Pattern matching and themes in the Quran

lynmc

lynmc
Total Posts:  463
Joined  03-08-2014

14 October 2018 10:28

GAD - 12 October 2018 08:15 PM
lynmc - 12 October 2018 07:53 PM

Not to get into it, but certain prominent streams of Jewish thinking approve of rape of young girls, and I can’t even say they’re fringe:

And that is the problem with ALL religions, they are 1000’s of year old ignorance, myth, magic and superstition that people believe and base their lives on. Only with religion do you have men fighting and killing each over if god allows raping young girls or killing non-virgin or disobedient ones. So all your argument amounts to is which version of ignorance, myth, magic and superstition is the right version when it should be against the ignorance, myth, magic and superstition of religion.

I have no opinion as to which interpretation (or version) of any religious scriptures is the “correct” interpretation.  Can you explain why you think that’s my argument?

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17539
Joined  15-02-2008

14 October 2018 11:38

lynmc - 14 October 2018 10:28 AM
GAD - 12 October 2018 08:15 PM
lynmc - 12 October 2018 07:53 PM

Not to get into it, but certain prominent streams of Jewish thinking approve of rape of young girls, and I can’t even say they’re fringe:

And that is the problem with ALL religions, they are 1000’s of year old ignorance, myth, magic and superstition that people believe and base their lives on. Only with religion do you have men fighting and killing each over if god allows raping young girls or killing non-virgin or disobedient ones. So all your argument amounts to is which version of ignorance, myth, magic and superstition is the right version when it should be against the ignorance, myth, magic and superstition of religion.

I have no opinion as to which interpretation (or version) of any religious scriptures is the “correct” interpretation.

Which begs the question of why you spend your time defending Islam/Muslims. 

Can you explain why you think that’s my argument?

You used some Jewish sects apparent approval of rape of young girls as a counterargument to claims made my icehorse about Islam/Muslims as if that makes it OK vs saying that ANY religion that supports such ideas is a worthless pile of shit.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21500
Joined  11-03-2007

14 October 2018 16:10

GAD, I suggest a different order for your favorite four words - ignorance, myth, magic and superstition.  I suggest myth, ignorance, magic and superstition.  Then you can use the acronym MIMS and everyone will remember it, and you won’t have to write it out everytime.  Newcomers will be asking “what is MIMS” and then you will have a teachable moment.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6339
Joined  22-02-2005

14 October 2018 17:17

Better yet, leave them in the order they are.

For GAD sakes, I have a song in the works!

Hesperado

Hesperado
Total Posts:  112
Joined  19-05-2015

04 November 2018 22:45

” at the beginning of this thread there is a link to a webpage that lists over 500 times that the Quran preaches intolerance of nonMuslims.”

My favorite, for its refreshing succinctness and clarity, is Koran 98:6:

“Verily, the Kuffar from among the People of the Scripture and the Mushrikoon will abide in the fire of Hell. They are the worst of creatures.”

If you’re a Jew or Christian (People of the Book) and you don’t submit to Allah and follow Muhammad, you would be generously included under the category of “Kuffar”, and if you are an unbeliever of other categories (e.g., an atheist or agnostic), you’re a Mushreek. (Speaking of incoherence, this distinction implied in this verse 98:6 seems to be contradicted by the logic of verses 9:28-31, where it effectively argues that the People of the Book are “associating partners” with Allah—i.e., Mushrikoon)

‹ First  < 3 4 5