 pounds.  Disclaimer: I last worked in early May.  My next geology project (I tried to retire but got an offer I couldn’t refuse) will likely begin in January, and run 3 to 4 months.  My work has been my workout routine, comparable to a free-weight workout.  Obviously, I’ll need to make some changes when I do, in fact, retire.

In logging prospect core, I also have to bag the splits, put them in the bed of the pickup to take to the lab, then unload them onto tables under a pole barn at the lab.  The bagging involves placing chunks of core into heavy-duty plastic bags (average weight 20+ pounds per bag) and lining them up on the ground behind the truck.

After everything is bagged, I write out split cards and sample tags to identify each bag for each split and each hole, then lift the bags from the ground to the tailgate, one in each hand.  I then hold a bag off the tailgate with one hand and spin it with the other in order to close it at the top with a zip-tie.  I carry the closed bags around to the side of the truck bed, keeping my arms bent at the elbow, and load them in a numerical order, starting at the front of the bed and working toward to tailgate.  I double-stack the bags.  I toss about half the bags into place.  I alternate arms (half left-handed, half right-handed) throughout, to even out the load over the course of the day.

At the lab, I unload the bags in sequence, because the holes need to be kept together in a reasonable order.  I climb into the truck bed, move the bags to the tailgate, in order, for a complete hole.  I do this leaning over at the waist, my feet relatively in the center of the truck bed, so that I can lift each bag and swing it to the tailgate.  I do this with one in each hand, to even out the load on my trunk.  I line them up in rows of 4 (I can reach that far into the truck bed from the ground).  After I’ve transferred one row, I turn around so that I can swing in the opposite direction.  When the hole is in order, I return to the ground and lift the bags two at a time (one in each hand), walk them over to the table (6’ -8’ walk) keeping my arms bent at the elbow, then stack them on the table back to front, 3 to 4 across, depending on the number of bags per hole.  The tables are 10’ long by 4’ wide.  I don’t toss the bags, I extend my arms and place them on the table.  Most holes require a double-stack on the table.  We do 4 holes a day, so that’s 4 times getting in and out of the truck bed.

I ran some numbers to get an average day’s workout.  I handle 56 bags (20+ pounds) per day, alternating hands/arms.  23 lifts from ground level to waist level (bag in each hand), 56 1/8 curls (zip-tieing the bags), 23 trunk rotations (bag in each hand), half to the left, half to the right, 23 short carries (one in each hand) and extensions.

Breakfast when I’m working is two chocolate-iced donuts and a medium diet Coke, lunch is a grilled chicken caeser or ranch salad or turkey medallion salad, and afternoon snack (the drive to the lab) is a diet Coke and a king-size Hershey with almonds bar.  Supper is often a salad or something with grilled chicken.

I had bloodwork done a couple of months ago, and my doctor said everything was perfect, except my B12 was low.  So I’m eating more beef, some liver, and taking a B12 supplement daily.  Oh, and I start every day with two or three cups of coffee, sugar and cream.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6603
Joined  15-02-2007

11 October 2018 16:29

I exercise regularly and practice fairly rigid portion control.
Lately my wife and I have been serving a 2-course dinner and lightening up fairly heavily on the starch/carbs (for at least one meal of the day).
Carbs and protein for breakers, veggie and fruit heavy at lunch,  veggie (and protein most nights) for dinner.  We try to stay in the 2000 (her) to 2400 (me) calorie range, but aren’t hardliners about it.
We also go meatless 1 or 2 times a week - mainly convenience.  And we eat fish a fair amount.

We’re doing ok. 

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6161
Joined  31-01-2012

11 October 2018 18:20

Lol if I wasn’t a passifist I’d bully all your fat asses. Because I work out for real now.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6603
Joined  15-02-2007

11 October 2018 18:23

Jb8989 - 11 October 2018 06:20 PM

Lol if I wasn’t a passifist I’d bully all your fat asses. Because I work out for real now.

Curling shake shack cheeseburgers doesn’t count as a workout.  wink

[ Edited: 11 October 2018 18:27 by Jefe]

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

11 October 2018 19:21

Jefe - 11 October 2018 06:23 PM
Jb8989 - 11 October 2018 06:20 PM

Curling shake shack cheeseburgers doesn’t count as a workout.  wink

First of all…yes it does.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

11 October 2018 19:37

icehorse - 11 October 2018 09:30 AM
GAD - 11 October 2018 09:22 AM

If your goal is to add strength, you’re doing it wrong.

I do what works for me. But OK, lets see what you are selling.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

11 October 2018 19:42

Here is my machine.

Image Attachments

IMG_20180709_091031593_S.jpg

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

11 October 2018 20:06

GAD -

If your tendons and ligaments and such are strong and in good shape (and it sounds like your are), AND

you want to add strength as quickly as possible then you should do “train heavy” lifting. For each muscle group that you train, you need to use enough weight so that you will go to total failure in between 6 and 12 reps. Do one set to total failure and then rest that muscle group for 4 days.

You can thank me in a few months when you won’t be able to keep the gym babes off your massive physique smile

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

11 October 2018 20:27

icehorse - 11 October 2018 08:06 PM

GAD -

If your tendons and ligaments and such are strong and in good shape (and it sounds like your are), AND

you want to add strength as quickly as possible then you should do “train heavy” lifting. For each muscle group that you train, you need to use enough weight so that you will go to total failure in between 6 and 12 reps. Do one set to total failure and then rest that muscle group for 4 days.

You can thank me in a few months when you won’t be able to keep the gym babes off your massive physique smile

Lol, you and GAD that’s only half true. The other part is that you have to be part beast.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

11 October 2018 20:30

GAD - 11 October 2018 07:42 PM

Here is my machine.

That looks like something I’d rather than workout, waterboard BM.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

11 October 2018 20:53

icehorse - 11 October 2018 08:06 PM

GAD -

That is true if I were body building, I’m not, I’m strength training.

It’s a scale, on the low end light weights to tone up through endurance hitting one type of muscle fiber, on the other end is body building, heavy weights (90% of maximal) with low reps hitting another type of muscle fiber that build bulk, strength training is in the middle and hits both but slower on the bulk. I do 60-70% of maximal which works for me. I tried to go big and got hurt and was out for 6 weeks, so slow and steady is best for me.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20872
Joined  11-03-2007

12 October 2018 04:34

Getting hurt is the danger on going big, and at 66 things do not heal as fast as they used to.  I’ve had to back off on weight.  My left shoulder still hasn’t completely recovered from a strain 9 months ago.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

12 October 2018 07:20

It might be semantics. What does “strength training” mean? It might mean maintaining current strength, it might mean increasing your muscles’ capacity. The only way to increase capacity is to work a muscle a bit past its current capacity. It will be slightly damaged and it will be motivated to repair itself to be stronger. But if you don’t stress the muscle, it will resist rebuilding. It takes a lot of resources to rebuild, and it won’t do it unless it has to.

But mostly I would agree with the advice to be cautious - I started out with the qualifier of needing strong tissue to begin with. At the ripe old age of 60, my “train heavy” days are over.

‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›